June 2017 Moms
Options

Any other mamas with autoimmune conditions?

Hey there everyone! I apologize if this has been discussed before but I haven't noticed it if it has. Anyone else dealing with autoimmune conditions during pregnancy? I thought we could discuss some of the issues that are unique to us.

I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2011 and since then I've had it more or less maintained with medication. I take plaquenil daily and both my rheumatologist and my MFM (who I'm seeing because of my lupus diagnosis) recommended I stay on it throughout pregnancy. I'll also be taking a baby aspirin until 36 weeks. The MFM told me that I would be induced at 39 weeks if I don't go into labor on my own by then to avoid fetal distressed (increased risk) at the end. Anyone else heard of this? I asked my rheumatologist about this at my last appointment with him and he disagreed that this is an increased risk, which is making me wonder if my MFM is just being extra cautious. He did however tell me that I have an increased risk of going into labor early anyway though.

Anyone else seeing an MFM for autoimmune issues?
***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20

Re: Any other mamas with autoimmune conditions?

• Options
    I'm sorry that you are struggling with that. I have hashimoto disease, it's a thyroid issue. I was diagnosed right before I got pregnant and it's been a wild ride since. I see an MFM and I will be monitored every two weeks after 20 weeks to make sure baby is growing.
  • Options
    I have eosinophilic esophagitis. My immune system attacks my esophogus and stomach lining when I eat certain proteins, kind of like celiac for the esophagus. I just tell people it's food allergies because it's much easier to say that then explain the actual mechanism. 

If my symptoms flare up (because I'm naughty) I have to take a PPI and spray steroid into my throat. It's awful. 

For the most part if I avoid the allergens I'm ok. Only severe reaction to this point has been to milk and beef. And that was scary. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    My issues shouldn't have any effect on pregnancy. I'm following a high risk OB because I was born with a congenital heart defect. 

Oddly enough, pregnancy suppresses your immune system and if I slip up I feel the effects less than when not pregnant. 

@wifeinraleigh28 Does your MFM have any research or evidence you can read up on and share with your OB? See if you can find a middle ground you can come to between the two? 

Edit: tag
  • Options
    Hashimotos's here. @neludelu would love to hear more about your treatment because my OB is not doing anything special for the hashis. Which annoys me and I have to go to my pcp for extra blood work. 

@Mother0fDragons my brother has a congenital heart defect, so I will be getting a fetal echo done at some point. 

• Options
    @Knottie42089123 First off, tagging you is the worst! You need a non-generic name!!! Also, our fetal echo is around 24 weeks. So I'm guessing that's when you'll have one. That's great they're being thorough for family history. It definitely brings you peace of mind getting it checked. 
  • Options
    I have Crohn's disease which has strangely went into remission the last year or so and I have absolutely no signs of it whatsoever since I've been pregnant! I'm sorry the struggles for everyone else with an autoimmune disease, they are rough. I also have to go see a high risk OB for the first time on the 10th of January, because I was also born with congenital heart defects. I see a special congenital cardiologist who says I'm doing awesome but still has me coming in for ECHOS every trimester. I also have a fetal echo on the 24th, which is 21/ 22 weeks for me I think. It's amazing the stuff that they can do! 
  • Options
    There is a high risk board. I was looking at it as I am high risk due to two other health concerns. I remember seeing a post over there about someone else with an autoimmune disease. I don't remember how old of a post it was or if it would even be relevant but thought I would point you in that direction just in case it is helpful too. 
  • Options
    @Knottie42089123 I have Hashis too but because my thyroid has been well controlled for awhile with no swings... my OB is fine watching it without a MFM but also is OK that I'm getting blood draws with my endocrinologist monthly... we've already had to adjust my meds unfortunately.

Also, I have some other endocrinology issues and another undiagnosed autoimmune condition... my endocrinologist is partnering with my rheumatologist as they believe I have a connective tissue disorder but blood word and traditional diagnosis requirements haven't been met but we *think* it is sjogren's and potentially more... but I'm hoping it's only sjogren's and I have an awesome optometrist  (my BIL) and a wonderful dentist that are both watching over me like a hawk!
  • Options
    @michaela0704 my MIL was just diagnosed with Sjogren's! Don't know much about it other than her eyes being very irritated. Good thing you have such a knowledgeable support system!
  • Options
    Another Hashimoto's here.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only lady here dealing with autoimmune problems, but I'm so sorry that we're all going through this! I feel very fortunate that my lupus is controlled with medication and that the medication I've been on for years is safe for pregnancy, otherwise going off of it could make me flare up! I've been told though that since pregnancy lowers your immune system, people who suffer from autoimmune disorders usually do see some relief during pregnancy. At least there's that!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    @wifeinraleigh28 i'm lurking from october 16, but i have lupus and crohns and an amazing almost 3 month old, if you have any questions about a lupus pregnancy feel free to pm me!!!!! (and yes i stayed on the plaquenil and baby aspirin too) 
  • Options
    I have a blood clotting disorder... high risk the whole way through for me!
  • Options
    I have  Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, or EDS, in my family and am lucky enough to not be labeled as High Risk because I haven't been diagnosed... yet. It takes years to get a diagnosis and the only thing that can be done is treating symptoms as they flare up. 

I basically treat my pregnancies as though I've been diagnosed. My biggest issue is with hormone levels in my body, specifically adrenaline and relaxin. The adrenaline makes sleep almost non-existent at times and the relaxin in 3rd will make everything hurt more than normal (also made my feet grow 2 sizes while expecting DD and never go back). Bi-weekly massages and heating blankets help with some of that pain management. I have yet to find something for the sleep that works consistently.