July 2017 Moms

Exercise/Fitness Check-In 12/23

Feel free to check-in using the template below or just let us know how you're doing!

1: How far along are you?  

2: How was your last week?

3: What are your goals for the week ahead?  

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? 

5: Rants/Raves/Questions?

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Exercise/Fitness Check-In 12/23

• 1: How far along are you?  12w3d

2: How was your last week? great! Got in 6 days this week (I use my Fitbit to keep track and it starts Sundays). 3 lifting/cardio, 2 swim workouts, 1 bike trainer and core. Keeping up the workouts really helps my energy and I think it has helped my m/s be a little less severe than last time. All days except one I reached my step goal but that day I swam 2.5 miles in an hour for a swim challenge. 

3: What are your goals for the week ahead?  same as before- 5 days a week, 12-15k steps a days. 

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? well it's Christmas so lots of treating will be going on! 

5: Rants/Raves/Questions? just grateful to be able to maintain being active this time and really physically feeling in a better spot than last time. Now I just need baby to not be breech!

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) So I have 2 easy meals I make when I don't have a ton of time: one is a chicken enchilada bake. I slow cook chicken in Frontera red enchilada sauce (soon to be in an instapot!) and then layer it between cheddar cheese, peppers, tomatoes, onions and corn tortillas like a Casserole and bake. Easy and only fat is in the cheese. I also love a good stuffed peppers with 93-7 lean ground beef with veggies, brown rice and a little cheese. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1: How far along are you?  10w5d

2: How was your last week? Better and worse...I saw the trainer 3 times, but my energy level is pathetic. I cannot stomach food, particularly dinner, and so my diet has been awful. 

3: What are your goals for the week ahead?  Honestly, rest. I'm on winter break this week, and I am hoping the week off will do me a world of good on the MS front. Maybe I'll be able to eat some normal food. I'd love to be able to stoma

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? see #3

5: Rants/Raves/Questions? I hate how bad this morning sickness is, and I feel whiny and pathetic at the gym.

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) idk...I can't even think of food.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1: How far along are you?  10w 3d

2: How was your last week? On the plus side, seems like I've lucked out in the nausea department, only few bad days over the past few weeks... on the minus side, I have had zero energy all week and have barely accomplished anything at all... today was a little better, did spin class for the first time in two weeks!

3: What are your goals for the week ahead?  Try to exercise more regularly. Already signed up for barre tomorrow and Sunday :)

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? Not sure about this one 

5: Rants/Raves/Questions? Um not exercise related but I'm kind of shocked over how things are run by the admins on this site - that someone can show up here, say a bunch of totally crazy things and insult everyone; and yet others get warnings etc ... I haven't been an active member of tb before getting pregnant so I'm not sure if this is "normal"?!

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) I don't have any good recipes but we recently started doing blue apron and like it so far 

• 1: How far along are you?  9w4d

2: How was your last week? Decent. Taking it easy, yoga, Pilates, and walking. Fresh air helps my nausea, but getting warm and sweaty does NOT. 

3: What are your goals for the week ahead? Walking every day, the usual 200 squats a day, and Pilates 3 times a week. 

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? I'd kill for wine!! But instead, I'll just enjoy some tamales and Mexican wedding cookies (so glad I married into a big Mexican family)! 

5: Rants/Raves/Questions? Nada

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? Grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. Easy and delicious, my baby and husband both love it, so it's a win. 
  • @mrscate88 200 squats a day?!!!! Damn girl!!! The force is strong with you, young padawan...
  • @mj8215 it used to be a lot crazier. The June 2014 board imploded and took the rest of TB with it and since then they are been extremely strict with banning and closing threads etc. in terms of the randos they may get banned too but because we didn't even know them doesn't make as much of an impact but they can do some damage before they go 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm joining in for inspiration and motivation! 

1: How far along are you?  

10w1d
    2: How was your last week?
    Got in two runs but energy is low and I'm a carb monster! I hit a feeling gross point after so many cookies and really want to eat more greens & exercise more but January is already looking crazy at work... 
    I have this week off and DD is at camp, so I have three goals: get some work out of the way, go watch some movies, and 3 runs + a Hatha yoga class. 
    4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? 
    Not eat so much crap. Ate too much crap this past week. 
    5: Rants/Raves/Questions?
    When do you guys work out? 
    6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) 
    if it were just me I'd be eating kale salad everyday because I love kale but dh and DD don't - we meal plan so we have a lot of great go-tos: the chicken lentil soup recipe for instant pot is a huge hit here, and a favorite of mine is chicken thighs with cous cous and kale 
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited December 2016
    @satsumasandlemons I just got a instantpot and those sound great with some gluten free grain subs! I love kale and everyone in my family seems to enjoy my oven "fried" kale. all I do is massage kale with extra virgin olive oil, fresh chopped garlic and salt and pepper and bake at 400F for 15-20 min until some is crispy and rest is cooked. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mj8215 said:
    @mrscate88 200 squats a day?!!!! Damn girl!!! The force is strong with you, young padawan...
    Haha, it is harder this time around, don't get me wrong! With last years pregnancy, it was a piece of cake but I had no nausea or tiredness. This time, I'm lucky if I finish them! 
  • Omg you all are my heros!!! I am +12 weeks now and waiting to be able to keep some food other than bread down! With my first DS pregnancy, I swam laps in an Olympic size pool 4-5 days a week, cardio, weights...it was great. Up until delivery of my baby! BUT with that pregnancy I had zero morning sickness and insomnia! Every day I'm like TODAYS THE DAY I WORKOUT!!!! Then I can hardly get around my home. Plus, weirdly my foot(something inside my foot) has been killing me! It wakes me up at night throbbing. I feel so soft and weak....I don't enjoy this. 
  • JAM85 said:
    @satsumasandlemons I just got a instantpot and those sound great with some gluten free grain subs! I love kale and everyone in my family seems to enjoy my oven "fried" kale. all I do is massage kale with extra virgin olive oil, fresh chopped garlic and salt and pepper and bake at 400F for 15-20 min until some is crispy and rest is cooked. 
    Going to make this tomorrow!! 
  • Question for you guys - I didn't realize a heart rate over 140 was bad for baby. I definitely clear 140 on my runs - I'm not even going that fast! Should I not? 

From The Bump: "Is It Safe To Get My Heartbeat Over 140 Beats Per Minute?" https://www.thebump.com/a/safe-heart-rate-while-pregnant Get the free Bump App: https://bit.ly/1UEYuli
  • @satsumasandlemons my doctor's advice was any exercise I was doing pre-pregnancy was ok, with any contact sport or very heavy lifting being an exception. I was doing a lot of cardio (running as well as aerobics) and she gave that her stamp of approval without a heart rate limitation so that is the advice I'm following. However, I did stop doing HIIT workouts because they made me pass out on a few occasions (I blame this on not eating before heading to the gym). Other than that my workout routine is pretty much the same. I would talk to your doctor if you are concerned. 

• Thanks @oheliza44 - I wasn't too concerned before I read that because I've been a runner for a lot longer than I've been a mom and it didn't feel like I was overdoing it. I'll make sure to ask my dr about it for safe measure next time I see her but yeah, not overly worried! 
  • Whoops, I'm totally late to the party here.

@satsumasandlemons My OB said that the 140 is a general rule, but that anything I did before pg should be fine now. She didn't seem too worried about elevated HR. I plan to ask my new Midwife at my first appt in January, but I'd be shocked if she said anything different! Still wouldn't be a bad idea to check with your doctor.

1: How far along are you? 9+6

2: How was your last week? Alright. Lots of longer walks with the holiday weekend. Plus, I got a speed/cadence sensor for my bike trainer for Christmas, so now I actually know how fast/far I'm going!

3: What are your goals for the week ahead? Hopefully getting some runs in (it's been tough with the stupid sun setting before I leave work). Also more trainer rides and strength.

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? Oh, I already treated myself plenty last weekend. Honestly all I want right now is real food.

5: Rants/Raves/Questions? Is the instapot you all are talking about the same thing as a crock pot? I've never heard that before!

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) I feel like this is cheating because it is so easy, but on busy nights where we still want to be healthy, we toss chicken breasts in the crock pot and cover with salsa. Cook on low for 8 hours, then the meat can be used on anything: whole wheat tortillas for tacos, over brown rice as a burrito bowl, or in salads!

Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• thanks, @RunRestRepeat

RE: Instantpot - it's not the same thing as a Crock Pot - they're both brands, though: Instant Pot is a brand of pressure cooker and the Crock Pot is a brand of slow cooker. 

The Instant pot is pretty awesome - and has a setting for slow cooker so technically, once you have the Instant Pot, you don't really need the Crock Pot anymore. I haven't used that option, however, and although I havent really mastered converting slow cooker recipes to pressure cooker recipes, I did do one or two conversations - slow cooker recipes for beef that basically took like, 30 min to make vs. the 4-6 hours in the slow cooker!!! 

I am DEFINITELY going to try your chicken and salsa recipe  - sounds amazing and so easy! but i may sub for chicken thighs because I'm not a white meat person - do you think that'd be okay? 
  • @satsumasandlemons WHAT? How have I never heard of an Instant Pot before?! If my kitchen wasn't so tiny, I'd definitely be looking at getting one - but we have too many gadgets as is.

And I definitely think you could use chicken thighs! I've never tried it so you might have to modify cooking times, but it should work just fine. I always put them in raw (thawed or frozen) and then just shred once they are cooked.

Another favorite is to put in a trimmed pork loin with salt, pepper, chili powder. Then cover with root beer. It sounds gross, but once done you drain off the root beer, shred the pork, and add your favorite bbq sauce! Sounds crazy, but it's so tender and good!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• I'm sorry yall. I'm late, and i.always forget to post here.

: How far along are you? 13 weeks today

2: How was your last week? Pretty good. I skipped my workout Friday, Saturday, and Monday. We were out of town and with Christmas and all it was hard to find time. 

3: What are your goals for the week ahead? No goals really, just maintain my weight this week and do my workouts everyday.

4: How are you going to treat yourself this week/celebrate your body and its accomplishments? I usually make myself a chocolate covered cherry protein shake every other day as a treat. 

5: Rants/Raves/Questions? I want to start yoga, does anyone have any good easy yoga workouts? I haven't done it in a while. So I don't want to just jump right in, especially since I'm having a lot of scar tissue pain. 

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner? (If you have bad m/s still like a lot of us what WAS your favorite?) maybe I'm cheating but we do taco salad. Lettuce, tomato, olives, mild Pico de Gallo, and low sodium seasoned meat, avacodo, and cheese. No tortillas or chips. It seems to be what I can eat with ms but i haven't been nauseated in a few days so I can incorporate more recipies. 
  • @ashaw512 I've been doing yoga for years but wanted some workouts tailored to pregnancy since my gym doesn't offer prenatal yoga. I just ordered a few pregnancy yoga dvds off amazon for $5 including shipping. There are a ton of options, all super cheap if you don't mind buying them used.
  • satsumasandlemons I have read that advice used to be around heart rate but now it's more common for advice to be around not being too out of breath, feeling faint or overheating. 

1: How far along are you?  12 weeks, 5 days

2: How was your last week? It's been a week of excess but I have also managed a bit more exercise after a dreadfully sedentary few months.

Small goals, making 10000 steps every day and seriously cutting down on sugar intake!

Yet to be decided...

6: GTKY: What is your favorite go-to healthy dinner?
    I love vegetable soups for a healthy meal. Easy to freeze portions as well! 
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited December 2016
    @ashaw512 I subscribe to the Gaia network on Amazon and stream prenatal yoga through them. Great variety and when your not pregnant also an awesome mix of yoga.

@satsumasandlemons  as for 140BPM that is pretty outdated. Most OBs will tell you to use the talk test- you should be able to hold somewhat of a conversation during whatever you are doing. If you can't get many words out because your breathless then you need to take it down a notch. My HR became incredibly sensitive as soon as I got pregnant and jumps high quickly so I have to watch it. Usually I'm around 120 for cardio (bike, elliptical) and obviously no idea for swimming as my tracker isn't waterproof and for lifting it's around 110 average as I do supersets. Basically listen to your body and use common sense. 

I made chicken breast "carnitas" with Frontera carne asada marinade in my instant pot and it was amazing! We had it 2 nights one with corn tortillas and the other with brown rice. So good and easy. Will definitely try the salsa out!
    BabyFruit Ticker