September 2015 Moms

Whiny/Clingy/unhappy LO

Someone please tell me your kid is the same way? I need to know my LO isnt the only intensely whiny, unhappy, constantly fussy and clingy toddler out there. It's reached fever pitch. Her daycare lady appears at her wits end with it as well. It seriously has me in a bit of a funk, I'm really depressed over it. It makes leaving her with others a real nightmare, I feel guilty other people have to watch such a whiny miserable kid  and I feel horrible my LO isn't a happy content kid. What gives? I'm really at my boiling point and on the verge of burnout. I actually found myself waking up the other day with pure dread washed over me knowing I was going to be with her all day, unable to please or satisfy her. It's a horrible feeling when you feel like you aren't a good enough mom to keep your LO happy. It's not teeth as far as I can tell, she already has most of her teeth already and sleeps 12 straight hours all night without waking once or appearing uncomfortable. She never appears in pain. Please for the love of GOD someone tell me their LO is like this too or else I think I'll lose my mind. 

Re: Whiny/Clingy/unhappy LO

• Have you had her ears checked. Last time my LO was acting like this he had a raging double ear infection...no fever no acting in pain still sleeping through the night just whiny fussy and miserable. We finally went to the pediatrician for something completely unrelated to his ears after a month and a half of this attitude and BAM double ear infection and antibiotics. After the antibiotics he was a brand new baby. 
  • I second the ears. We just got tubes due to ear infections and the little dude would barely have any symptoms towards the end. He would just be a grumpy a-hole, and we would take him in and boom, double ear infection. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no idea ear infections could happen with hardly any symptoms. I'm slightly gun shy bc we took her in now five times since birth bc I thought she had ear infections - turns out only once out of those five times did she have one. The rest were just teething and regular baby behavior. Each visit is a $30 copay plus hour round trip (we live out in the country) not to mention the wait at the urgent care each time. But now I'm second guessing myself - perhaps I should run her in? It's so odd bc each day is up and down, each hour is up and down sometimes! Several days this week she was so miserable, then today, BAM, great mood, isn't clingy at all, playing great by herself for several minutes at a time, seems almost easy going - but then tomorrow she will flip flop into her monster mode again, guaranteed. If it were an ear infection wouldn't she be more consistently miserable? I swear it's almost like she has split personalities. I think just to be on the safe side I'll run her into the urgent care early this week, just to rule out an ear infection. I will say this too: motrin doesn't help in the slightest whereas before when she actually for sure had an ear infection the Motrin would help her significantly; so that's another reason I was thinking it's likely not an ear infection. But then again you never know!
  • My #4 kiddo was that way with others. He has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and has a huge dairy allergy. Once we figured those out, he's been a lot happier. He has moments when he's on sensory overload, but we know how to get him down from it, most of the time.

My #2 kiddo was my ear baby and he had no symptoms, but failed his hearing tests after numerous ear infections. He got tubes and was a new kiddo. 

Have you tried the chiropractor by chance? Maybe something to look into. I understand the driving. We drive 90 miles one way to our pediatrician. We live in a small town too. It's tough.
  • My son goes through those phases where he only wants me and the only thing that makes him happy is breastfeeding. But he's been having trouble with his teeth lately. I would definitely make an appointment and tell your pediatrician what's going on. I would think it could be ears. I'd also recommend making a loose schedule for your day so she knows what to expect when, that helps my LO. We do different things everyday but meals and nap or quiet time are around the same time.
    I'd also suggest osteopathic manipulation, which is similar to a chiropractor but more gentle. 
    Things will get better. Toddlers are so much different sometimes I wonder where my sweet baby went but they love you, just adjusting to a new world is a big change. Maybe she's close to a developmental leap. Baby wearing also helps when my LO is fussy, I love my ergo.
    Best of luck!
  • Wow wow wow - you wonderful ladies were right! One ear is infected! Went to urgent care today and now we have antibiotic ear drops that we started earlier. Hoping to see improvement within a few days!! Thank you all for suggesting it might be an ear infection - the true telltale signs were not there this time so I was shocked! 
  • Wow wow wow - you wonderful ladies were right! One ear is infected! Went to urgent care today and now we have antibiotic ear drops that we started earlier. Hoping to see improvement within a few days!! Thank you all for suggesting it might be an ear infection - the true telltale signs were not there this time so I was shocked! 
    Hope your sweet baby gets to feeling better!