January 2017 Moms

Team Green check-in

I know there are a few of us left hanging on to being Team Green. I figured it'd be fun to check in and see how it's going. Not much time left before the big reveals!

Is this your first time being team green? Would you do it again?

Do you feel like you are/were able to prepare while not knowing?

Any rants/raves/comments? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Team Green check-in

• Loading the player...
  • YAY for the check in! Thank you @LastMango!

FTM, so first time being team green. I've always wanted to be team green. The anticipation is so much fun! I would do it again. I can see finding out the second time around as well, but it just doesn't seem as much fun.

Preparing hasn't been hard at all. I find that soooooo many things are easily neutral that it really doesn't make a difference. Besides, I would hate to have everything in pinks and purples or blues and sports themed. I never was a girly girl myself and neither DH nor I are sporty. The only draw back is seeing everyone with their cute take home outfits. I'd love to have something fun and frilly, but that can wait for baby dedication time.

I'm with everyone on the "how can you prepare?" comments. I'm all like, you go to the store, pick out a neutral colored item needed, and voila! You're prepared! My spare room was painted a pale green 3 years ago and I wanted to have brown accents, so it translated easily into gender neutral nursery. And I'd rather have animal themes than girly/boyish themes any day! The thing that absolutely drives me crazy are the people who just know the sex. My midwife doesn't even know the sex, how do you?? And then there's the, "which do you want," questions and before I can answer, they say, "and don't say a healthy baby!" Um, well, yes, actually I do want a healthy baby, and I want to have at least one of each, so it doesn't really matter. I would prefer a girl first, but I'm not hell bent on it.

No close calls with the US techs, thankfully! We did do a 3D/4D/HD ultrasound at 28 weeks and the tech told us when to look away; however, my MIL didn't look away until my mom mentioned it and my FIL was recording it with his phone the whole time just saying, "Hello Baby! Hurry up so we can meet you!" He had no idea he was supposed to look away, he was so caught up in the moment. It was more sweet and funny than annoying. The tech said he didn't even see what the sex was since we were very adamant about not knowing, so I doubt the ILs were able to see either.  I was very impressed with the tech.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• I've had two ultrasounds since my anatomy scan and each time I've been super adamant about it (like all of you) and scared there would be a slip. I do get the same line though, "don't worry if I say he or she. It doesn't mean anything." But it does make you wonder! At first I really thought this was a boy, but now I'm really unsure. And my husband is leaning slightly toward girl. I guess I won't be shocked either way given that we're kind of divided.
  • Have any of you been doing the old wives' tales? So far, it seems most of them are leaning boy. My MW is the only person who thinks we're having a girl, which makes me smile that she gave us her vote. I can't wait to do a pool at the baby shower to see what everyone else is thinking who I don't see daily.

• We haven't had any US slips yet but I'm also really adamant about saying something right away at all my appointments.  I'm pretty sure it's written on the top of all my files too since they always seem to already know.  I'm not taking any chances though!  According to the techs at the perinatologist, they haven't made a slip yet and really pride themselves on not accidentally revealing anything.

@PMForbie I've had people tell me I'm all belly and carrying straight out so they're boys.  Most of the old wives tales point to boys for me too but who really knows.  My gut says boys but I don't know.  I was convinced DS was a boy so maybe I'm just thinking these two are boys.  Also my dad "knows" they're boys, which I find amusing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Liking this thread!

FTM, so 1st time being team green. I was adamant even before getting pregnant that I didn't want to find out the sex until birth, but almost caved at the anatomy scan. I think we'd probably do it again but I'm not 100% set on it. 

I've had all ultrasounds done with MFM, and no one has come close to letting it slip there. And my MWs don't even know the sex, so unless they send me for a growth scan in the next few weeks, we really have no risk of the surprise being blown. 

I also don't get why people say they need to know so they can prepare. Especially with the first kid, I'd want to get most of the big items in neutral colors regardless. And the nursery will probably stay the nursery for baby #2 so it makes sense to keep the decor neutral there too. 

The only thing I'm struggling with at this point is the clothes. I'm surprised at how limited the unisex clothing options are now. I've been buying stuff here and there when I see something cute, but now I'm worried about having too much random "neutral" clothing, especially because I have a feeling we will get lots of clothes gifts once the baby is born. 
  • I've been feeling the same about the clothes too @krb22.  I don't have a ton, and a lot of people did not gift us clothes yet.  I think because they were similar discouraged by the lack of options lol  I'm ok with that because I didn't want a ton of gender specific stuff that would not be our style.  Right now I'm trying to determine how much of each size I should have to get us started, but not go overboard so I don't have everything in gray, white, yellow, and green.  Then I'll make some purchases after birth and see if anyone gifts us stuff once they know the sex.
  • *snip*

@PMForbie I've had people tell me I'm all belly and carrying straight out so they're boys.  Most of the old wives tales point to boys for me too but who really knows.  My gut says boys but I don't know.  I was convinced DS was a boy so maybe I'm just thinking these two are boys.  Also my dad "knows" they're boys, which I find amusing.
    LOL to the bolded! My dad " knows" this one is a girl. He was right with my first and so damn "sure" about it that I secretly want him to be wrong just so I can see the look of shock on his face. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Mylitta I've bought a bunch of blue things as well, and my mom is giving me a bit of a hard time about it, especially since she's convinced I'm having a girl. I don't really mind pink in general, but am also not into the overly girly stuff. 

@LoneStar21416 I agree about not wanting to have too much neutral stuff. Partially because I'm kind of over seeing babies in all gray - I find it a little drab TBH. I haven't seen a whole lot of green options either. I've bought 2 or 3 things in 3-6 months just because they were really cute, but I have mostly 0-3 mos and a few newborn pieces (expecting this baby to be at least 8 lbs). I have no idea what to expect as far as gifts!
  • I'm on the verge of breaking down and buying onesies with my alma mater on them. Some football onesies can be quite neutral. Throw on a matching bow if you have a girl and there you go! Thankful that I'm in Florida where we don't expect it to be terribly cold when Baby is born, so I don's have to worry too much about bottoms. Some gray, brown, navy bottoms will do just fine until we know what Baby is :smiley:

• On the clothes topic, we got a ton of clothes gifted after DS was born.  When friends and family came to visit after DS was born, a lot of them brought us a present in the form of clothes.  You may find that people are waiting to buy clothes until after baby is born.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ashanne88 that's kind of what I'm expecting. I personally tend to buy clothes as new baby gifts, especially when the sex was a surprise. But depending on how big the baby is or the time of year I might buy the gifts in a bigger size, etc. So basically I'm trying to find the right balance of having enough on hand for the first week or so vs going overboard ahead of time. 
  • I love this thread! I'm sorry that I'm a little late to the game.

It's so funny how some people just don't get how we could be team green. And then I always find myself over compensating on the response to them. But the truth is that I just want a happy healthy baby. 

Like who really cares about the sex you know? Just let them be happy, healthy, grateful and presently conscious. 

People always act like it takes SUCH willpower not to know.. but we don't want to know.. sOK there's no will power needed..
  • @lastmango @ashanne88 @lonestar21416 @KRB22 @knottie1443924966 @mylitta

How's team green doing? Most of us are in the last month! How are you holding out? I am so anxious to meet Baby and finally know who baby is! I think I'm the most anxious now than I've been the entire pregnancy! At this point, I'm debating if I'd do team green again lol!

• Still hanging in there! I'm with you on being anxious to know now. I'm so tired of hearing everyone's opinions on what baby is and just want to know for sure. 

Plus I'm ready to either wash and put up all of DD's clothes OR goooo shopping!!!!

Not gonna lie, if it's a boy, I'm gonna freak out a bit. I don't know the first thing about boys! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• To be honest, I feel more anxious/excited about when labor will start!  I'm still super curious about the sex, but right now I'm more wondering if/when spontaneous labor will happen.  

Almost everyone that sees me guesses that I'm having a boy, so we'll see if that's accurate.  My husband and I are slightly leaning toward girl though -- no reason why, in particular.
  • I personally am doing fine with green. Though I'm tired of people telling me what they think... at my shower I did a guess game thing. I hoped that way people could get it out and leave me alone - apparently it actually opened them up to continuously comment.

That and I think the Dr let something slip. I'm trying to convince myself she wasn't saying anything specific, but I can't quite get there. Sigh. It's a little ridiculous that you have to WORK to NOT know. It should be the other way around in my opinion.
  • I have a question what is a good response to people being team green?  I have been going with good for you. But have kinda wondered have any of you had good responses I could steal??
  • @MylittaThis is spot on and has been my experience for both pregnancies now. First time my doc slipped but tried to cover. Turns out what she slipped was what I was having. This time the ultrasound tech may or may not have used a pronoun. My husband caught it too but neither of us are convinced enough to be sure. 

Its seriously annoying. Can I I please just get my damn surprise?!

Pregnancy Ticker

• We're still going strong but getting more tempted. At the beginning we both thought it was a boy, then my husband swung headstrong to girl and he's set.
    most people are guessing boy (they've had dreams and visions) and my husband is SURE it's a girl.... with all these opinions I've lost all sense of direction. 
    Early on I was calling it him and the tech repeated him/he back to me a couple times (after she'd confirmed the gender)... I set her up a bit but still makes me thinks it's a he.

i like the colors and things we've chosen (tons of greys, some whites and tans, yellows, mints) and will be happy the aesthetic is something we like regardless of sex. I actually prefer having the nursery designed this way. If we'd known it would have been impossible to stay neutral, instead it's just things we like which is cool!

good luck not finding out in the coming weeks, hope your surprises are timed right!
  • Also people (in laws, parents) keep asking if we've found out based on items we show them - "oh so you know it's a boy then??" Lol NO- we just like these things and we're happy to have them be unisex.
  • mjschenk said:
    I have a question what is a good response to people being team green?  I have been going with good for you. But have kinda wondered have any of you had good responses I could steal??
    I've had people say good for you & how special it is. A lot of people are genuinely excited that we don't know and a lot of people from my mom's generation say how they never got to gind out & it's so much fun being surprised. As long as people have been positive & genuine in their response without turning it back to their pregnancies (I could never do that, we found out at x weeks, etc) or tell me what I'm having based off one look at my belly, I've been fine. Hope that helps.

• PMForbie said:
    mjschenk said:
    I have a question what is a good response to people being team green?  I have been going with good for you. But have kinda wondered have any of you had good responses I could steal??
    I've had people say good for you & how special it is. A lot of people are genuinely excited that we don't know and a lot of people from my mom's generation say how they never got to gind out & it's so much fun being surprised. As long as people have been positive & genuine in their response without turning it back to their pregnancies (I could never do that, we found out at x weeks, etc) or tell me what I'm having based off one look at my belly, I've been fine. Hope that helps.
    Ugh, the belly look and then they know what you're having!  I always roll my eyes on the inside.