January 2017 Moms

Natural Child Birth

Is anyone on here going to not get an epidural? I'm 37 weeks and just the last 2 weeks have felt like I would like to try for a natural birth this time. I'm not sure that I can do it especially since I haven't really done any classes or read up to much on it. 

Is it to late to really consider going natural? The idea of it kind of freaks me out but also makes me excited. I kind of want to prove that I can do it but everyone who I bring it up with thinks I'm weird. 

What can I do to better prepare to go natural? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Natural Child Birth

• canavaracanavara member
    edited December 2016
    It's never too late. A birth plan is just that--a plan. Some people will want an epidural or some other form of medicated pain management and won't be able to get it and they'll end up having a natural birth. If you want to go natural, the best thing you can do right now is to talk to your doctor and any support people (significant other, doula, family, friends) that will be attending the labor... because they'll be the people who will advocate for you, cheer you on, and remind you of your goals when you're in the heat of the moment second-guessing what you really want.

Breathing and coping techniques will be useful but committing yourself to it and walking into it with a strong mentality that you can handle it and that it's not something to fight is probably more useful than anything.

ETA: I'm a FTM so I know my advice might be taken with a grain of salt, but I intend to stay open-minded to going natural with my own labor, given that I don't have the experience of knowing just how I'll tolerate the pain. As part of my birth plan, I requested that nurses and hospital employees don't offer me the epidural and that I'll have to specifically request one... that way I feel like I'm owning the decision.
  • I'm going to try - but I'm a ftm too so we will see how things go. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Loading the player...
  • I say go for it, and agree with the PP of talking with your OB (or whoever) and the rest of your support team. 

I'm a STM and I had an epidural with my first and intend to with this one, but I know my own limits, not yours.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After going through the labor pains of a miscarriage, I was dead set on getting an epidural. But after watching a ton of birthing videos on YouTube and talking to my doctor, I'm going to try to go natural and play it by ear LOL but I did take baby classes and it was interesting to learn that most epidural patients are constrained to the bed because their legs are too numb to move and/or because they need to be hooked up to monitors. alsp, the epidural is no that close to your spinal cord so it's safer than I expected but of course there are always risks.
  • STM here and I 100% plan on getting my epidural. I got one last time and it worked for me. But I am the biggest wimp on the planet with zero pain tolerance. So that's just me and my experience.

If you want to, then by all means do it. You can definitely not get an epidural if you don't want one but you can't necessarily always get one if you plan to.

Just plan to follow your own body cues and have your support system be there to support you no matter what you choose to do when push comes to shove.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • My first labor the epidural failed, so I say from experience that *EVERYONE* should be prepared and knowledgeable about pain management, whether you want pain meds or not. It's never too late, I was figuring it out during contractions!

With that being said, things like hypnobabies and ___ method don't appeal to me, and I think the classes are a little much (some people love them) You have plenty of time to research massage techniques and positions. You don't have to be well educated in a specific method to be qualified. 

And if you're worried you will "cave," I wouldn't stress about it. Any natural progression of labor is good and can help things go faster. If you end up wanting the epidural, you still benefited from the time you did labor naturally. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first I just had pain meds in my iv, but it made me really tired. My second I had a c-section. This one I'm planning on going natural. 
    Like other people said, it depends on your pain tolerance and definitely talk to all your support team, you will need them!
  • With my first I tried but gave in and got an epidural.. then I had to have pitocin...and a c-section. My OB and midwife both highly suggested I go without an epidural this time if I want a good chance at a vaginal birth. So that's my plan. I'm terrified because I had the worst back pain with DS1. I hope this baby isn't Sunnyside up and I won't have that issue. Honestly contractions were nothing compared to the back pain. They even let the epidural wear off after 4 hours of pushing because DS1 still had not arrived...so I think I can manage with no meds if there's not a lot of back pain.
  • FTM, but I don't think it's too late to decide you want to try for a non-medicated birth. Like others have suggested, make sure your support people know your plans and are prepared to back you up during labor. I am going to attempt a med-free labor with the knowledge that my H and doula will be there to support me, but they also know I'm not opposed to an epidural if the time comes and I feel like I can't cope anymore.

I found "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" to be very useful and empowering for someone opting for a med-free labor. I learned a couple of coping techniques and positions that I will be trying out when the time comes. But take her sections on the use of medical interventions with a grain of salt- she is definitely biased. I would suggest reading the book with the intent of becoming more confident in your ability to power through a med-free birth (rather than being scared away from a birth with medical interventions).
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • The hospital birthing center where I plan to give birth has a very low rate of interventions, no episiotimies, and 10% C-section rate. So it has been encouraged from the beginning to try to go without the epidural. I'm really excited about going natural, but I have not shut myself off to the idea of asking for pain relief if I feel like I need it. 
  • Last time I didn't have the option of an epidural, and even though it was the most pain I've ever been through, I was thankful for the experience. I wouldn't go into it blindly, like it's not going to hurt (it will), but there really is something amazing about being able to listen to your body. No one had to tell me what was happening or when to push. 

With that being said, this time around I got the epidural. I already had the experience and this time I just wanted to be comfortable. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker