March 2017 Moms

Breech baby

I know she still has time to turn, but I'm 32 weeks and baby girl is frank breech. My OB and I discussed the next steps and an ECV is a possibility, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk. Have any of you experienced an ECV? If you were in my position, what would you do?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Breech baby

• I haven't had to go through an ECV so I'm no help there. I've read lots of tips though on how to give baby the best chance to go head down. Posture is a big point a lot of people talk about. Last pregnancy I sat on a yoga ball with frozen peas at the top of my belly to coax DS head down. Here are a couple of links you might find helpful! 

https://www.mamanatural.com/turn-breech-baby/

https://http//spinningbabies.com/learn-more/baby-positions/breech/flip-a-breech/

• Loading the player...
  • I know she still has time to turn, but I'm 32 weeks and baby girl is frank breech. My OB and I discussed the next steps and an ECV is a possibility, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk. Have any of you experienced an ECV? If you were in my position, what would you do?
    Ure 32 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥

SaveSave
  • DS was breech, but I elected not to attempt the ECV. He didn't turn and I ended up having a c/s. I was concerned about his size and the chances of complications (cord entaglement, placental abruption) and success of the procedure. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know she still has time to turn, but I'm 32 weeks and baby girl is frank breech. My OB and I discussed the next steps and an ECV is a possibility, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk. Have any of you experienced an ECV? If you were in my position, what would you do?
    Yes, I'm due on Valentine's Day, but I didn't like the atmosphere of that board. 

chrlyr said:
    DS was breech, but I elected not to attempt the ECV. He didn't turn and I ended up having a c/s. I was concerned about his size and the chances of complications (cord entaglement, placental abruption) and success of the procedure. 
    Those are my concerns as well. I'm going to try some home things, chiropractic, and acupuncture, but I think if they don't work, I'll opt for the c-section. It's just so hard because I have a 10 month old who is very needy and I won't be able to pick him up after the c-section.

• @DrillSergeantCat I hope baby girl turns for you! If she doesn't turn on her own, having to choose between an ECV and a c/s isn't a great situation. I tried the spinning babies stuff and it didn't work for me, but hopefully it will for you! FWIW, my c/s recovery was actually pretty easy, although it's different for everyone. 

DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
    Yes, I'm due on Valentine's Day, but I didn't like the atmosphere of that board. 

Same!! (Due 5days after you ;) ) just had to stick with the March ladies!!

Hope you can get her to turn!! But I've heard lots and lots of positive stories of babies turning on their own all the way up to in labor-so if you don't feel comfortable with an ECV then don't feel pressured! Doesn't mean you'll end up with a CS, but I totally understand the fear of it... I'm constantly worrying about bedrest or restrictions having my own needy 15mo old. 
  • When do I need to worry about position?
  • Baby was frank breech at the 26 week ultrasound we had. My doula (who's done the spinning babies certification) gave us different stretching positions plus an inversion to do on a regular basis, and seated posture advice for me as well. She also said if we get into the 30s and are still breech we should think about seeing a chiropractor, and learning more about our OB's ECV options. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @disneybaby84 i was told (with twins) that if they haven't turned by 32 weeks they're going to be out of room and it's not going to happen.   but that's twins, so i assume you can tack on a couple more weeks to that?  also, with a singleton it's easier to do things to get the baby to move.
  • No personal experience, but my nephew was breech a few weeks before delivery. My sister went to a chiropractor, and that worked for her. Good luck!
  • OctoberLove13OctoberLove13 member
    edited December 2016
    My aunt tagged me in this on Facebook and I figured you ladies could enjoy it too! Her problem wasn't the baby being breech, it was just that the baby wouldn't drop enough to deliver. She was down to doing this or having a c-section. 

ETA: Ahhh the video wouldn't copy. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/RyleeAliviasMommy/videos/10154816366188832/
    Me: 24 DH: 27
    High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
    Married: 10/13/13
    Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My babe is breech too-- has been pretty much the entire time. I'm just 30 weeks and trying not to be stressed about it. I have been seeing a Webster-certified chiro (highly recommend it!) and doing the spinning babies exercises occasionally. But recently it seems like everyone I talk to tells me one of their babies was breech and turned during the last few weeks. Some turned sporadically much later than the doctors say is likely to happen, and others had the ECV. 
    I can't say for sure, but I think if my baby is still breech and I'm running out of time, that I will try for the ECV. I've read that it's more likely to be successful if it's not your first pregnancy, and if your placenta is posterior. I've got both of those things going for me. 
    I also trust my doctor, so if he advises against it for some reason, I will probably listen to him. 
    What # baby is this for you? 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My son flipped head down at something like 35weeks. 

I'm assuming your doctor does not feel configurable delivering a baby that is frank breech?

The only suggestion I have is sitting down and writhing out in black and white your reservations about both the ECV and a section. Which risk is more acceptable to you? I don't think there is a righg decision here, it's something that different people would weigh differently. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Someone in my yoga class had her baby flip to breech 2 weeks ago, after several days of yoga, baby flipped back on its recheck.  She's at 38 weeks.  She may have also had chiro done, but, she seemed to think the yoga position really helped. 
  • Someone in my yoga class had her baby flip to breech 2 weeks ago, after several days of yoga, baby flipped back on its recheck.  She's at 38 weeks.  She may have also had chiro done, but, she seemed to think the yoga position really helped. 
    Which position?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That should have read positions.  Apologies.  We do lots of -
    Lunging (and also side lunges regularly & on a chair), cat/cow, childs pose (pictured), downward dog, squats in various ways, moving in & out of warrior 1 and 2, clamshells, forward folds.  Tend to use child's pose/downward dog/ and cat/cows as neutrals/transitions.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch here but class is 1.5hrs long.
  • When do I need to worry about position?
    My midwife told me they won't even begin to check until 35 weeks.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • My last baby was breech from 33 weeks on.  I wasn't a candidate for ECV because I had already started to dilate by 35 weeks (they usually wait until 37 or 38 weeks to do ECV).  It was really hard to hear anecdotal stories about other people's babies turning at the last minute when mine wouldn't budge.  It's so stressful, and I felt helpless.  If my OB offered to do an ECV, I would do it.  Second best situation would be to deliver Frank breech vaginally if that's an option for you.  C-section was my last choice, but that's what ended up happening - and we all came out OK in the end.  Thinking of you!  Keep us updated.
  • @MahiMama this is #3 and I have a posterior placenta. 

@longliveregina she will not do a vaginal delivery of a frank breech baby because if the head gets stuck it means cutting the cervix. 

Im going to start seeing my chiropractor soon.