December 2016 Moms
Options

Linziloo09's Chaotic Birth

So I covered a lot of this on the weekly appointments thread, but...39 weeks was yesterday, and we were scheduled to get my membranes stripped. While doing the sweep, the NP said I was 3cm dilated and 50% effaced. Then she said she was having a hard time finding the baby's head. So they sent me over to get an ultrasound to be safe. DD2 was apparently in a transverse position, which can lead to a prolapsed cord (and related complications if my water were to break prior to correcting the position). 

Since we already swept the membranes, we were working on a limited timer. We made a 4:30 appt for an external version. I was prepared for it to be rough, having heard stories about it and knowing that a 39 week fetus with limited fluid would be a challenge in any setting. I kept trying to explain ti DH my apprehensions about the procedure. I was going to do it just to ensure all stones were turned prior to a c-section, but I felt the need to mentally prepare myself to deal with the pain. I'm the sort of person who, if I let myself crack, I'll just fall all the way. So I knew I would need to meditate or grit my teeth and just let it happen. It was TERRIBLY uncomfortable and painful (one of my friends in NYC said her hospital mandates epidurals for all women getting the procedure...no suck luck for me). DH was shocked (and still keeps talking about his shock) at the violence of the procedure. My OB's muscles were shaking and he was sweating, he was pushing so hard. Somehow (and I really don't know how) I made it through with deep breathing  and focusing on one spot on the ceiling. I know a few tears slipped out, but I didn't make a sound. I'm afraid that if I had, I would have crumpled and started begging for mercy. Anyways, after three painful attempts, the OB still couldn't get DD2 to budge anywhere. So since I was having moderate contractions at 7 minutes apart, we scheduled an emergency c-section for last night.

I think our OB's practice did an amazing job with the c-section. Of course, there are the fun dehumanizing aspects, like me being splayed out naked in front of the whole team while they were prepping my anesthesia and getting things draped. But at this point, who HASN'T seen my cooch, right? So they pull up the curtain and DH comes in to sit next to my head. I was surprised I could feel the pressure of the procedure and kind of figure out what they were doing. Like I knew when they used spacers to keep my stomach open. And I could feel them rooting around - kind of like ferrets digging in my belly. Finally the OB gave us a 2 minute warning to pull out a camera if desired, and they dropped the drape. I got to see DD2 be pulled from my belly, which was incredible. With my first, I was so tired and pained that I was just out of it when DD1 came out and was put on my chest. This time, I got to see it up close and watch her slowly get worked out of my belly. She was so covered in vernix and blood, that she looked a little zombie-like. And when the provider's tool would touch the vernix, it would scrape it off - at first I thought it was her skin and got freaked out. It was really awesome to see her emerge like that (see photo), and they handed her over to me very quickly. The whole thing was just very patient-centered. Despite my frustrations with our birth plan being pushed off course, this was a very good compromise. 

And DH and I have repeatedly discussed how a series of misfortunes actually led to some very fortunate circumstances. Had I not had kidney stones and needed a surgery in a week and a half, we wouldn't have gotten the membrane sweep. Had we not decided to avoid seeing the new midwife (who has yet to get her sea legs) and request the awesome NP, we may never have learned that the baby wasn't head down (she may have turned recently but otherwise no one had noticed). Had we not learned about her position, when we did go into labor, we would have labored at home for as long as possible. We may have compromised the baby's and my health without even knowing there was a risk. As it stands, everything turned out really well. DD2 is beautiful, and I feel like I'm fairly functional today - healing pretty quickly. 

So not at all the birth I had hoped for, but a good birth all the same. A great example of why I'm opposed to birth plans (and prefer birth 'wishes'). Because birth, at least MY births, are ridiculously unpredictable. You've got to play it by uterus and do what you've got to do to get the bub out safely. For those still with inside babies, I wish you all the best as your littles prepare to emerge. For everyone with an outside baby, I'm so happy to have joined your ranks. Love you all!

December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave

Re: Linziloo09's Chaotic Birth

• Options
    I'm so glad it went ok! She is beautiful!
  • Options
    She is perfect❤️ I'm so glad you've been able to have a good perspective midst the hiccups and that, overall, everything went smoothly. Congrats!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, what an amazing photo and so glad that you have such a positive outlook on it all! What a strong mom and congratulations!!!!
  • Options
    Good for you seeing all the positive! That's super awesome you got to see her come out. congrats!
  • Options
    Congrats!! Glad everything went okay in the end and you LO is there for you to snuggle. Take it easy mama, you deserve it! 
  • Options
    I love your positive outlook on the whole thing. Congrats and she's beautiful! <3
  • Options
    Your story is amazing, thank you for sharing!  What a positive way to view how things went.  Enjoy your new little one, she's adorable!

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Whoa!!!! That's amazing!!! Go loo!!! Congrats on your beautiful girl ❤
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Bump wife fist bump! 

Congratulations, you awesome lady, you. <3
  • Options
    Wow! You should have seen my face right now! I was like - wait a second, wasn't it just yesterday that @LinziLoo09 had an inside baby and it was transverse??? Yes! Wow, so glad you got DD2 out safely  <3 it is strange that you can tell what they are doing during a c-section, so glad I'm not the only one. I have a hard time not focusing on it! 
    You done good, and what an adorable little lady! I hope you have a quick and uneventful recovery :smile:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Congrats!  She is beautiful!  I'm glad that you had a good experience even though things didn't go according to plan.
  • Options
    Congratulations Linz! I'm so happy for your beautiful family!

Me:27   H:30
    Till death do us part: 7.2.2011
    Trying to conceive since 01.2014
    Low AFC and azoospermia
    IVF #1 03.2016 - BFP 03.28.2016
    Due: 12.05.2016

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations! So glad everything went well even if it wasn't what you originally thought it would be. She's adorable :)
  • Options
    Whoot!!! Congrats and Way to go!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! I'm sorry the version was so painful and failed. Your positive attitude about fate etc. helped me as someone with a similar experience. The most important thing is that we have healthy and happy outside babies. Best of luck with your recovery ❤️
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    Congratulations and hope you have a smooth recocery! If I ever find myself knocked up again, my mantra is going to be "play it by uterus" :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Congrats she is beautiful! What a story! Hope you have a quick and healing recovery!
  • Options
    Congrats! I admire your positivity. Enjoy your outside baby  :)
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • Options
    Congrats!

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    So glad things worked out in the end! Hope you have a smooth recovery!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    She is so beautiful! Congratulations! So glad things with the C section went well, too.
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

• Options
    Wow! You rock!!! That is hard stuff. What an amazing birth and story to share with her. So good!  <3

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    What an amazing story! I'm glad you all caught things appropriately to make the c-section not too chaotic. I hope you have a safe recovery and enjoy the squishy cuddles!
    EQD born 12/15!

• Options
    You have a great outlook and your daughter is so gorgeous!! Congratulations :)
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker