June 2016 Moms
Options

What foods/fun/traditions are you excited for this weekend?

I know this has come up a little bit here and there in other threads, but what fun things do you have planned for the holiday weekend? What are you excited for?

Bonus: Has anyone made any crafts to commemorate LO's first holiday season?

Re: What foods/fun/traditions are you excited for this weekend?

• Options
    We'll be vacationing with my family for 5 days, and I bought a 1000-piece puzzle to put together. My in-laws are the ones who got me hooked on puzzles. It's kind of a holiday tradition with them to have one out and put it together over a few days. My guess is that my siblings will laugh when I get the puzzle out, but by the end everyone will be invested in it. 

I I also finally got a copy of the book, "the girl on the train," and I'm hoping to make some time to read it!
  • Options
    For food we always do blabkbean soup and sourdough bread on Christmas eave. We will do crepes with berries Christmas for breakfast, and crab legs, shrimp, scallops, lemon pepper pasta, and zucchini for dinner.  Yum! 

Im just excited to spend the evening together tomorrow and see the kids excitement. 2 and 5 are fun ages for holidays! I'll just plan to take lots of pictures of Nadia since it's her first Christmas 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    My husband and I always bake and decorate ninjabread men so those will be left out for Santa this year, along with an apple for Rudolph (husband did that as a kid). I was going to make a paper wreath with Damien's hand cutout but opted for a messy green and red fingerpainting activity. It doesn't look like anything but he had fun! I did do handprints with ink so we can save them to mark his 6 month marker and Christmas tho.

My family always opens crackers at Christmas Day dinner and wear the crowns during the meal, so we will do that too.

My husband grew up opening presents on Christmas Eve but I didn’t so the compromise is to do 1 present on Christmas Eve and the rest the next day. Oh and we will be opening presents to the Alvin and The Chipmunks Christmas album (I always did that growing up).

Otherwise that's it I think.

I forgot to add that we watch all the Harry Potter movies. My husband usually has turkey on Christmas Day because Canadian Thanksgiving is in October but since we did US Thanksgiving, it is too soon to have it again. We've done prime rib roast for Christmas Day before so I think that is going to continue to be our thing.
  • Options
    We make polish mushroom soup and latkes and open one present on Christmas Eve. Then we are making both a ham and a turkey for dinner because I love ham and DH hates it. So we'll have leftovers for awhile.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    annaf2011 said:
    We'll be vacationing with my family for 5 days, and I bought a 1000-piece puzzle to put together. My in-laws are the ones who got me hooked on puzzles. It's kind of a holiday tradition with them to have one out and put it together over a few days. My guess is that my siblings will laugh when I get the puzzle out, but by the end everyone will be invested in it. 

I I also finally got a copy of the book, "the girl on the train," and I'm hoping to make some time to read it!
    My family used to puzzle together. I want to make them bust one out this year! Also, girl on the train was really good.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    We make polish mushroom soup and latkes and open one present on Christmas Eve. Then we are making both a ham and a turkey for dinner because I love ham and DH hates it. So we'll have leftovers for awhile.
    Mushroom soup sounds amazing! I love mushrooms, unfortunately my husband is deathly allergic : (
  • Options

@amberliz99 that sounds like quite a spread! Do you make everything yourself?

@vintagevix2016 you will have to post a picture of your ninja cookies!
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:
    Mushroom soup sounds amazing! I love mushrooms, unfortunately my husband is deathly allergic : (
    Have you seen the logs you can buy that mushroom spores in them and just add water and mushrooms sprout?
  • Options
    We have Christmas Eve at my inlaws and they always do sub sandwiches. I only have to bring pico and I'll bring cookies and crafts for the kids. My kids are big fans of decorating cookies and doing crafts. Then on Christmas my family will come over, almost everyone flew out here, my mom lives here and my dad got a hotel so I have one brother staying at my house, my dad and another brother at a hotel and my sister is at my moms. We'll have lox, bagels, bacon, eggs, fruit, and lots of mimosas. Then do a big dinner. I'm part Dutch and we always had a chocolate letter, the first letter of your name, and a speculaus doll cookie in/near our stockings. The dolls are kind of like gingerbread but better and crispy they go really well in tea. My boys love them and the giant ones are about a foot tall. And tonight we are decorating gingerbread houses, it's probably the 3rd one they are doing but my sister loves doing with them every year. I hope everyone has a wonderful week!
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:
    Have you seen the logs you can buy that mushroom spores in them and just add water and mushrooms sprout?
    I have, but I'm to chicken to grow my own for some reason. Getting funky ones from the farmers market is about as far as I'll go.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Our house is sadly not very Christmasy because we're still in the process of unpacking. I just figured LO has no idea and for our sanity the other house stuff is more important. Fortunately we're celebrating Christmas day at my parents nearby and their house will be festive. We do have a real fireplace now though, and DH was excited to hang 3 stockings : ) I did participate in a cookie swap in my new neighborhood, so I got to meet neighbors and DH is psyched to have Christmas cookies (they are dangerous for me though!)

I'm bummed that I won't get to hear DH sing at church this year, he's a pro and has to sing back to back at 10 pm and midnight mass on Christmas Eve (2 different churches). I usually go with him but I just feel like that's too late for LO. If we're lucky we may get to the 8 am mass on Christmas day that he's cantoring, but if LO sleeps in then we'll just go together later to a mass that he's not singing for.

So, this will be a simple Christmas, a few gifts and time with family. I really hope that next year our house is in better shape so we can host!

• Options
    @Lizbeth86 we, meaning my husband, decorated outside but I didn't do any of my decorations inside, we got a tree and hung stockings but I over extended myself with the baking and having a new baby. I hate that my schedule is dictated by naps and school. I would rather spend my time doing activities with my older two then decorating the house. 
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:
    No I haven't. That sounds so cool!!!
  • Options
    annaf2011 said:

@amberliz99 that sounds like quite a spread! Do you make everything yourself?

@vintagevix2016 you will have to post a picture of your ninja cookies!
    I don't make the sourdough bread because I don't have a starter, but everything else we make ourselves. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker