July 2017 Moms
Options

High Risk HPV

I was informed by my Doctor today that I have high risk HPV. I have to go in next week for a colposcopy to rule out cancer. Has anyone else experienced this while being pregnant? I'm 28 years old and have never had an abnormal pap plus I got the gardasil vaccine when I was 17 so I was very shocked by this. Thanks in advance!

Re: High Risk HPV

• Options
    I had hpv with my first but I wasn't high risk. 8 weeks PP I had a cervical freezing that basically burned the virus off (it was extremely mild) and I've been clear since. I hope it's not cancer and they can help find a cure.
  • Options
    I had abnormal pap while pregnant. Then they did a colposcopy to see how serious it was. It turned out to be a big deal. It was an aggressive strain of precancerous cells. I had never experienced anything like this! I was 6 months pregnant and they wanted to do surgery to remove a portion of my cervix but I said hell no it can wait until post PP. Only because it had a risk factor of sending me into preterm labor. I had surgery at 5 weeks PP. They ended up being glad with my decision to wait because they had to take more of my cervix than they expected! They said it could make me  have an incompetent cervix. Scary shit. BUT I'm here now at almost 12 weeks and they are just going to keep a close eye on me. I was actually going to wait until after I had another baby(just in case I did have an  incompetent cervix afterword), but my doctor said I might not be around for my sons 2nd birthday if I waited! I didn't realize how serious it was until that point! 

Okay, by no means so I want this to scare you!!! I'm fine and worst case I might end up in bed rest toward the end. The colposcopy was uncomfortable but over quickly. They knew I was pregnant and very anxious. I credit this doctor with saving my life! My DS is now 15 months old, and I'm healthy and here for him! I'm hoping you have a positive result!!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    ***lurking***

@kmelton811 I'm sorry you recieved such a scary diagnosis.  Even the vaccine only claims to protect against certain strains, and there are SO MANY STRAINS that really, if anything. I think the vaccine can give women a false sense of security, unfortunately.  :/  EVERYONE should be getting paps ANNUALLY regardless of what the new (insurance company) guidelines say.  It could fully save your /your friend's /your sister's /your aunt's life, so <b>pass it on</b>!

[Edited for privacy.]

Hang in there, and best of luck with whatever the doctor recommends.  Just remember, if their recommendation doesn't sit right with you, you have a right to refuse treatment and/or get a second opinion.  They may want to wait until after delivery and just watch it, or they may want to insist that it be done immediately.  Either way, my suggestion would be not to ignore it, to go with your gut, and do what feels best for you. (((Hugs)))
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 I appreciate you telling me your story! I'd rather know the scary details then be blinded later. I'll handle whatever happens!

@BusinessWife I couldn't agree more. I'm glad everything worked out for you too!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @kmelton811. Thanks!  I hope you don't mind since you read my *response already, I removed some more personal details from my post. Internet *posterity and all. ;) GL!
  • Options
    I had an abnormal pap with my second when I was about 2 months pregnant. From what the doctor said they can't tell until the colposcopy of it is cancer or what, the pap let's you know if there have been changes to the cervix and depending on when you last had a pap whether the changes are mild to severe. 

FWIW - after my colposcopy they found the changes to be mild and benign so they scheduled a follow-up pap at my 6 week PP appointment. The changes had completely resolved themselves by then and there was no follow up (other than the recommendation of getting a pap every year). My doctor did say pregnancy can sometimes aggravate certain conditions and giving birth can make things go back to normal. I am not a doctor but that is what she told me. 

FX for everything going well and resolving on its own. And I was freaking out too - how did I get an HPV infection? Was it cancer? How would it effect the baby?