February 2017 Moms

If you got low iron results from your glucose test

What kind of supplement are you taking?

Iron always makes me really nauseous and I'm still taking diclegis so I'm hoping for something gentle. My midwife suggested going to a natural foods store and getting a liqiud form. Any suggestions for a good choice?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: If you got low iron results from your glucose test

• I am taking FeraMax, Its expensive but ive been told its pretty gentle on your body. 

• I bought just regular iron supplements but my Dr suggested to just eat more iron rich foods like spinach. She said I was just barely low, so I only take the supplement a couple times a week, but have been trying to eat spinach salads for lunches.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • They gave me just a normal ferrous sulfate prescription at first. And although I had that with the other two and was fine it made me feel really sick this time. So the midwive gave me some different samples to try to see if that changed anything. I've tried two so far integra plus and integra f and both were way better than the ferrous sulfate. So I'm going to ask to take those now instead. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I took liquid Floradix because most Fe supps tore up my stomach, even Flinstones + Iron made me toss my cookies. I also way amped up my leafy greens and oatmeal intake. Its been a really rough road, but I've slowly made it to "mildly anemic" and am just under the cutoff now. 

That being said, they tested my B12 levels and those were tanked so now we're working on that too. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• Mine was just barely low so my midwife just asked me to up my intake of leafy green vegetables and meat consumption. If it's still low when they do my 36 week check on Jan. 4th, then they'll have me switch to an actual supplement. 
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • In the past, I've had the best results with liquid Floradix (I always got mine from Amazon). Basically no iron supplements agree with me, but Floradix was as good as I could get.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • I have had low iron pretty much my entire life. I had weekly blood draws in high school to monitor my iron level because it was so low for so long. With this pregnancy they increased my iron dosage to 2 supplements daily. I take 1 in the am right after breakfast and 1 after dinner before bed. I just take a drug store brand but find that I have to have a full stomach or I get super nauseous. 
  • You can also start cooking with a cast iron skillet to help get iron into your foods.  They also have this iron fish thing that you can add to soups and other foods while they are cooking.  Those would likely be in addition to your suggested oral meds, but if. It tolerating those can be a different source of iron.  And just to clarify-  normal 3rd trimester lab work is screening for anemia, it wasn't your glucose tolerance test that showed that you were anemic.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • GAWD put this in the symptoms thread!!!! 
     :p 
     :D 
  • You can also start cooking with a cast iron skillet to help get iron into your foods.  They also have this iron fish thing that you can add to soups and other foods while they are cooking.  Those would likely be in addition to your suggested oral meds, but if. It tolerating those can be a different source of iron.  And just to clarify-  normal 3rd trimester lab work is screening for anemia, it wasn't your glucose tolerance test that showed that you were anemic.  
    Oh well it was that blood work that came back with the low iron. That's the only blood they've taken recently and she called with both results together. 

• GAWD put this in the symptoms thread!!!! 
     :p 
     :D 
    I know I know FLAME MEEEEEEEE!!!
  • I don't know if I should add another reply to this or not but... I am currently taking PalaFer, over the counter drug store iron supplement.
  • Otc slow release pill only 2 times a week.
    BabyFruit Ticker