December 2016 Moms

PP Healing & Wellness 12/19

How many weeks PP are you? How are you doing this week?

What supplements or vitamins are you currently taking to help you heal and rebuild?

What are you intentionally eating and nourishing yourself with these days in order to help your body and mind?

Share a recipe if you’d like…

As always, feel free to ask questions or talk about what is immediate to you and your postpartum healing… nursing, stitches, postpartum emotions, sleep… 

Due December 27th with baby #7

Re: PP Healing & Wellness 12/19

• Not there yet... but I plan on staying on all my supplements (due to my anemia and my propensity to be vit d deficient... and that effecting me emotionally/mentally). 

I also find PP that eating a BIG and nutritious breakfast is really helpful... helps me feel better throughout the day. 

• Loading the player...
  • How many weeks PP are you? How are you doing this week?

One month&1day. I figured out I pinched a nerve in my neck sometime 6-8 days ago, and that's why I have the headache from hell.

What supplements or vitamins are you currently taking to help you heal and rebuild?

iron. Pretty much healed up.

What are you intentionally eating and nourishing yourself with these days in order to help your body and mind?

Lots of red meat. Beef or pork 5 nights a week, and salad 3-4 days.

Question: those who have or have had stitches do they feel like a hard ball? I have something that feels almost like a hard bouncy ball under the skin, and wondering if its scar from tearing or if its really infected.

Recipe: my homemade chicken noodle. 1-3 chicken breasts side into small pieces. Put in boiling water with 2 TBsps poultry seasoning. When close to cooked, put everything into large crockpot.

Mix 2 can evap. Milk with 2 cans cream of chicken. Pour into chicken&heater.

Dice 5-6 carrots and 1 celery heart. Add to crockpot. Leave on low for 5-7 hrs. Add in 1 bag frozen peas and 1 lb egg noodles. Stir in. Let cook 1 hr. Serve warm. Makes 8-10 servings depending on size.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

2wks,5days. I'm doing alright. C-section pain has passed, mastitis has passed. Staples that popped through my incision site are dissolving so I guess I'll say, this too has passed

I'm not, and I should be. I ran out of prenatals and haven't gotten any more yet

Not doing so hot here, other than I'm doing pretty well with my water intake....need to work on this area

BabyFruit Ticker

1 month today! 

Prenatals, when I remember to take them... just like during pregnancy. I am also taking 4 Mother's Milk pills each day to help my milk supply. Like others pretty much healed up from delivery.

Eating mindfully, especially since I am not very active sitting at home with DS. I sometimes don't have time for breakfast, and DH comes home for lunch so I at least get that... and maybe an afternoon snack before DH gets home for supper. I am trying to up my water in take every day.

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cjt121413cjt121413 member
    edited December 2016

How many weeks PP are you? How are you doing this week?

1 week today. I'm doing okay. My pain from the CS is worse than I remembered from DS. I'm hoping that subsides. :( On the positive side if things, BFing is going well.

I'm taking PNVS still and will continue those...maybe Fenugreek if supply becomes an issue. 

What are you intentionally eating and on nourishing yourself with these days in order to help your body and mind?

I need to work on this...I've been in survival mode so my diet has consisted of crap (plus we couple delicious meals thanks to my mom).

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

2 weeks, 1 day. I'm doing pretty good, but tired. LO refuses to go down before midnight or 1:00 AM and then we're usually up at 3:00 and 5:00 for feedings, which last at least 30-45 minutes. I need to force myself to sleep when he naps during the day, but it's hard - I always find something that needs to get done. Today he's barely napped for more than 30 minutes at a time and has been really fussy. I think he might be getting a cold - he sounds a little stuffy and one of his poops had a bunch of mucus in it so I think he might be swallowing nasal drainage. It's been a tiring day - I really hope he sleeps okay tonight. 

Other than being tired, I've had some bleeding the last couple days after not really having any for the last week. We walked up to our town's Christmas festival yesterday. It's an easy walk, but I wore LO and I think it maybe was just a little too much. My back also hurts - I need to be better about supporting myself while nursing. That and I think my arthritis is coming back after having been so much better while I was pregnant.

Same as what I was taking during pregnancy - prenatal, DHA, and vitamin D. I also drink mother's milk tea most days to help with breastmilk supply.

I'm trying to be more balanced than I was during my third trimester (hello sweet tooth). Luckily DH is a good cook and one of our friends stocked our freezer with healthy-ish stuff from Trader Joe's that we can easily heat up when DH doesn't have time to cook. Other than that I'm not doing anything in particular. I do need to focus on sleep more, that will go a long way to making sure I'm in a good mental space as we have fussy days.

• @allicat89 I am also EBF, and while it seems like it all falls to you, it also makes going anywhere with baby much easier. A lot less to pack and plan for, other than poopsplosions. One of the best ways to continue to be outdoorsy is to baby wear, or go to places that you can use the stroller. There are a few parks I plan on going to once I heal a bit more and can drive again (c-section). But if you wear baby, you can go anywhere really. I guess if it's super cold where you live that isn't really an option. You might have to settle for indoor places. Although, truthfully, going anywhere with baby takes more planning regardless of season. It just takes time to adjust. Try to make sure the diaper bag is always ready. Also, our diaper bag is a backpack so that's it's less cumbersome. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @allicat89 Baby wearing is the way to go. Bundle LO up in a nice snow suit or bunting then put the pack/sling whatever on. Then zip your jacket over you and babe. Worked for me with my DS during a Vermont winter two years ago. Obviously I couldn't stay out for hours but it did let me get outside in the woods with the dogs.

• @yellingbanana and @acreight13 - Great advice! I am so used to being able to drop everything and head out, so I am still adjusting to having to plan for my demanding yet adorable little companion  ;) But I think we will try a bundled up walk this afternoon! Thanks!

I'll be 2 weeks pp tomorrow (Wednesday). This week is much better than last week. My incision is no longer infected, the opening on my incision has gone from 5in wide & 1 in deep to 2in wide and 1cm deep. My mastitis doesn't hurt as much, though I am still getting random feverish symptoms. Unfortunately, DH is out of town for work this week, I miss him and his help. 

Prenatals, emergen-C packets.

Nuts, veggie/fruit/chia seed smoothie. Tomatoes, coconut water, and trying my best to drink enough water. I'm eating sugar cookies to help my mind ;) We also loaded up on Costco ready to cook meals: salmon, stuffed peppers, ribs, ravioli. They are all really delicious. 

I would like to, but I can't think of anything that is super easy that I've made. I really haven't cooked much since giving birth. But if my brain starts working again, I'll update with a recipe! 

• How many weeks PP are you? How are you doing this week? 2 weeks Thursday. Doing a bit better. Bf still awful. 

What supplements or vitamins are you currently taking to help you heal and rebuild? Ibuprofen and Percocet although I hope I took my last Percocet today. 

What are you intentionally eating and nourishing yourself with these days in order to help your body and mind? Uh...I did make some smoothies. I'm taking whatever DH gets me at this point!

DH going back to work tomorrow...scared. Met some really nice women today at bf support group who invited me to join their FB group and a Christmas ornament party tomorrow. Baby is a little congested and feeds a lot. Tried nipple shields but they still hurt and baby wasn't getting her milk! Trying to find a new LC basically mine sucks. 

Positive we went out for our first family lunch today and it went well!

Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I promise to answer the questions at some point. 

Tonight may have been my breaking point. DS2 is 2w1d and screamed nonstop tonight if he wasn't held or nursing. I planned a Christmas cooking/present wrapping with SD tonight and could do anything basically because of him. I am not sure if it's just a thought night or PPA/PPD but I am filled with dread. All I can think about as I lay here is "when is he going to scream again" and I'm simply exhausted. I've taken him to a LC for help and her suggestions aren't helping. I feel at a lost at how to be happy with him when he's so inconsolable and making me "'miss out" on so much time with the other kids. I'm a horrible Mama. 

And on a separate note, DH keeps talking about "the next baby"..... I could cry. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • yellingbananayellingbanana member
    edited December 2016
    @Gizmo1231 I'm sorry :neutral: our DD2 was similar, I ended up cosleeping out of pure desperation for some sleep and less screams. Babies are always changing and  growing, some periods are harder than others. Maybe talk to DH about scheduling in a daily break for you? Even just an hour a day can make a big difference. Also, remember it's ok to place baby somewhere safe (crib, r&p, p&p, etc.) and just walk away for a breather. I had to do that often with DD2. 
    Have you tried a baby wearing wrap? That might help. Just a few thoughts, trying to help. But we are here to hear you out also, so feel free to let it out. 
    Hugs**

• @Gizmo1231 Have you considered reflux? From what I have gathered being upright and/or eating stops the acid from coming up and causing pain. It might help to ask your pedi even if you have to make an extra app. Anything you need to do to keep your sanity needs to be done.

• @yellingbanana I did babywear tonight and he enjoyed that so I will definitely be doing it again. 
    @Kate08Young I never thought about that. DS1 is on Nexium for reflux so it's definitely a possibility. I'm going to call my pediatrician today and schedule 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I too promise to answer the questions & post a labor story eventually. Need some sleep help though. How do I get LO to sleep on her pack and play mattress? She is 8 days old. She will sleep in the rock n play during the day but at night one of us had to hold her in order for her to sleep and we're too scared of SIDS to put her in the RNP unsupervised. I have a cosleeper coming in the mail tomorrow and I'm desperate for some nighttime sleep. I am also ebf and can't get enough naps in the day. 
  • How many weeks PP are you? How are you doing this week? I am 2 weeks & 1 day PP. Feeling decent this week--just tired (goes without saying, probably). :P

What supplements or vitamins are you currently taking to help you heal and rebuild? I stopped taking my prenatal vitamins but was told to continue them! I really loathe taking those stupid things. They taste effing terrible.

What are you intentionally eating and nourishing yourself with these days in order to help your body and mind? I've been drinking tons of milk and trying to keep my protein intake up (lots of peanut butter).

Of course, about 1.5 weeks PP, a yeast infection had to come about. Sigh. Soreness/pain in my lady bits gradually declined PP then it gradually started coming back, to the point where I had to ice my crotch again. Yeah, definitely a yeast infection. Hey body, I am trying to heal up here! Feeling better after home treatment, however, so that's a relief! Boobs are definitely sore from LO eating pretty ravenously, too, of course.

Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

• I had my two-week PP check up on Tuesday, just got the call that I do have an infection from my catheter. Heading to pick up antibiotics now. Also, my parents and brother are in town. My brother came down with a cold the day after he got here so he's staying in their AirBnB instead of hanging out (which I appreciate, but it sucks that he can't spend time with his nephew). My parents aren't happy with the place where they're staying, and there aren't any good other options that won't cost an arm and a leg given the holiday, so they just decided to leave on Christmas day instead of staying until the 28th. Plus, my stepson has the flu. He's with his mother this week but was supposed to come back to our place on Christmas and for the two weeks after that (our regular schedule). I'm so afraid of LO being around him, and pissed at DH that he didn't get him his flu shot like I asked him to. 

Not having a great lead up to Christmas, which sucks since it's LO's first.
  • Anyone who had carpel tunnel still having problems? It's not as bad as it was during pregnancy but I have no feeling in my 3 middle finger tips on that hand. Getting quite annoying.... 

@yellingbanana I think you had it? How u doin?
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Holy crap @gowenc that is a lot of illnesses around you! Hopefully the new baby/mom immunity thing will keep you two protected. Both my DDs have been going through a cold and I've been going "DON'T touch the baby!!!!!" So far so good, but I think I actually had the cold about 2 weeks before RCS. 

@silverfrost sorry about that yeast infection, I had like 3 or 4 while pregnant. I'm hoping that I can be done with them for a little while. Normally I only get one like every other year. Dang hormones! (Shakes fist angrily at hormone gods)

@sourlemon YES! I STILL have carpel tunnel. Sigh. It's not as bad as it was when pregnant, but still significantly annoying. It's at it's worst at night and in the morning, 2 of my fingers lock up and pop out of place still.
    When pregnant with DD2 it was much worse, but I feel like it went away faster pp. But you know, it's hard to remember anything correctly pp, especially 5 years ago. 
    It should get better, if it's still around 2 months pp, then I will start worrying. Then it's time for an appointment. 

• @sourlemon I've got residual carpal and tarsal tunnel too. It sucks. My midwife said if it hadn't resolved by 2-3 months post partum then it's time to get it checked out. I've got feeling back in my left heel but the right is still painful/numb, and both hands are still having issues, though I think they're a little better than they were. 
  • Carpel tunnel is also aggravated by nursing (and just holding baby so much) potentially bottle feeding(?). With my last I chose not to carry her in her bucket car seat to see if that would help at all ... and to instead take her out and put her in a sling... it helped a lot! It's that residual swelling and relaxin in our systems... and the new things like nursing that aggravate it so much! 

• It sounds like I need to get my baby wrap out... and learn how to use it! I still have bjorn from DD1, but it's my arch enemy. I feel like the wraps will be friendlier to my back. 

• Yes... had a bjorn and thought the devil made it! Not a fan. I love Slings for tiny ones and once they have neck control I move to my beco or ergo... I also made my dh carry the car seat most of the time due to my wrist but also I realized when I carry it I tend to pooch out my abs (or really excert pressure on my diastasis) which isn't ideal the 1st few months... when I did carried it I tried to hold it with both hands and the seat pressed on my middle (which isn't ideal, but I do think it saved my wrists and floppy middle some stress or damage). 

• Ok good to know it's still normal. With my first I never had this all the time numbness, just when I woke up. 

I actually like my bjorn for short things. I have an ergo with the insert but my kid hates it right now. And it's so hard for me to buckle the strap on the back. I'm probably doing it wrong or something. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I have a Moby and adore it. Up until crawling I use it about every day. Once they crawl I'm done with baby wearing as L was more interested in being on the floor.

• @yellingbanana Yes! They are SUCH a nuisance. Goodness.
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

4 days PP. I'm doing pretty decent, but struggling with taking it easy and recovering. It's not easy for me to rest when things need to be done, or to let myself be taken care of. 

Prenatals and iron supplements

Trying to eat enough iron, DH is helping by making very meaty dinners. I'm definitely feeling droopy from mild anemia.

Overall, this is hard but I'm learning how to take care of the baby and myself, and DH is such a strong partner and is doing so much for our little family. 

• Hugs @mysteryship
    Its a gift to have a husband who supports and cooks. Mine just made our sons birthday cake and kept me off my feet! Thankful. 
     Floradix is a wonderful iron boost for anemia and it doesn't cause constipation... its liquid and tastes kind of like pineapple. 

3 weeks 4 days. I'm doing okay. I just love being a mom and I don't mind the lack of sleep. Having a baby just makes me want more babies. I've been staying up with him until 4 am until DH gets up and spends time with him while getting ready for work, and then I just sleep until baby wakes me again which ranges from 8-10am. Not too shabby. I've always been a night owl and right now at least I'm not having to repress the inclination to be up all night. :) 

Still taking my prenatals and fenugreek to try to encourage what little milk I can to come out for the boy. It's just a tiny amount (I'm talking teaspoons) but he seems to go #2 better when he's getting those little tsp's of mama's milk. I wish more than anything I could give him the real deal all the time. People say any woman can breastfeed if they want to bad enough - they lie. They lie so hard. 

I wish I could say I'm eating better, but I'm not. I've just been eating whatever which isn't something I can do without consequences. However, I've decided to just roll with it until the new year and then get back to that vegan life that helped us get healthier and finally have a baby in the first place. DH is onboard. I've been researching recommendations on foods to avoid and foods to eat in abundance from Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. McDougall. I'm pretty into recipes like this one: 

https://www.rawtillwhenever.com/easy-vegan-burrito-bowl/

As always, feel free to ask questions or talk about what is immediate to you and your postpartum healing… nursing, stitches, postpartum emotions, sleep… 

What kind of self care are you doing to keep your batteries charged? I need to be more purposeful about that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista even tsps of BM are full of good things for your little one. I commend your commitment! 

Good questions...I'll repost t next week if you don't get many answers to it due to the holidays 

3 weeks and 4 days. Overall doing pretty well. Struggled with some baby blues last week and found that if I was overly tired that would bring on more tears those days. Only had one random cry shesh this week. 

Also.. when does PP bleeding usually end?

Just prenatals and I've added some emergen-C to get those extra vitamins  

Not really being to crazy but have been trying to eat more greens and oatmeal everyday. Also have been trying to drink a lot of water  I don't feel like I've been drinking enough

Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• @Austenista (btw, I don't know why the commas always pop up when I tag your name) .... 
    How to kee batteries charged... 
    Sitting down next to DH and being close to him really seems to center me lately. He travels for work, and when he is gone I float around a bit. When he is back, we have more of a schedule. So I guess the schedule probably helps a lot also. I know I need to get in the habit of one again, when school starts in jan I will be forced into a schedule again. Then in Feb when I start working, more schedule and structure. 
    I also find that when I sleep too late or wake too early, I'm off all day. Again, that schedule, having one really helps out.