December 2016 Moms
Options

Leksil birth story! long- planned cesarean /breech baby

leksiLleksiL member
edited December 2016 in December 2016 Moms
Baby Bells turns one week old today so I thought I would get my birth story done (its about 5:30 am and she fell asleep while nursing. I know if I put her down now she will just wake up again so I'm just vegging out until she will finish) 

as some one of you know, we had a scheduled cesarean due to breech presentation. This was pretty devastating to us as we were shooting for a natural birth and spent a lot of time preparing for that. At the end of the day we obviously wanted and did what was best for Bells. 

The aurgwry was was set for noon and we had to be there at 10. Of course I got no sleep the night before especially since everyone knew the date so I got a billion text messages and calls asking if I was nervous (which made me so) and wanting to talk about cesareans. They monitored me and ran two bags of saline through an IV. DH was so great and kept me in good spirits. They confirmed she was still breech via ultrasound and they walked me basically across the hall from my room to the OR. 

The OR was smaller than I imagined as was the bed. There was a big machine that had something to do with smoke that made me nervous. The anesthesiologist was super nice but was very nervous about me vomiting and made 10 requests for me to let him know the second I felt any nausea so he could change the medication. I sat up sideways on the table and I had to bend towards the nurse with me back popped out for the numbing injection and then the spinal block, neither of which was very painful. I laid down and things started to go numb. I was very concerned because I could still feel my toes but I felt nothing during the procedure. Once they put the spinal in DH was allowed in and held my hand through the whole thing which really didn't take long. I was very emotional and happy crying. 

they used a clear drape so I could see Bells being born. I couldn't see much however because I was obviously laying down and the angle. DH didn't look until they were pulling Bells from my abdomen, feet first. I got to see the baby being pulled up but still didn't believe she was mine. DH felt what he describes as a lightening bolt of love and she has been his world ever since. They took her to a warming station and DH went with them and I was all alone for about 10 minutes. The staff were great and they did bring her over to do skin to skin and nursing. I was still in disbelief and then the nausea hit hard. I had some dry heaving for a few minutes which was the most uncomfortable part of the whole procedure (besides the recovery itself). They eventually finished and I was wheeled back to my room. 

We we stayed at the hospital for two days (admitted Thursday discharged Saturday morning). I wasn't feeling great at all but at the hospital they don't let you sleep- they come in with vitals for baby then you have to call nurse every few hours for meds, etc. the first night was horrible - I had very bad itching all over my body, in my eyes, etc from the morphine in the anesthesia, the IV machine beeped constantly and alarmed twice, and I had these balloons on my legs that were constantly inflating and deflating. On top of that I had to call the nurse every time we were going to feed Bells so they could monitor her sugar levels since she was so small (5-12, 18"), which invoked poking her in the feel with a needle.

i was also told that Bells was tongue tied, which meant that her tongue was connected to the bottom of her mouth all the way to the tip. This was obviously causing latching problems so we had a fernectomy. DH went with her and I asked him if he was crazy and he says - I have to go in case she needs me. When they clipped her he said it was the most horrible thing he had ever seen and he was devastated. He really changed overnight - went from someone who joked about never changing diapers to do king everything and anything he could for this baby and me. 

Ive been having problems with BFing that I'm starting to get under control, and the baby blues pretty hard. There is a lot of resentment about not having the birth we planned, the pain from the cesarean, not being able to care for her, the BF problems and the delayed attachment. DH and she are so perfect together and I feel like I don't deserve them, I did eventually fall in loVe with the baby and we are connecting more every day. My doctor says the baby blues only lasts two eeeks so I am hopeful that things will get better. I've enjoyed the time with DH who has really stepped up and is the best daddy Bells could ask for. This parenting thing  is really so much more difficult than I was expecting! 

If anyone makes it this far thanks for reading and here is a cute baby picture as a reward! ;)
Me: 38, DH: 36 
Married Jan 2008 
DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

Re: Leksil birth story! long- planned cesarean /breech baby

• Options
    Congrats! Give yourself time - mourning the loss of the birth experience you wanted is totally understandable and those feelings need to be felt. And they'll start fading with time.

your girl is beautiful!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options

congratulations on your baby girl.  and take the time to feel all the feelings about the birth. I know exactly what you mean by not believing she is yours.  having a baby should be an active experience and with c/s it's so passive and detached.  it is good that they used a clear drape, hold on to that picture in your mind, it will help solidify things for you as you go through this. less like a magic show with baby just coming out from behind the curtain.  it sounds like your DH is super supportive and hopefully you can talk to him about what your feeling.  it WILL get better with time, you will find ways to bond with your daughter despite the loss of immediate attachment, and don't be afraid to talk through your feelings with anyone who will listen (just be prepared to shut them down when they start with the "at least...")  surgery is trauma, no matter how planned out it is.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on your beautiful girl and thanks for sharing your story. 
    Im so glad your H has really stepped up and stepped in to help and offer support. Go easy on yourself right now and don't let that 2 week suggestion be a hard deadline for you. Allow yourself the time you need to process and bond and just rest from everything. Having a baby does crazy things to the mind and body that no one can really truly prepare you for. Continue to be transparent and honest about what you're feeling and know that those feelings and the process is valid. 
    Youre doing great, Momma❤️
  • Options
    Congrats on your baby girl - she is beautiful.  I'm sorry things have been up and down.  I can definitely relate to not feeling an instant connection to the baby.  I love this guy and I'm so glad he's here but at first I was surprised not to feel any "overwhelming love" towards him.  I think (hope?) it's pretty normal.  Hoping things settle down for you soon.
  • Options
    I am normally in the January board, so sorry for the intrusion, but thank you for sharing.  I just wanted to let you know that my friend did not fall in love with her baby for several months, and was quiet depressed the first few months, but is now an amazing and very happy mother, so much so, that she quit her job to stay home full time It's completely natural to be sad/not instantly fall in love, and don't hold yourself up to false expectations that everything is supposed to be perfect and go a certain way! 
  • Options
    maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited December 2016
    Every time I have to "get to know" my new baby... it's like they come as a little stranger into our lives. It takes some time to get to know them and love them as you "date" and learn each other. Don't feel guilty... it's real life. Hugs and be gracious with yourself.  <3 Hey... and that you for being real and sharing! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    Aww what a beautiful story. Your DH sounds like a great guy (love the "lightning bolt of love" description!). Yes, give yourself time to heal and to process what happened. My birth wasn't trauma-free so I get where you're coming from! <3
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    These births never seem to go quite as planned- give yourself grace and time to accept it all. (Which goes for all things parenting too)

I also don't bond immediately, but it comes with time and I don't think about it twice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats! Give yourself time - mourning the loss of the birth experience you wanted is totally understandable and those feelings need to be felt. And they'll start fading with time.

your girl is beautiful!
    I agree with slarty, feel them, work with them, and remember that you did what was best for Bells. And the disappointment in not having the birth experience that you pictured will fade with time. 

You have a beautiful birth experience, my eyes got all watery reading it. Congratulations on your little girl. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone really appreciate the kind words and encouragement! We are doing better day by day especially as we work on our sleeping arrangements! We really love our little monkey and she is getting big too fast (although still in premie clothes!)
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020