August 2017 Moms

Prenatal Vitamins and Nausea

Anyone else not doing well with taking prenatal vitamins? I'm generally nauseous in the morning anyway, but I think I feel even worse after taking my prenatals. I'm taking the prenatal gummies. Should I take them at a different time or since it says to take 2, take one in the morning and one at night? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Prenatal Vitamins and Nausea

• I always take mine at night right before bed. That way if there is any nausea, I'm sleeping ;)
    ~Aryn
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • They made me nauseous with my first. Like the previous poster said, I also started taking them right before bed and then I didn't have any issues. Try that! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you taking a stool softener?  The extra iron might be making you constipated and could be leading to nausea.

DD.R: 2013
    DD.C: 2015
    #3EDD: 8/1/2017

• I agree...I've always taken mine in the evening or at night right before bed.
  • I found I couldn't handle a prenatal on an empty stomach and that the capsules were worse to take then the hard pill so I switched. I take them in the evening too!
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• I agree with taking them at night to reduce nausea.
  • I take them at lunch after I eat a full meal, otherwise they make me queasy. Vitamins should always be taken with food.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I can only take mine after eating something. Taking them at night doesn't work for me. My body just gets nauseous anyways and then I'm up all night feeling sick. 
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I second the iron issue. With my first I was really nauseous but never threw up. My OB looked at my prenatals and told me to only take the one with folic acid in it and stop taking the one with iron in it for a few weeks (my prenatals are multiple pills, not just one). HUGE difference!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I take mine at night with a light snack about an hour before bed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take the gummies (which don't have iron) because I can't swallow pills. I take them after eating breakfast and have never had a problem. I was anemic in my last pregnancy... soooo I guess I should figure out how to get iron in me
  • @middy411 they make gummy vitamins with iron.  You won't find them in the store (b/c the thought of children accidentally getting ahold of candy with iron in it is super scary).  But I had ordered some off Amazon a while ago.

• Thank you @Peedy!!! I'll order some now
  • Thank you @Peedy!!! I'll order some now
  • @peedy and @middy411 would you mind sharing a link to the prenatal gummies with iron that you found? I was taking Target gummies and switched to Naturemade soft gels since they have iron, but would love another option!
    Me:34 | DH: 35
    Married: 6/10/11
    *TW BFP: 12/4/16  EDD: 8/12/17
  • @Lmmtravels @middy411I don't have a link..  but here is a photo of my gummies.  It's a low dose because they're children's..  but it's something! 
  • Be warned..   they are not as delicious as most gummy prenatals.
  • Thank you, @Peedy!
    Me:34 | DH: 35
    Married: 6/10/11
    *TW BFP: 12/4/16  EDD: 8/12/17
  • I took the gummy ones before my 1st pregnancy, but once I started feeling sick, I couldn't take them anymore. It felt like they were expanding in my mouth.  I do the one a day prenatal.   My sister said that when she takes hers, she drinks a few ounces of apple juice with it and it helps
  • I've been taking mine at night, but last night woke up at 2am feeling sick. Tonight I'm sleeping with saltines next to my bed. :neutral:
  • @Lmmtravels @Peedy I actually got online and found a brand called BellyBar Prenatals that is a chewable instead of a gummy and has iron. I'm going to check my Walgreens tomorrow for it. The reviews for it were quite impressive so I think it's probably a great prenatal all around. Excited to try!

• If you haven't already, it's also a good idea to have your OB check your prenatals to make sure you're getting what you need. Plus, if they are making you sick, they can recommend a different one. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I took those bellybar chewables with DD. They do not taste good and the flavor would come up with burps and things. BUT I could keep them down so I just dealt with it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did much better today. Had to take them with food. And it couldn't be right before or right after. I had to do it between bites of food.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't been able to find a vitamin that I'm not allergic to. I'm having to go the food route for my prenatal. I take blackstrap molasses for calcium, iron, and trace minerals, try to drink some fresh grapefruit juice or some carrot juice and just eat super healthy with minimal processed products. I also eat lots of greens and beans as well. Maybe the doc will be able to prescribe a hypoallergenic vitamin that is ok. We will see. 
  • Take them at night before bed. Saved me with DD1
  • Wanted to update that I started taking the BellyBar chewables this week and also thought I started to get MS. I took the prenatal with breakfast but around 2-3pm my nausea would get pretty bad and last all evening. After I almost threw up nursing DD at 4am last night, I decided to try not taking the new prenatal to see if it helped. I feel 1000x better today! Nausea almost gone. I figured if it was the prenatal I would just feel sick immediately after taking but apparently not. Hoping I continue to feel well but I'll have to figure out another way to get my iron...
  • I was taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatals at night and didn't have an issues. They're made to be taken on an empty or full stomach so that might be why. They were out of stock when I went to get more yesterday, so now I have Ultra Mega Green Prenatals. So far, so good. I think taking them at night might be the trick :)

• oriole2017oriole2017 member
    edited December 2016
    @isaccsrib2005  ve you tried prenatals made from organic foods? I take this one from garden of life and supplement other vitamins I need in higher doses (an additional vitamin D pill, etc based on blood testing). It's a good multi pill to start. It's food based. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I couldn't take prenatals with my first. I tried 10 types and I tried different times of the day I always immediately threw them up. I quit trying and got diet tips. 
    I'm waiting til after Christmas to get my prenatals but I've been able to take my regular vitamins so I hope I'll be able to this time. 
  • I just started using the Honest Brand.. they are great! With DS I tried so many types and nothing agreed with me. 
    Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!