June 2017 Moms

Weaning off Diclegis...

Who has started weaning off Diclegis? I'm 14 weeks now and finally feeling a lot better, but I'm terrified of weaning!  How did it go for you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Married 7/11/09 TTC #1 Since 05/10
BFP #1 09/20/10 Natural m/c 10/05/10
BFP! #2 04/21/11... Beta 16 DPO: 437, 18 DPO:1446 Ultrasound 6w6d TWINS!
Annabel & Sophia Born 11/28/11 at 34w6d
BFP #3 10/4/16... Beta 13 DPO: 145, 15 DPO: 367 12/1/16 It's a GIRL!

Re: Weaning off Diclegis...

• melaneejomelaneejo member
    edited December 2016
    I didn't wean off of mine, I just stopped taking it about a week ago and haven't had any side effects (except some nausea from time to time). Good luck! I'm glad we are feeling better
  • I accidentally quit taking Reglan and I felt fine that day, so I just went with the flow and I've felt great.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Waiting4Fred I've been thinking the same thing.  i went the unisom/B6 route (same drugs in declegis) and i'm scared to stop!!!  I'm currently taking 3 doses ( 2 of B6 and one of the unisom) so maybe I will try cutting back on the B6 to just one per day for a couple days and do it realy slow and see how it goes....  glad to be feeling better, but i dont' want to go back! haha  

how many declegis are you taking daily can u wean back slowly instead of just stopping all otgether?
  • I've been starting this the past 2 - 3 days... I forgot (for the first time) to take my bedtime dose on Sunday, then only took my morning dose/skipped the afternoon and did ok on Monday... then I was too lazy to get out of bed to take it at night after I got in bed/forgot Monday... but I had a little nausea Tuesday so I took it last night and again this morning.

My OB told me to drop the afternoon, then morning, then decrease evening dose from 2 to 1, and then 1 to none.

I feel a lot better than I did when I got on the Rx but at the same time it takes a few days to build up in your system so I'm worried it is a fake 'better' and it will hit me hard after a few days of trying to wean.  For now... I'm just dropping the afternoon and still taking morning and bedtime... if that works out, I'll plan to drop the morning this weekend.
  • I think it takes several days to notice the effects. I weaned back slowly and was only nauseas or vomited occasionally while taking one before bed for several days. My diclegis ran out (at 14 weeks) and I thought I'd be good without it.  About 5 days later I was throwing up 3 to 4 times a day again and felt awful. I refilled my prescription and only take one before bed. It makes such a difference. I plan to try to wean off again in a couple weeks, but my OB said I  can takes one a day for the rest of my pregnancy if I need to.
  • I am down to one a day before as the doctor told me to do. I have been a little more sick but nothing I can not handle and a lot of it is from my poor eat and drinking habits. I am going to try for none starting this weekend. My doctor said do not just jump off so I am trying to sick by what she said. 
    Me: 22 DH: 27
    BFP: 9/29 
  • sparrow-2sparrow-2 member
    edited December 2016
    I was taking unisom/B6 from week 10-13 and still throwing up :(  Just started diclegis last weekend at 14 weeks - even though it's the same, the difference is like night and day, mostly the nausea is managed now, whew!  Won't be giving it up anytime soon, still feel the nausea right before bed as the meds wear off or as brushing my teeth triggers the gag reflex :(  Curious to see how it goes for others.
    Me: 34, FTM, DH: 34
    BFP: 9/30/16, EDD: 6/9/17
  • sparrow said:
    I was taking unisom/B6 from week 10-13 and still throwing up :(  Just started diclegis last weekend at 14 weeks - even though it's the same, the difference is like night and day, mostly the nausea is managed now, whew!  Won't be giving it up anytime soon, still feel the nausea right before bed as the meds wear off or as brushing my teeth triggers the gag reflex :(  Curious to see how it goes for others.
    I was having the same issue - it's now become a bit of a game for me to remember to brush my teeth as early as possible so that the diclegis hasn't worn off (I once made the mistake of taking it before brushing my teeth and promptly threw up...). Glad it's working for you - I'm definitely sticking with it for a bit longer as I'm just feeling a bit better and don't want to risk it getting worse again.
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • I stopped the noon one, and then the morning Dose after a week. I've continued the two before bed. I still have the nausea in the background.
  • I'm too scared to stop my B6/Unisom! I take 12.5mg Unisom and 50mg B6 twice a day. I have about a weeks worth of unisom left so I'll see how it goes when that runs out. I'll be over 13 weeks by then so hoping it goes well!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • alm52386 said:
    I'm too scared to stop my B6/Unisom! I take 12.5mg Unisom and 50mg B6 twice a day. I have about a weeks worth of unisom left so I'll see how it goes when that runs out. I'll be over 13 weeks by then so hoping it goes well!!
    If you're not longer nauseous, you shouldn't be afraid... I started weaning off at week 13... Still take night doses because it helps me sleep and I want to finish off the bottle of Diclegis. Now I get more headaches. 
  • @NYCProf I feel a lot better but some days I still get a little nauseous around 8pm or so. Maybe I'll cut out a dose and see what happens!
  • I was taking unisom/b6 and I tried to stop cold turkey and got some really funny symptoms.  I wasn't nauseous anymore but I had a fuzzy head, achy and about to get a cold feeling all over.  So I started taking it every other day for a a couple weeks then every 3 days and have now stopped.  
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    I was having the same issue - it's now become a bit of a game for me to remember to brush my teeth as early as possible so that the diclegis hasn't worn off (I once made the mistake of taking it before brushing my teeth and promptly threw up...). Glad it's working for you - I'm definitely sticking with it for a bit longer as I'm just feeling a bit better and don't want to risk it getting worse again.
    I didn't think of that, but I will try brushing earlier!  Glad it's working for you too:)
    Me: 34, FTM, DH: 34
    BFP: 9/30/16, EDD: 6/9/17
  • I'm down to one at night ((trying to stretch my samples because it's not covered with insurance). I've had some pretty nasty head aches and have felt nauseous on and off but not nearly as bad as I was.
  • edited December 2016
    I wrote earlier about just taking night dose (2) and stopping the morning and noon at 14 weeks. Woke up with increased nauseous and with headache. I'm sure it has to do  with lack of sleep. Went to Bocelli concert with DH at MSG and got home after 11pm. Up at 7am for a longgggg day at work. I carry Unisom and B6 with me and will take 25mg of B6 and half a Unisom. Thank goodness it does make me drowsy at half dose. Will also take Tylenol. Holiday break can't come quicker and neither can feel better again. I'm already 15 weeks. Can I get a break?
  • Just when I thought things were getting better... Nope. Almost 15 weeks and still have crazy nausea and vomiting even with the 3 Diclegis I'm still taking. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 7/11/09 TTC #1 Since 05/10
    BFP #1 09/20/10 Natural m/c 10/05/10
    BFP! #2 04/21/11... Beta 16 DPO: 437, 18 DPO:1446 Ultrasound 6w6d TWINS!
    Annabel & Sophia Born 11/28/11 at 34w6d
    BFP #3 10/4/16... Beta 13 DPO: 145, 15 DPO: 367 12/1/16 It's a GIRL!

• @alm52386 i feel ya.  I stopped by evening B6 two nights ago, and felt crummy last night so I'm startign it back up again tonight!!!  its really harmless, so take it till  you feel you don't need it!  But be careful about stopping cold turkey (using it till you run out) because that can have opposite effect sometimes... maybe try to wean off before then and see how it goes if that's your plan.  like @JessyKV said!
  • I stopped taking mine cold turkey and I was fine. 
  • @owensmom0807 what was your dose/frequency?
  • I've been doing 50mg B6 and 12.5mg Unisom at night and in the AM. Which do you ladies suggest I cut out first?? I think I'm gonna cut back to one dose a day for a week then none. 
  • I cut out the morning dose first...  I still take the night dose. 
  • @jessykv @nycproof @alm52386 @owensmom0807

Tagging you ladies because I'm 13w4days and looking to stop Unisom/B6. I know it's been like 5 days since the last post on this thread, but any updates/tips on stopping/weaning?

Been taking 25mg B6 (half-tab) and 12.5mg Unisom (half-tab) twice a day and forgot an evening and morning dose when on vacay last week and was vomiting before bed. I promptly restarted with my bedtime dose after the puking had subsided. 

Just want to know if any of you were dependent on the stuff but were able to successfully get off. How did you make the decision to stop? Also, how far along were you and did you have any side effects after stopping?

Thanks for any help!

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• edited December 2016
    MrsCaliRN said:
    @jessykv @nycproof @alm52386 @owensmom0807

Tagging you ladies because I'm 13w4days and looking to stop Unisom/B6. I know it's been like 5 days since the last post on this thread, but any updates/tips on stopping/weaning?

Been taking 25mg B6 (half-tab) and 12.5mg Unisom (half-tab) twice a day and forgot an evening and morning dose when on vacay last week and was vomiting before bed. I promptly restarted with my bedtime dose after the puking had subsided. 

Just want to know if any of you were dependent on the stuff but were able to successfully get off. How did you make the decision to stop? Also, how far along were you and did you have any side effects after stopping?

Thanks for any help!
    I'm 16 weeks and 1 day. I'm still nauseous after eating so I take 1/2 unisom and 25 mg b6 during the day as needed and still take night dose of full unisom and 25 mg b6. I don't think the problem is so much a reaction / side effect to withdrawal but more so that the nausea hasn't left me since it began at 5 weeks. I also have headaches like everyday. People say by 17 weeks, it should be 100% gone but who knows. It's such a gross icky feeling especially around the holiday season.

My decision to stop was that the nausea wasn't as severe as before, but still in the background. It's bearable but sometimes I just want to be nausea free (which only happens on an empty stomach when I first wake up usually). I began to reduce my dose at around 13 weeks as well. Always kept the night time. Took them three times per day and went through 3 bottles of Diclegis. Now on to Unisom and B6 doses.
  • alm52386alm52386 member
    edited December 2016
    I decided to stop because the nausea had gone away. I went from twice a day down to only at night on Monday. Then got a stomach bug in the middle of the night Tuesday so I hadn't taken it wed night or TH night. I'm still feeling nauseous today and wasn't sure if it's the bug still or from not taking the B6/unisom. I actually just took it to see if it helps. I was not vomiting before though. Only pretty bad nausea all day. Once I started the B6/unisom the nausea would start later and later in the day until it stopped about a week ago!

Edited to add: I was 13w1d when I stopped the AM dose
  • I am down to one diclegis and I throw up for the first time in weeks this morning. It was crazy I was fine thinking I should eat breakfast (which is hard for me) then all of a sudden I was like man I don't feel well bam three minutes later I was running to the bathroom. I was afraid that it was the stomach bug and had roman noodles for lunch but nothing since so it must just be the baby
    Me: 22 DH: 27
    BFP: 9/29