March 2017 Moms
Options

Birthing Classes

Hi, I'm a FTM and I'm completely clueless about birthing classes. I did a quick search here, but didn't really see where people took classes, but let me know if there is already a board discussion about this.

I know my HD and I would like to, at least attend, one class to better know what to expect and what our birthing options are. Where did you take your birthing classes? Did you take them at the hospital that you planed to deliver at or somewhere else? Did anyone's insurance cover all or part of the cost? I just don't even know where to start. Any advise or knowledge is much appreciated!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birthing Classes

• Options
    We haven't taken any but are planning to. We're doing a hypnobabies course which focuses on preparing for an unmedicated childbirth plus a basics of childbirth course that goes through all the possible interventions, pros/cons, reasons you may need them, etc. Our hospital offers a childbirth course but we're going through a local doula group that teaches them instead, because we took an infant care class run by the hospital and it didn't have as much info as we wanted and the teacher was limited in what she could say/make recommendations on, which was a bummer. Our insurance doesn't cover classes but I know that many plans and FSAs will. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are taking classes at the hospital that I will deliver at so we can know exactly what to expect. I didn't look into insurance coverage, but the entire cost was $85. I guess I should see if insurance would reimburse us for part of that...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My fsa can be used for birthing and breastfeeding classes, but not infant care. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    We took a childbirth class that educated you on your birthing options with the leaning towards a nonmedical birth and it was awesome. We took that through a local place but was run by a doula (we didn't use one).  We did the hospital tour to see where I would deliver and get to see the alternative birthing center. We didn't do any breastfeeding or newborn classes. I was successful with nursing my son for 15 months and I think it mostly comes down to having a good lactation consultant after (my morning nurse was one in the hospital and it was awesome!) and also having a "can do" attitude. Good luck finding the right combination for you! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    The hospital that I will deliver offers classes...I've already signed up for 3 classes (i did infant CPR and breastfeeding this week) and paid $90 total. The childbirth class includes a tour of the birthing center too.
  • Options
    see "When are you -lanning to take classes?"
  • Options
    I signed up for a childbirth class that runs 4 weeks, it is at the hospital where I will deliver. It was $115 but my insurance will reimburse me for $100 of it. My insurance also covers the cost of the breastfeeding class I signed up for 100%. 
  • Options
    We're starting Bradley classes in January. It's an hour from home and somewhat costly ($350), but its the method that I really wanted to learn and that's the closest instructor to us. Haven't looked into if insurance will cover.

My midwife was pleasantly surprised when we told her that was the class we were taking. She said that she hadn't had a patient take a Bradley class for a while (probably because of the lack of instructors in our area), but she loves it when they do. She said that in her experience, those patients come in better prepared because the class is so thorough.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! A lot of great ideas for me to look into. I checked out our hospital, but it looks like they only have a 1-day class on Saturdays and my DH works Saturdays. So I will look into a local place (possibly run by a doula, although I no nothing about doulas either...)

@Spartanrd4 I almost forgot about looking up 
    infant CPR classes! my husband recently got certified at his work so I need to find something for myself. 

@sunshine507
    hypnobabies classes sound interesting. I will look into that. 

@JustAnotherUsername16 I was thinking the same thing about classes at the hospital, but it looks like the options they offer are very limited at my hospital. 

@shines721 That's awesome that you had someone great at your hospital! My sister is a 
    lactation consultant for Kaiser (but I don't have Kaiser insurance) and I will be relying heavily on her for help! 

@catem07 and @disneybaby84  Thanks!

@jenny0228 I like that your insurance is coving so much of the cost! FX that mine will cover some too. 

@RunBooRun I have heard of the 
    Bradley class, but I need to look into whether they offer them in my area. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have a health unit that offers various free services. That's where I was able to take a birthing class, postpartum class and breastfeeding class. After the class they also offered a free service if you signed up where a nurse would come to my house weekly to weigh baby, talk milestones, offer breastfeeding support etc. I'm in Canada so not sure this information helps but for any of the ladies in Ontario who are interested in a service like this, definitely helpful to get in touch with a local health unit. 
  • Options
    @GoldenTMama The Bradley method is a standard 12 week course. I know I only have 12 weeks left so it is time sensitive if anyone is interested. 
  • Options
    @DizzyMom Good to know! I only have 11 weeks to go! 

@Burrberrymum That's awesome! I doubt there is anything like that on the U.S. side of the border. I found out my insurance only covers a lactation class, so any birthing or postpartum classes will be out of our pocket. But thank you for sharing that so that other lades in Canada are aware too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker