January 2017 Moms
Options

All things feeding

Would anyone be interested in starting a nursing/feeding/supplementing/pumping thread to ask and answer questions? 

I have a new situation this time that I'm anxious to get some input on.  I making an appointment with my LC tomorrow.  

When I woke up the day I started labor I was really engorged.  DS3 was a late preemie so he was very, very sleepy and he also needed his sugars checked frequently. He has a beautiful latch but it was nearly impossible to get him interested enough to actually nurse for a decent amount of time despite trying all the "tricks".  Also, it was really important that he was still getting food in the meantime.  Due to this I asked for a pump for some relief and pumped a ton.  My LC at the hospital said it was really unusual for someone to get that much, that soon.  Unfortunately after one or two amazing sessions it started going away to the point that I was pumping frequently and getting literally nothing.  DH and I didn't feel comfortable nursing knowing this because it was so imperative that we were making sure he wasn't losing too much and end up in the NICU.  

So far I've been pumping and giving formula since I'm not getting milk anymore.  I've already started taking the max amount of Fenugreek, drinking a ton of water and religiously pumping as often as I can.  I have noticed that I'm starting to see signs of milk coming in and I'm getting at least a few drops at this point.  Has anyone ever had it happen that they had a ton of milk before birth, dried up and then started making again? I'm a little encouraged by recent changes but just confused by what has happened so far.  My husband is really supportive and kind and just wants me to do what I can and give DS3 what I'm able.  He would be fine if it didn't come in but I had really hoped to make it a few months with combo feeding (hopefully longer if things go well!) 

Re: All things feeding

• Options
    Have you tried nursing and immediately following with a bottle of formula? It might help your supply to let baby nurse (even if it seems like mostly dry nursing), and then let him take a bottle so you know he's still getting enough at each feeding. Hopefully the lactation consultant has some ideas for you, it sounds stressful. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been seeing a LC in advance of birth because of possible issues involving the early days and have been encouraged to express in advance. 
    She did however push the use of hand expression over pumping both before, during the colostrum and early milk stages. She seemed to suggest it was better for supply. I also read somewhere that hand expression after pumping can free the remaining milk and it is the last bits of milk that have the chemical in that sends the message to your brain to increase supply. This is what the baby is doing when they are cluster feeding.
    Hand expression has been going well for me but the quantities are far less than you would use of formula because the consistency and make up is so different. 
    Don't know if any of that is helpful in the slightest.
    Hope it gets easier. I think part of the key is the more you start worrying about how much you are getting the less you will because you are inhibiting the oxytocin. But that's far easier said than done.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haven't had my baby yet, but thank you for creating this thread! I think it'll be super useful for loads of people as more and more babies start arriving  :)

I hope the appt with your LC goes well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks :) .  I was actually able to get some today, it was a small amount but definitely seems to be increasing.  I've mainly been just letting him nurse a tiny bit if he is fussy while making a bottle though I should more often.  We will do more of that as he gets a little stronger which will hopefully helps things along too.  I don't want to let him dry nurse too often only because I don't want him burning too many calories...he is so tiny compared to my others!! I'm going to definitely work on some hand expressing as well.  Hopefully this thread will be helpful for questions and advice. We are staying really positive and trying not to worry too much about it since the most important thing is that he stays healthy and gaining weight. 
  • Options
    That's awesome. I think open minded and adapting to circumstance has to be key in these things. Really pleased he's doing well 
  • Options
    @xinran For the same reasons you mention, my LCs also recommend you make sure you're doing breast massages as you get to the end of each pumping session to make sure you're getting the most out of each session.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @xinran For the same reasons you mention, my LCs also recommend you make sure you're doing breast massages as you get to the end of each pumping session to make sure you're getting the most out of each session.
    When I've pumped with my first two, I also found using a warm compress or those lansinoh (I think) purple bead things that can be hot or cold.  They really helped in getting more milk out.
    I also used essential oils to help supply: fennel and basil.
  • Options
    @lindsladle15 I'll have to try the basil.  Was the fennel you used topical? I used a topical fennel essential oil with DS2 but it gave me a horrible itchy rash all over my boobs after about a week! Is there a different method I could use to get it? Is the basil topical? 

So I've been able to pump some today, not just drops but it is clearly still cholostrum.  I'm wondering if maybe my big pump in the hospital was a fluke and lactation was just delayed because its obviously not milk yet. Crossing my fingers! Thanks for all the tips, everyone has been really helpful. 
  • Options
    @ElleMF728 I used both topically, but you could use them internally (a drop in a glass of water or a drop or two in a veggie capsule).  I also got skin irritation from the fennel, but I neglected to dilute it in a roller with a carrier oil.  I will this time!
  • Options
    A friend made me a topical roller with fennel and a few other oils allegedly good for milk production. Mixed with coconut oil it didn't irritate my skin, but the fennel smells like sausage and my dogs won't stop sniffing me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Have you done a weighted feed? You may not be responding to the pump, but the baby may be able to transfer milk just fine. I have heard of women who are unable to pump, but have plump healthy kiddos who do fine from the boob. 
  • Options
    @ThePax89 I haven't yet but I meet with my LC tomorrow and she will do one there to see if that may be an issue. If it is I might ask my OB for a prescription for a new one. I am responding more to the pump now though! It's not a lot and its cholostrum still at day 5, but I'm getting more each day :) I've been able to feed him twice today so far.  
  • Options
    @ElleMF728 great! I'm hoping that your milk comes in soon. Is your pump new? Can you rent a hospital grade one?