April 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Q and A's

I thought this would be a great go to for my fellow Nursers! My first question.... is it true that nursing is its own birth control??? I  haven't had my period since baby was born, I had like 4 days of bleeding right after he was born and since then, nothing. I was on the mini pill but I'm horrible at taking it; so I've pretty much said screw it.. we still use the pullout method but I'm half tempted to get an arm implant.... 

Re: Breastfeeding Q and A's

• No, it's definitely not birth control. I ovulated twice before getting my first period with this baby.  It came back at 5 mos, 5 mos, 2 mos, and 4 mos with my four babies. It's different for each person and each pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have not had my period yet after 6 months but wouldn't use breastfeeding as birth control.   Too many Irish twins out there proving it doesn't always work!

you might be ovulating for the first time and get pregnant again before you have a chance to get your firstborn period. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My question is: 
    Are any other babies not really into solids?  T takes solids at day care fine, but won't at home from anyone.
  • My question is: 
    Are any other babies not really into solids?  T takes solids at day care fine, but won't at home from anyone.
    My son wants nothing to do with solids! The one thing he doesn't mind is the beach nut organic cereal, I mix it with breast milk. Other then that, nothing! My pediatrician said it's completely normal with nursing babes, they like more flavor when baby food is bland! 
  • My question is: 
    He just started eating solids this week. Once I discovered that he liked sweet potatoes, I thought that maybe it was a texture preference. Once I added oatmeal to his other veggies to thicken them up considerably, he started eating everything. My other ebf babies took to solids right away at 4 mos.
  • BF is definitely not birth control! Don't do that unless you want another baby right away. My period came back at 9 mos with DD1 and 5 mos this time around. Both times it's taken a few cycles to normalize. This month I got no period, but I am pretty sure I ovulated, and I know I am not pregnant.

My BF baby loves solids. We have been doing BLW, with lots of success. I think she pretty much wants to eat whenever the rest of us do now.
    kids with flags
  • My question is: 
    Yes, my DD is not into solids at all. She pushes all fruits, veggies, cereal, etc. right out of her mouth the second it goes in. 

I totally agree with @Cwyatt2571 I think she's used to more flavor and a sweeter taste from the breastmilk. 
  • My questions:
    How long are all of you planning to nurse? 
    Is anyone else EPing still? I know @yodiggity said she is :smile:
  • This is MTV first child, still no period yet. I know for sure I ovulate though. 
    We are doing BLW too so we'be been experimenting with solids. He mostly plays and smashes it, but we does ingest a bit though. Always more than I think!
  • Thanks, ladies. He'll take some pear and sweet potato, but he locks his lips for everything else haha. We'll just give it time. 
    @runningwild I nurse at home and pump while I'm at work. I plan on pumping until the 1 year mark (I have about a 2 month surplus as of now), but I will continue to nurse as long as he wants.  I'd rather not go past 2 years. He's a big comfort murder and I don't foresee him giving it up easily.
  • My questions:
    I'm still EPing. Almost 7 months PP.
  • My questions:
    I plan to nurse until DS is 2 but he might have some other plans. I get 90 minutes off from work if I am breastfeeding/pumping until baby is a year old so I'll definitely take advantage of that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought this would be a great go to for my fellow Nursers! My first question.... is it true that nursing is its own birth control??? I  haven't had my period since baby was born, I had like 4 days of bleeding right after he was born and since then, nothing. I was on the mini pill but I'm horrible at taking it; so I've pretty much said screw it.. we still use the pullout method but I'm half tempted to get an arm implant.... 
    It most definitely is not effective birth control! I'm currently about seven weeks pregnant.
    The Bump keeps eating the rest of my post! I meant to add that my cycle started up at 8 weeks PP, and I was EBFing at that time.
  • I'm still EP'ing as well and I plan to continue until she's 1.
  • I thought this would be a great go to for my fellow Nursers! My first question.... is it true that nursing is its own birth control??? I  haven't had my period since baby was born, I had like 4 days of bleeding right after he was born and since then, nothing. I was on the mini pill but I'm horrible at taking it; so I've pretty much said screw it.. we still use the pullout method but I'm half tempted to get an arm implant.... 
    It most definitely is not effective birth control! I'm currently about seven weeks pregnant.
    The Bump keeps eating the rest of my post! I meant to add that my cycle started up at 8 weeks PP, and I was EBFing at that time.
    Congratulations @ladylolly89!!
    Yay, congrats! :smiley:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Definitely not birth control and my DS was a little iffy about food when we started. We've been doing a combo of BLW and some mashed/blended version of the same foods. We just keep trying things and he's getting better every day!

My question: Has anyone else been supplementing breast milk with formula or plan to? I've been exclusively BFing/pumping for nearly 7 months now and am about to run out of my extra supply for day care and my pumping at work isn't enough to keep up with what he eats! I'll probably need to do about 12oz or so per week of formula soon to keep up. Any thoughts on mixing with the breastmilk or doing it as a separate bottle?
  • edited October 2016
    stephpl said:
    My question: Has anyone else been supplementing breast milk with formula or plan to? I've been exclusively BFing/pumping for nearly 7 months now and am about to run out of my extra supply for day care and my pumping at work isn't enough to keep up with what he eats! I'll probably need to do about 12oz or so per week of formula soon to keep up. Any thoughts on mixing with the breastmilk or doing it as a separate bottle?
    I'm not pumping anymore, but I did for the first 3 months and supplemented with formula because I am on some strong neuro drugs for epilepsy and he couldn't drink what I pumped for 2 hrs after taking it. ANYWAY, I would find that if I mixed it, I had to feed it immediately bc it would start to separate. The breast milk is fattier so it begins to mess up the consistency of the formula if you leave a mixed bottle in the fridge. If you have just enough to feed immediately though, no prob.

And in response to another PP, my son could also not care less about solids  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Baby food, oatmeal, actual foods, he's just not a huge food guy yet. The one thing he has responded a bit too are those organic teething crackers that turn to mush as they bite them, but I think that is more about the sore gums than the eating aspect. I'm sure a switch will flip on one day and he will care, until then I give the Unimpressed Overlord a few spoonfuls of something different every few days.
  • Congratulations @ladylolly89!  Fun to have two little ones close in age!
  • Thanks, guys! It's exciting, but a bit surreal, and we are still slightly in shock here. It will be fun to have two close in age, though! Provided all goes well, they will be just 14 months apart. 
    Congratulations! How exciting!
  • What's BLW?
    Baby led weaning. Instead of offering purees as a first food, you give table food that is age appropriate and baby feeds herself. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My questions:
    My long term goal has always been one year. At three months, when I went back to work, that changed to 6 months. Now that I am past the 6 month mark, my goal is 9 months. Ep'ing sucks (ha, pun). Some days the only reason I don't quit is that it'll hurt me if I don't pump. Other days are easier and I become one with the pump. lol 
  • Thanks, guys! It's exciting, but a bit surreal, and we are still slightly in shock here. It will be fun to have two close in age, though! Provided all goes well, they will be just 14 months apart. 
    Congratulations! My middles two are 14 mos apart, too.
  • My questions:
    I plan on going for a year and a half to two years, but we'll see. LO is super independent already, so idk how long it will last.

My question is: 

LO loves most solids, but it's not a consistent effort on my part. So far his favorite food is chicken and sauerkraut. And he hates cereals...
  • My questions:
    I plan on going for a year and a half to two years, but we'll see. LO is super independent already, so idk how long it will last.

My question is: 

LO loves most solids, but it's not a consistent effort on my part. So far his favorite food is chicken and sauerkraut. And he hates cereals...
    Thomas hates cereals too. The only solids he really likes are apples, pumpkin and then an apple/kale combo of all things.
  • Do any of you nursing moms have the implanon arm implant birth control???? 
  • Question: does night weaning reduce your milk supply? 
  • marwaaiad said:
    Question: does night weaning reduce your milk supply? 
    From what I understand it should reduce the supply you have at night but you should still be able to keep up with daytime demand if you keep nursing during the day. If you aren't trying to build an extra stash of pumped milk it is fine to enjoy the sleep and let the baby eat when s/he is hungry. 
  • I have a biter! And it hurts!!! Once he's done eating, if I'm not paying attention he chimps down on my nipple! It hurts so bad!! Any helpful tips!?
  • mb0112 said:
    marwaaiad said:
    From what I understand it should reduce the supply you have at night but you should still be able to keep up with daytime demand if you keep nursing during the day. If you aren't trying to build an extra stash of pumped milk it is fine to enjoy the sleep and let the baby eat when s/he is hungry. 
    I think it's a good idea to start pumping at night since it's harder to pump during the day when she's feeding as well. Thanks for the advice! 

• I have a biter! And it hurts!!! Once he's done eating, if I'm not paying attention he chimps down on my nipple! It hurts so bad!! Any helpful tips!?
    I have a biter! And it hurts!!! Once he's done eating, if I'm not paying attention he chimps down on my nipple! It hurts so bad!! Any helpful tips!?
    From what I've heard, if he does that just remove him completely and sit him up. Keep doing that every time he does it till he learns not to do it again. 
  • So, about a month ago I posted about how Thomas wasn't really into solids. Now he can put down 4-5 jars/pouches of baby food a day (no cereal). He also changed his milk intake and is still nursing 8 times a day. DD has always been a small eater, so I don't have a ton of experience with big eaters. I'm starting to worry that he's being overfed, but then I read that they won't over eat solids. Thoughts?
  • marwaaiad said:
    DS started sleeping through the night on his own, so I took that opportunity to sleep 8-9 hours in a row myself! I did that for about a month and started to notice a drastic drop in my supply during the day as well. I just started getting up at 2am to pump for the last week and a half in hopes that it'll pick back up again.