August 2017 Moms

Clothing and Accessories

Question for all ladies: What maternity clothing and accessories do you recommend for first trimester? We're talking bras, bra hook extenders, underwear, pants button extenders, support braces, maternity coats, compression socks, etc...whatever you recommend to combat the bloat! Tell us what brand, give links, prices, etc. if you want / remember!

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility

Re: Clothing and Accessories

• With my first I wasn't in maternity clothes until around 26ish weeks. When it comes time for maternity clothes I recommended Gap and Old Navy. I would only shop at Motherhood Maternity when I had a coupon.

I've heard great reviews about the bella band. There is a section of the website that you can search by trimester. https://www.ingridandisabel.com/shop/maternity-best-sellers/ 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with @britvahok.  I wasn't in maternity clothes during my first tri at all.  I was also well into my 20+ weeks before I needed them. 

90% of my maternity clothes is from LOFT (maternity items are online only), 5% from Gap, and 5% from Target.  I prefer the full panel belly pants. I wore the Vanishing Back bras from Soma that have a band that can expand a bit as you grow too.  I had no desire to buy new strapless bras so I got band extenders for those and survived.  I had a ton of water retention and wore compression socks in the third trimester a lot.  We are lucky to have summer babies as I was in flip flops a ton at the end because my feet were huge. Panties wise, I switched from things to bikinis that I found comfortable. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump Yes! So happy for summer babies! With my first I wore dresses from May until I delivered in August. I never even got maternity jeans. I had 2 pair of work pants and the rest summer dresses with flip flops.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• I wasn't in maternity with my first for a while either but I should've just switched! The belly band is cool and all but maternity pants are so comfortable haha. I would try to look for stretchy/elastic waist type of things that you can also wear post partum(especially if you plan to return to work because you probably won't be back in your regular stuff). I agree with buying used, I see so much in local Facebook groups for maternity clothes. Look for a local moms Facebook group and put out an ISO post? 

Related- anyone planning to do stitch fix maternity? I did it with my last when it was brand new and I was disappointed but my friend had some luck. There is apparently a stitch fix maternity BST group too! 
  • And also, I wore DHs sweat pants around the house and his tshirts too. Save money and who cares what you look like at home as long as you're comfortable. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump   my first pregnancy was almost all winter. I have dreaded having to buy new pregnancy clothes, but summer dresses sound great! 
  • @bumpybump  Ahh good point! So many cute maternity outfits/easy dresses for 3rd trimester 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • bumpybumpbumpybump member
    edited December 2016
    @JakeFromStateFarm I tried out the Bella Bands and thought they were annoying. The ones I had (two colors) would roll and not stay put. I felt like I was always adjusting it. I was more likely to do the hair tie trick with pants when I could. https://diymaternity.com/pants-skirts/the-rubberband-maternity-trick/

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Like others have said, I didn't need maternity clothes until at least halfway through second tri with my first. And for me, the bloat isn't any worse than a period, so right now I'm just wearing my one-size-up pants that I wear during that time of month. I bought most of my maternity clothes at Ross. $4 maternity jeans? Can't beat it! Unfortunately, I've moved and the Ross near me doesn't have a maternity section.
  • Wouldn't spend money until you have to. And even then, borrow, or shop cheap. Target was great. Like many of others have said, I wasn't in maternity until 25 weeks. I bought 2 good pair of jeans that will last for all future pregnancies. That was my big splurge. But save your money...baby will eat it up ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • I didn't have any maternity clothes with my last pregnancy. 
    Did need to size up towards the end (I delivered at 33w), and always wore stretchy clothes, (no jeans) but nothing was needed in the first tri.

However, this time, at only 6w, im sure my boobs have already grown. So may need to retire the nice bras and go back to comfy ones soon! Maybe it's just the fact that they feel like huge heavy lumps of pain right now.

I already live in sweat pants and tights so I have a fair bit of growth room ;) 
  • I have GERD and people were even asking if I was pregnant before I actually was (at 125 lb.). The bloat is real on top of that and I was just hanging in there with the pants I had. I've added some Pink Blush dresses and leggings to my wardrobe since school started again in September just cause they were comfy and I figured it would be less noticeable if I was wearing the same (maternity) clothes later. I'm just tired of unbuttoning and unzipping my pants and the underwire in my bra isn't helping. Thanks for the suggestions so far! 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • My boobs definitely have grown already. Going bra shopping already.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2016
    I really only wore actual maternity clothes in my third tri.  But, during my first and second trimester I LIVED in fold-over leggings!  I have a rectangular shaped body, so pants already fit me tighter around the waist than they do on the legs... so during my first trimester, the added bloat made wearing pants unbearably uncomfortable.   With the fold over leggings you don't get that tightness around the stomach/muffin top area.  My favorite are made by hard tail
    ETA:   I love Free People, and so much of their stuff is so loose and flowy that it almost doubles as maternity wear!! I wore a free people dress for my baby shower!

• PeedyPeedy member
    edited December 2016
    I never went back to real pants after my last baby. My job has no dress code, and I work out a lot..   so I am in leggings, sports bras, and flows tops full time...  and won't break out my maternity jean shorts until it gets warm out.
  • Being a nanny I can get by with wearing whatever I want as long as it's appropriate. I wear either sweat pants or leggings everyday to work. I made the switch to the full panel and Demi panel maternity pants for when I need something nicer. The bloat is real and my jeans already don't fit. I've had to loosen my bra for the day time and wear either a bigger nursing sleep bra (bought big so hopefully it'll fit later) or a sports bra to sleep in. 
  • My friends and I pass around our maternity clothes. We are mostly the same size. I buy off season and look for clearance sales. Target usually has markdowns. 

I thought the belly bands were annoying. I did use them but never felt like my pants were secure. 
    I loved the Jessica Simpson jeans at Motherhood Maternity. So cozy!

i don't have a ton of shorts or whatever so I am looking at consignment shops for those. I plan to wear dresses and non slip flip flops all summer.

PS old navy flops are incredibly slick and when the time comes everyone needs to wear flops that won't make you flop! I had to promise my husband I wouldn't wear them after slipping around in our garage in the spring carrying our son.
  • So I'm a bit of a consignment-store-whore and I love thredup.com.  I just browsed their maternity section and there are some awesome deals so I plan to shop there as much as possible.  

We also have a few thrift stores close to home so I plan to hit those up as well.  I don't mind buying gently used clothing, seeing as how I'm only going to be wearing them for a short amount of time.

EDD 8/14/17
  • I loved targets nursing tanks and nursing bras when my breast size changed and needed some flexibility and softness vs an underwire. I also loved old navy and H&M for pants but loved leggings and dresses while pregnant. I sell LuLaRoe now and it's been literally the best through maternity, postpartum and beyond. If anyone wants to talk about it I actually did a video at one point for pregnant and nursing moms on my Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/lularoekendralee 
  • The pants extenders weren't super great for me, but I didn't really need them first time around. I really didn't look pregnant until at least 20 weeks. I just sort of got thick everywhere. 

The bra-hook extenders were amazing, though.
      ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me: 35  DH: 38  |  Married: 6/2013  |  Pregnancy #1, APurp born 10/2014
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Cravings Ticker 
  • With my first, I carried high and ended up wearing prepregnancy jeans til the last month (at which point it was summer and I lived in gym shorts anyway). I bragged about not needing maternity clothes. Now I'm 5 weeks tomorrow with #2 and I'm ready to switch to maternity stuff even though I'm not showing yet. Comfort > My Vanity lol 
  • I use a hair tie around my jeans for as long as I can. I hated the bands both times I was pregnant before so I don't plan to even try them again. I bought various bras on the cheap (Target) so I could get through the pregnancy. I love full panel maternity pants so I'll be looking for shorts come summer. I hate my legs while preggo tho so I'll probably try to do capris and skirts. I loved being pregnant in the winter with leggings and sweaters. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Two beautiful babies from a previous marriage.
    DS: 8.6.10               DD: 2.19.13

DH: 29    ME: 33
    DH: Low Morphology
    ME: PCOS

Surprise BFP five days before our IUI consult! 
    Overjoyed and thankful.

• ***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Love that Loft has maternity clothes. Love that store!
    Has anyone tried stitch fix for maternity?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Molly1108 I have a stich fix scheduled for Febuary and requested maternity clothing! I have had some great pieces come from there but have also sent back quite a few too. The returns are so easy and I always at least like one piece so I don't lose the $20. 
  • I'm seriously thinking of trying at least one box of stitch fix maternity. Love most of my stitch fix pieces I've gotten in the past.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • has anyone tried Le Tote maternity? It's like Stitch Fix.
    https://www.moneyunder30.com/stich-fix-vs-le-tote

Pregnancy Ticker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I was wondering about Le Tote!
  • I feel like in the first tri I didn't really need anything.  MAybe a belly band? I never changed bras.  Well not sizes anyway.  In my third tri my underwire was terrible so I got a few without. Leggings, tanks, sweaters
  • @Cryssteen I'm about to go shopping for new bras already this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I was in the 2nd tri before I needed to. Did your size change once your milk came in?

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• 1st tri all I needed was a hair tie. Ask around your circle of friends, chances are one of them has a box of maternity clothes collecting dust. 
  • I already had to hair tie my pants that I need for work. Luckily I only have to wear those pants once a week. I was in maternity pants at 8 weeks last time and now it's 6 weeks 
    The rest of the time it's just Lularoe. It stretches enough and still make me feel beautiful and put together. Most of my friends have worn the same size from prepregnacy, the whole way through. I'm excited that I sell and it is available to me now because I was so uncomfortable in maternity clothes. I wore dresses most of the time, but had to buy a larger size which no longer fit. 

As for bras, you might as well just buy the strechy nursing bras now. My boobs grew from a D to a G or H or whatever ridiculous state they were and then stayed as DD. The underwire is already hurting me and I'm hunting for my bras from last time. 
  • dinofreakdinofreak member
    edited December 2016
    I just bought the bella band from https://www.ingridandisabel.com/ based on several recommendations, and I see it on pinterest all. the. time. Of course, I won't need it to hold up my pants for quite a while, but whenever that happens, I'll be glad to have it on hand. Also, I am so bloated all the time (thanks, Christmas cookies) maybe it will help me smooth out the bulges. 

Lularoe has exploded in my town, and my MIL just hosted a party so I got a lot of soft stretchy things for Christmas. Almost all the T-shirts and dresses look maternity on me anyway (BIG butt, narrow torso. I look like a circus tent in anything not fitted through the waist) so I'm looking forward to actually filling them out. 
  • Yes to LLR @MatteaGabrielle I'm so excited to have cute clothes to wear for pregnancy and postpartum. That was such a challenge last time. 
  • I was the person in my last pregnancy that didn't want maternity clothes and finally broke down and bought them at the end of the second trimester.  Here I am barely 6 weeks and I'm ready to make the switch!  I'm going to try and wait until we announce to our families before I start wearing them! Really buying them because I wore my maternity clothes till the end last time! 
  • I also didn't care for th Bella band. Maybe it is because my hips and butt are much larger than my waist and that is what caused the bands not to stay in place?
  • I also didn't care for th Bella band. Maybe it is because my hips and butt are much larger than my waist and that is what caused the bands not to stay in place?
    I hated it too and I'm a very straight shaped. 
  • So what are the best bras to buy? I am 9w tomorrow and already need larger bras. I went to VS yesterday since they have their Semi-Annual sale right now and nothing spoke to me. It was either way too pretty or literally no support. Would love some help with what/where to buy bras since I'm a FTM. Do they keep getting bigger for the next 30 weeks or am I done growing??
    BabyFruit Ticker