July 2017 Moms
Options

Would you fly at 28 weeks?

We booked a trip before I got pregnant and it's non refundable. Happens to be exactly at 28 weeks. A 5 hour flight. My doctor didn't think that we should go. But I've been reading about it and it seems that up to 32 weeks could be OK. This is going to be a really relaxing trip and I'd hate to miss it 
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you fly at 28 weeks?

• Options
    If I were going somewhere in the US, and have no hx of preterm labor, no complications with this pregnancy and bring some of my records, then YES. People go on baby moons all the time at that gestation. Just make sure you move around a lot on the plane because a five hour flight is long especially with a higher risk of blood clots in pregnancy. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best for you and baby. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I flew from Hawaii to San Diego at 28 weeks, from San Diego to Boston at 29 weeks, and from Boston back to Honolulu at 35+6 (the official airline cutoff is 36 weeks). I gave birth almost exactly 3 weeks later. I had no issues other than some swelling in my ankles and my doctor endorsed the trip (my sister's wedding and I was the Matron of Honor).

Make the decision when you're closer to that point and know what you and baby's health looks like, definitely discuss it with the doctor, and if you go, make sure to bring a BIG water bottle that you can have the flight attendants refill as needed and wear compression socks, but as long as you're reasonably healthy and baby looks good, I personally would go.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the advice on a big water bottle and good compression stockings. You may want to request an aisle seat so you can get to the bathroom without crawling over others in your row. Also, when I do long flights I set a timer on my watch or cell phone to remind myself to get up, walk around, and do some stretches and knee bends. I've never traveled while pregnant (FTM here) but I travel internationally a lot and these are things that help me on long flights.

Also- if you are not able to go it may be worthwhile to call the airline and see if you can get your ticket refunded. Even though it isn't refundable they may be able to work with you, especially if you have a note from your doctor saying you are unable to travel for a medical reason. 
  • Options
    I flew at 20 weeks and I would have never even thought to ask my doc if I could fly at 28. I would just be concerned that I couldn't sit comfortably that long. If I was going out of the country maybe I would think twice but I'm kind of surprised there is a concern. 
  • Options
    Is the five hour flight over a large body of water?
  • Options
    I wouldn't, especially against my doctor's advice, but for one I hate flying, and for two I tend to air way on the side of caution, especially during pregnancy. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you feel safe enough to go. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    I flew during my last pregnancy at 28 weeks for work it was a three hour flight. Airport employees were all so nice and extra accommodating. The only reason I would not do it again was the stress when my flight back got canceled. 
    Lilypie - (FR0w)
  • Options
    You can get trip insurance that covers cancellation for any reason for a pretty reasonable price. Buy insurance, think about it for a while, and if you decide to cancel, file a claim. It could also help if you do go and have problems. 
  • Options
    That said, I elected not to attend a wedding when I was probably around that far along with my first pregnancy. It was in Mexico and my pregnancy had been fine, but I wasn't taking chances. 
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm planning to fly to my best friend's wedding at 34-35 weeks.  As long as there are no complications and doc gives you the thumbs up, most airlines will let you fly until 36 weeks.  That being said, it sounds like your doc is not giving you the thumbs up, so if you don't be completely comfy then of course do what is best for you and baby!

edited because words are hard.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I flew Omaha to Chicago and back at 29 weeks with our twins.  Only about 1 1/2 hours each way but I had no issues.  My dr was fine with it and like previous posters said the airport and airline crews were very helpful and accommodating.  Why doesn't your dr think that you should?

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

Pregnancy #1, IUI, MMC, D&C Feb 2012

Pregnancy #2,IUI, MMC, D&C July 2012

Pregnancy #3 IUI, BFP 10/25/12 - Two heartbeats on the U/S!

Twin Girls! C (6/24/13) and E (6/24/13-5/20/15)

Surprise BFP! 10/23/16, EDD 7/2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I flew to the Caribbean when I was 8 months pregnant for our babymoon - but I travel a lot and didn't think much about it at the time. My husband had it on the record that he did not think it was a wise decision - but he went along with me as I was going with or without him.  If you go, take the advice above about walking around, water, compression stockings etc. - my feet were elephant feet when I landed and took 2 days to go down...  It was straight out of an alien movie especially since one foot was larger than the other.

We got upgraded to first class because I was so large - so not a bad perk!

So, assuming you are not high risk and are okay with going into labor where you are (hospital within reasonable distance of destination), I don't see why not.  My husband was overly concerned about delivering a baby in a third world country, but heck that's where I was delivered!  No big deal!
  • Options
    I flew from North Dakota to New Mexico and back when I was 35 weeks pregnant with my son. My doctor okay'd it as long as I was comfortable. Not sure why your doctor would say no because usually they don't have any issues unless you are high risk or about to give birth. I wouldn't cancel your trip. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    I think it depends on how your pregnancy goes. Honestly you will have to wait to make that decision.
  • Options
    I flew at 28weeks, but a much shorter flight. My OB said it was fine, had no concerns. 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

• Options
    It will be domestic, to Scottsdale, so close to a big city. My first pregnancy had no complications, I'm not high risk for anything. My OB says that's the general recommendation. She's only met me once. I also like to be 'better safe than sorry' but I also think 28 is a bit overkill as a cutoff. I was leaning towards going and needed to hear some opinions. Thanks! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    plumpous said:
    It will be domestic, to Scottsdale, so close to a big city. My first pregnancy had no complications, I'm not high risk for anything. My OB says that's the general recommendation. She's only met me once. I also like to be 'better safe than sorry' but I also think 28 is a bit overkill as a cutoff. I was leaning towards going and needed to hear some opinions. Thanks! 
    I fly a ton. Last pregnancy I think we hit 5 countries (2 transatlantic trips) and I flew as late as 8 months - my doctor just provided me a note so the airline would let me on. I am flying transatlantically tomorrow at 10 +5. My doctors have never discouraged it. 

Based on the above details you posted, if it were me, I would not be skipping that trip unless a complication arose. If you're a person uneasy with flying and needed an excuse not to go, sure. But if you're healthy and want to go on the trip, I see no reason why not. I'm not a doctor/your doctor, Just my $0.02.

Hope you get to go and have a great time!
  • Options
    I flew at 26 and almost 27 weeks with my twins and my OB had no issues with it, you just want to stay hydrated and prevent swelling. The airport employees were super helpful and when they saw I pregnant! (I probably looked way bigger since it was twins)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I would go and know a ton of people that have flown past 28 weeks with no issues.  
  • Options
    Sure! Even more so if it was to somewhere relaxing!! Lol 
  • Options
    ECarson84ECarson84 member
    edited December 2016
    I flew to Belize from IL around 26 weeks with DS with Dr. approval. it involved three planes to make it to our final destination including a very cramped plane that felt more like a flying overcrowded hotel shuttle for the final 45 minute stretch and I was more than fine. this was all pre-Zika of course. 
  • Options
    Absolutely! I'm planning on flying around 30-32 weeks and I'm not worried. Just make sure you walk around on the plain and drink a lot of water. People were so great when I was traveling while I was pregnant with DS. 
  • Options
    I traveled to Germany at 31 weeks last time. My dr provided me a note clearing me to fly. There were a lot more questions in Berlin trying to fly home than leaving the U.S. 
  • Options
    I flew at 37 weeks with a note from my doctor because there was a death in the family. Im plnning to fly to visit my sisters in Texas at 25 weeks.
    Jenn, mama to Big K (6/05) and Little K (5/07) and stepmama to Midde K (11/05)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I flew at 26 weeks and was fine! It was out of the country so I did research OBs through the US consulate that had a practice in Costa Rica just in case I needed a doctor. It was a great trip and I was so glad I went. The only inconvenience I remember is my ankles got HUGE after the flight. 
  • Options
    I plan to travel in my 7th month. Apparently its okay up to 36 weeks, as long as your pregnancy is healthy and not high-risk.

Make sure you have good travel insurance if you are heading abroad.

On the bright side, if you give birth on a flight, the baby gets hundreds of thousands of free miles. 
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/08/health/baby-born-on-plane-air-miles-trnd/
  • Options
    I flew at 26 weeks and was fine! It was out of the country so I did research OBs through the US consulate that had a practice in Costa Rica just in case I needed a doctor. It was a great trip and I was so glad I went. The only inconvenience I remember is my ankles got HUGE after the flight. 
    Yeah; I definitely recommend compression socks for flights of any duration while pregnant.  They're not flattering, but they really do help.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'd go in a heartbeat if it were to a relaxation spot.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker