August 2017 Moms
Options

losing weight

I'm five weeks today. Several days before my unexpected BFP, I went dairy free and caffeine free (no more Starbucks :( )...and I've continued to stay that way during this pregnancy so far. (It's to decrease my acne, by the way). So between no dairy, no coffee drinks, eating healthier...lots of veggies and fruits, lean protein, whole grains, nuts, limiting sugar.. and increasing my water intake, I've lost 3.5lbs in 2 weeks. Do you think weight loss is safe??
My plan was to limit my weight gain this time anyway, because I started this pregnancy overweight at 150lbs and 5'3". 

Re: losing weight

• Options
    edited December 2016
    As long as you're not purposefully restricting calories or skipping meals then you are fine.   Lots of women lose weight in their first trimester due to morning sickness/food aversions.   
    ETA: since you are going dairy free I would suggest talking to your OB about possibly taking a calcium supplement.   Lots of women end up with calcium deficiency during pregnancy 
  • Options
    I have been drinking a couple glasses of coconut milk that has 45% calcium in it. But yes I will mention it 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i would almost guarantee the weight loss is just water weight. I'm sure a little has to do with the no dairy but you mentioned increased water so that's why I'm leaning toward that. Just be sure you aren't falling below 1200 calories a day. If you are active 1500 is bare minimum. MyFitnessPal is awesome app to help you keep track
  • Options
    Agreed! As long as you are eating enough nutrients and calories you should be fine. I lost 20lbs last pregnancy due to nausea. I had the weight to loose. Dr watched closely, was never concerned and baby was healthy.