June 2017 Moms

Constipation vs. Diarrhea - Stool softeners? TMI Ahead

I know we have discussed constipation... but I am wondering if any of the rest of you are having similar issues as I am...

Since around week 6, I have had consistent diarrhea whenever I have had to do #2 in the rest room.  According to Dr. Google this is pretty typical in pregnancy.  Now, I am constipated, with inconsistent diarrhea.  I was constipated my last pregnancy and stool softeners worked wonders for me.  I am wondering if I take stool softeners now for constipation if the diarrhea will come back??  

Have any of you dealt with this?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Constipation vs. Diarrhea - Stool softeners? TMI Ahead

• I have this problem as well and the doctor also said it was typical and to up my colase to 4 a day and take them through out the day rather than all at one time. I was also told you up my water intake as this could be causing the problem as well...I hope this helps even a little  
    Me: 22 DH: 27
    BFP: 9/29 
  • I have IBS-D so I'm generally, when not pregnant, very prone to having diarrhea when I eat/drink the wrong thing or I'm stressed or pretty much anything that sets off the IBS. I've been constipated 2-3 times in my entire life, ya know, before pregnancy. For me during those 2-3 times I was constipated if I took anything for it like a mild laxative like Miralax or a stool softener like Colace I'd get really bad intestinal cramping and diarrhea. That's really my only experience with "normally have diarrhea but now constipated" and based off that alone I'd say to be careful with whatever you take. You may want to take a half-dose or something at first to see how your body handles it and work up from there if you tolerate it well.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I go from diarreah one day and constipated the next. No advice here but I know how much it sucks!