December 2016 Moms
Options

Induction- what to expect?

I'm a STM who went into labor naturally the first time, but because of gestational diabetes, my OB wants to induce me next Tuesday if I don't go into labor on my own.  What can I expect?  Is it more painful than if you go into labor naturally?  Any advice is welcome!

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

Re: Induction- what to expect?

• Options
    Supposedly a lot of its success can depend on your bishop score? So knowing that might help you with your expectations....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like there's no real conclusive answer to this question. I know women who have had incredible inductions and others who hate them. 
    Pitocin is known to increase intensity of contractions, so I think that's one thing you should bear in mind for sure. 

FX things go smoothly!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have an induction scheduled for Wednesday, 12/14, 1 day after you! We'll kinda be in this together! I'm definitely scared, but ready for my little dude to be out. :)
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    *lurking from Nov 16*

I was induced + epidural with DS1 and had DS2 naturally without pain meds, so I have a viewpoint from both sides. 
    Induction was significantly worse intensity and pain-wise (prior to epidural) and pushing was harder (because I had the epidural). For me, there was no "build up" of contractions, they were super strong right away. 
    I was admitted in the afternoon and had cervadil (cervix ripening medication) administrated overnight - it's a vaginal insertion. Pitocin was started around 6:20 AM and my contractions were intense by 8. Baby was born @ 3:15 PM. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I too am being induced on 12/13. Ill be just past 37 weeks and am being induced due to preeclampsia. This is my first baby and I really want to do this with no pain meds. I have no idea what to expect either!
  • Options
    induction date set for me as well on 12/13 at 41+5 :( really hoping to go on my own before that but baby girl is being stubborn (she must get that from her father ;) lol )
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I just had my little boy via induction because my water broke before I was in active labor. They started me on cytotec and gave me two doses of that before they told me they had to start me on pitocin given that it had been close to 24 hours since my water had broken. They gave me the lowest dose possible so contractions didn't intensify super rapidly. Within a few hours they had gotten extremely intense, but my cervix was behind. When they told me I was only 4 cm I got the epidural so I could have a break and sleep. At that point it had been about 30 hours since my water had broken and I had slept only about 2-3 hours in the previous 2.5 days. Things went smoothly from there. Had I not been exhausted I think it's possible I could have made it through without the epidural, but that just wasn't the hand I was dealt.

For those wanting a natural birth, I think it depends on a couple things. First, get as much sleep as you can the night before. Seriously. Second, talk to your birth team about how fast they'll be ramping things up. It will be much easier on you if they're committed to taking things slowly rather than sticking to some sort of preset schedule.
  • Options
    I was induced at 42 +3 with my DS. When the pitocin started I had not dilated beyond a 1 and was barely effaced at all. I had over 30 hours of intense labor because my body was fighting the pitocin as it was not ready to go into labor. On the flip side I know that there are people who have a favorable cervix and induction is no harder or longer than your "typical" labor of about 12-14 hours. Best of luck! 

• Options
    happygirl1013happygirl1013 member
    edited December 2016
    R0824H 
    MsCorrah 
    silverfrost 
    looks like we are all in the same boat.  While I really hope each of us go into labor on our own without an induction, I'll be thinking about each of you on your induction dates and sending prayers for an easy delivery.  Please do keep me posted!

Thanks ladies for all of the insights.  What you've said sounds pretty consistent with Dr. Google (which I really tried to avoid but couldn't help myself).  I'm just going to try to go into the induction as rested and relaxed as possible with a positive mind set.  Nothing else I can really do it seems.

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
    IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
    FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

• Options
    Both of my.boys were born via induction...
    Ds1 was a week late, took 14 hours after being admitted for him to pop out. First, I had to have the Foley bulb 12am-3am, pitocin was started at 4am and my water broken by the doctor at 5. Got my pain meds (not epidural) at about 9 and the epidural around 12- he was here at 2:00pm - I pushed for 20 minutes.  

and ds2 was an elective induction (my brother was leaving for the Marines in three days), took 8 hours after being admitted. my iv and pitocin were started at 8am, water broken by doctor at 11, opted for epidural at 12:30 and he was born at 3:48 with a push and a half. 

Each pregnancy and labor are different. I feel like I was extremely lucky to have fairly easy labors. Granted, I've never gone into labor on my own, but I like knowing when I'm having my babies and that everything is planned. 
  • Options
    @MommaTake2 were you dilated much prior to receiving the Foley bulb? was it painful or just uncomfortable? could you walk around with it? @jptrumptone and I are wondering about it (she posted in the overdue club thread)
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015

• Options
    When I received the Foley bulb, I was 6 days past my due date and only half a centimeter dilated. It wasn't painful, but uncomfortable and I was still able to walk around. It took about three hours to get from .5 to 3 cm when my bulb fell out. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply @MommaTake2 !
    i hope it works that fast for me! :)
    TT#1 July 2015