August 2017 Moms
Options

Pregnancy/Birthing Preferences

What kind of mom are you? What type of birth would you like for this pregnancy? Spell it out, ask questions to others, have fun learning about different births and ways to parent.

**Note this is not a post to attack each other for differences and different choices. Some of us will be science and medicine and others will be crunchy granola. Any way you parent, treat your body while pregnant or want to birth your baby is right for you.**

Re: Pregnancy/Birthing Preferences

• Options
    I am a pretty crunchy momma! I avoid medications while I'm pregnant (and most of the time when I'm not), I use food and EOs to help heal my body, I exercise and try and keep myself in keen shape to feed and nurture my baby with my body. My last birth was the same while pregnant, I did everything correctly and had a whole bunch of awful pregnancy symptoms. Prenatal massages and wrapping my belly for support were literally my only saving graces. I ended up with GD and a very aggressive doctor experience that ended in CS. After I had PTSD related to my birth and PPA and ended up seeing a therapist. Honestly, seeing a therapist when your life changes drastically just to check yourself is a HUGE amazing thing. And PTSD and PPA are never talked about like PPD so know the signs. (end rant)

This time I know more about my rights and more about my body and babies and trust that. I am going to be investigating my options for a home birth this time around. My DH is a lot more science and medicine so he is the one that is going to have to have the backing information to try something less conventional. We are looking at midwives and interviewing our first group tomorrow. Our state law does not allow VBAC in a birthing center so I will have to be at home or with a midwife that is privileged at a local hospital. We do have a back up plan for a local OBGYN that is pro VBAC and believes women know their bodies and babies know what to do. If we end up with GD again requiring a medical intervention in any way I will be transferred to him if interviews go as planned. 

I am a huge car seat safety mom, I am big on BFing and extended BF, I love making my own baby foods but BLW is magic and amazing! I babywear everywhere, I cloth diaper, I jog with my stroller and believe reading is one of the most important things to do with children. We are huge on swimming at an early age and learning survival. We limit electronics and try to get outside often. 

Just kind of how I parent and what I am hoping with #2 if this baby is sticky :smiley:
  • Options
    I'm so much more laid back than I thought I would be with my DS. I'm so anxiety ridden and OCD I was shocked and still am shocked how laid back I am. But I believe that kids will make mistakes and then he won't do it again. For example, we never put child proof locks on our cabinets when he was a baby. He smashed his finger once and he even to this day as a 3 yo doesn't open those cabinets. 
    I had a relatively easy pregnancy and started having high BP towards the end. So my Dr induced me on my due date. I was doing well, dilated to an 8cm and then went backwards to 5cm. Baby was coming down my birth canal to the side and made my cervix swell. So off to a c-section. Recovery was no biggie. Since VBAC's are not allowed in my state I'll be going for a repeat C. But my Dr tends to take them at 39 weeks. I'd rather wait until I'm 40 weeks just to make sure they are fully cooked!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think this post is really hard and premature for a lot of ladies to answer.  Many on here have no clue what kind of mom they will be (especially since it changes once you have a LO in your arms) and I know with my first pregnancy, I didn't know what my pregnancy options even were yet.  

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I think this is a great question, especially for those that have no idea. It creates a place where different opinions and stories can be displayed. We are all so different and that's wonderful! Now I am all about the epidural :smiley: 

For someone who has a fair amount of general anxiety, pain management helped me to really enjoy my birthing. I did have some complications the first time, at no fault of anything except pure bad luck, but my second one worked beautifully and she was born shortly after. I had those that tried to make me feel less than for accepting pain management but really in the end, it's not about anyone else.  It's about your own experience . 
  • Options
    I had a rough 1st pregnancy, subchorionic hemorrhage about a week and a half after BFP, which apparently is common, but you bleed, and it scares you. It resolved. At 9 weeks I was rear ended and that was scary.  Horrible morning sickness. Migraine that lasted 4 days at the end of my first trimester that wound me up in the ER for dehydration because I was throwing up so much.  Irritable uterus with bleeding around 30-32 weeks.  Little turkey flipped to breech at 37 weeks. Had a c section at 39+2. Recovery was awesome, I can't even see my scar 17 months later.  My obstetrician is amazing and I have followed her to a new practice.  They don't allow VBACS there so it'll be another scheduled c section.  DS was a big baby at 9 pounds 5 ounces and 22.5 inches long so I'm good with another c section.  I did have PPA but I'm doing much better now.  
  • Options
    JCPSand2BJCPSand2B member
    edited December 2016
    I'm pretty sure I am going for a scheduled C-Section this time around. Had an emergency C-section with our daughter due to a true knot in her umbilical cord. Recovery was a breeze, so fingers crossed I get that lucky again. I knew way before baby girl was even a thought in our mind that I was getting the epidural. And no one could make me feel bad about that. 

Despite having anxiety, I think I'm a pretty relaxed parent. Which is probably partially due to survival mode from having a wild child. She has no fear, walked early, talked early and has had an opinion from early on.  It was relax or drive myself crazy! 

Fingers crossed a crazy toddler and a newborn won't push me over the edge and anxiety can stay under control. 
  • Options
    I'm a pretty crunchy mom but I try not to overthink things.  I babywear, BLW, full term breastfeed, ERF, cloth diaper, co-sleep, etc.   But, I'm not what I would call an "attachment parent" exactly.  I let my kids learn how to problem solve and self soothe (at an appropriate age of course) and don't rush to them for every scrape, bump, or bruise. 

With regards to pregnancy, I abide by the "trust my body, trust my instincts".   This is now my 3rd pregnancy, so of course, I'm a lot more laid back.  I eat lunch meat, drink an occasional glass of wine, and pick up my 32lb 4 year old, and I'm still BFing my 17 month old.  

Birth---  With my first, my water broke at 41 weeks and I was very ill prepared for what to expect in labor.  I ended up with an epidural at 4cm.  I labored for 15 hours total. I pushed for 3 hours, needed forceps, and ended up with a nasty 4th degree tear.   The recovery was hell and I only lasted 2 weeks breastfeeding due to that and lack of a support system. 

With my second... my contractions started at 3:30am.  I delivered my daughter via an unmedicated water birth (with midwives at a hospital) 4 hours later after 8 minutes of pushing and one tiny 1st degree tear.   Recovery was a breeze. lol.  

I would love a home birth for this one, but DH is not on board, so I'll be going the route of baby #2 again, God willing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Wife. Mom. Doula. Photographer.
    BFP #1- 12/26/2011-  DS Born 9/7/12
    BFP#2- 10/16/2014- DD Born 7/2/15
    SURPRISE! BFP#3- 11/29/16-  EDD 8/6/17
    Formerly MrsAB1316

• Options
    Epidurals are my friend. That's all I have to say about that. :-)
  • Options
    I'll probably have a repeat c section. With my 1st, I labored so easily (labor contractions never felt very painful to me) but still got an epidural around 5cm because who wants pain? My water broke at home so they put me on pitocin as soon as I got in my delivery room. After 12 hours of chillin (lol) I was at 9cm and they were setting up for me to push. Well... I stayed at 9cm for 7+ hours and my baby hadn't dropped a bit. They kept upping all my meds and I was getting really miserable. Doc came in and said it didn't look like baby was going to come, so c section it was... My recovery was awful. Had to go in and have a needle stuck through my incision bc it was infected, my wound didn't close til after 12 weeks. It still hurts! Since I didn't recover well and didn't wait the recommended year after her birth for it to recover, I'm betting they'll want a repeat c section. Frankly, I don't feel like going through labor for no reason again. So I'm ok with it and hoping the recovery goes smoother this time.
  • Options
    We had a home birth planned all through my last pregnancy. Fully onboard. We wound up having to have the baby in the hospital due to high bp (not preeclampsia) and I had a seizure 5 days pp with my first. Unfortunately we will probably have to plan for a hospital birth. I did natural with my dd and plan for natural this go around. 

I wouldnt say im crunchy, but I love BW, BLW, and I try to breastfeed but struggle with supply. I don't take meds if I can help it.