March 2017 Moms
Options

Week 12/5 Ask a STM

Ask all and any questions of our wonderful Second, third and fourth time moms, who are so kind and patient to share their experiences.

Re: Week 12/5 Ask a STM

• Options
    What are pros and cons of the different breast pump brands?
  • Options
    I've only used Medela, but I like it because it has a let-down cycle when you first turn it on. It sucks fast for 2 minutes or until you've let down and you can hit a button and it switches to a slower sucking. I also like that it's just one knob from low to high. Some pumps you have to adjust the speed and the intensity.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like those options on the Medela too but this time I'm going with the Spectra bc I heard it's amazing at getting more milk out.
  • Options
    @disneybaby84 I can only speak on my experience with the Medela PISA since that is the only one I've used. I pretty much exclusively pumped until my supply waned after the first few months. The medela, in my experience was very rough and painful on my nipples even at it's lowest setting. I'm not sure if that was because I didn't have a great supply to begin with or if it felt rough because of tender nipples from trying to breastfeed unsuccessfully with DD but after doing some good research this time I will be going with the spectra. as I have heard very good things about it mimicking a baby's sucking pretty closely as well as having the letdown mode. and hopefully I'll have better success BFing this time around as well.
  • Options
    I found this article comparing the Medela and Spectra. I think I'm going to try to get a Spectra next year.
    https://thepumpingmommy.com/spectra-vs-medela-pump-how-do-they-stack-up

• Options
    FTM so I can't speak from experience, but I opted for the Spectra over Medela based on the fact that it is a "closed system," which was ultimately more important to me than anything else. There are one or two Medela's that offer that feature, but they're not standard and I got mine through my insurance. 
  • Options
    Anyone heard of the Laniosh smart pump? Supposedly it has bluetooth and connects to an app on your phonre that has data of how much milk pumped, how much eaten and number of dirty diapers.
  • Options
    I used a Spectra S2, Medela Symphony (hospital grade), and one other Medela. The Spectra was by far the best. So good that I actually bought a second one out of pocket (one for home, one for work). Everyone I know who has made the switch to Spectra has been so happy. Plus, there is a company called Maymom that sells Spectra adapters through Amazon that allow you to use Medela bottles.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used the Hygeia Q last go round and I liked it. It had great suction and is also a closed system like the Spectra. It's also the only breast pump brand that's recommended by the Le Leche League. I would use the pump again, but a piece broke off where the tubing connects and I can no longer get a tight seal for optimal suction. I'm going with the Spectra this time since there's no chance of a piece being broken off of that system. To answer your original question @disneybaby84 the pros and cons to look for when researching different brands are suction, whether or not it's a dual pump, compatibility with certain bottles if that matters to you, closed vs non-closed system, and accessories. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. 
  • Options
    Medela are nice because they have a s***-ton of accessoriesyou can but with them. However they are not a closed syatem, so you've gotta open up the pump periodically to clean it. 

I've heard great things about the Spectra, so I'm trying that brand this go round. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone heard of the Laniosh smart pump? Supposedly it has bluetooth and connects to an app on your phonre that has data of how much milk pumped, how much eaten and number of dirty diapers.
    Sort of cool, but seems in that category of not really necessary. I mean, I kept track of feedings and diapers just in a notepad app on my phone...you really only need to track that kind of stuff  for a little while after baby is born and then you kinda get into a rhythm. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've used both Medela and Avent. It seems that Medela is the most popular, just anecdotally speaking. The Avent was really nice because all you had to do was add an Avent nipple to it and it was instant bottle/sippy cup/whathaveyou but in my experience it leaked. Avent was half the price of Medela though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there are any good feeding tracking apps out there? 
  • Options
    I used one called MammaBaby for my last. It tracks, feedings including times and which side, diapers, sleeping, and growth. It was very handy for pediatrician appointments because it gave totals of wet and poopy diapers.

• Options
    I used Baby Connect and loved it. Similar to the one @DrillSergeantCat mentioned -  you can track feeding (bottle and nursing), diapers, sleep, milestones, info from doctors. Loved it with DS, I'll be using it again.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    I am slowly immersing myself in the world of items I didn't think or know I would need but probably should be educated on... At this point DH and I are discussing me staying at home the first 6 months or so (at least). Would it be beneficial to get an electric pump if this is the case or would a manual one suffice? I do plan to BF, as long as I am able to...
  • Options
    KateM said:
    I am slowly immersing myself in the world of items I didn't think or know I would need but probably should be educated on... At this point DH and I are discussing me staying at home the first 6 months or so (at least). Would it be beneficial to get an electric pump if this is the case or would a manual one suffice? I do plan to BF, as long as I am able to...
    Electric!

• Options
    Any STMs have tattoos on their stomach/hip area? I have one on each side kinda below my bump, wondering if they'll be permanently stretched out/weird looking after my belly gets to full capacity lol not something I ever thought about in my early 20s when I got them... 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have one on my hip, sounds like where yours is. Mine went back to normal. It's also an 18 year old, seat of my pants tattoo that I honestly forget is there most of the time haha
  • Options
    I have one on my lower belly on the left side and unfortunately I have stretch marks that went through it and hasn't looked the same since birth. Definitely didn't think about that when I got it at 19.  :|
  • Options
    KateM said:
    Second pp on electric. I never managed to get much with a manual pump. It hurts your hand after awhile. I found actually get more just have expressing. Its nice to be able to start building up a milk stash. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KateM said:
    Might as well get your electric one if it's covered by insurance. Even if you don't end up using it.  (I never did) And, The hospital lactation consultant gave me a manual pump in my to go bag of the numerous things when leaving the hospital. I personally did like using it-but exclusively BF because DD never accepted a bottle, so it was just to get a small amount here or there for formula or to mix with mashed foods as she was older.
  • Options
    I hear a lot of you talking about getting a different pump this time around. Does your insurance cover one for each birth? I was under the impression I would only get one period. I had a medala for my son and liked it but now it's been in my basement for a while and I worry about it being an open system. 
  • Options
    @jazzyma14 My insurance said they will only supply a pump new every 3 years so they sent me replacement kit with tubing , membranes etc . There is a user friendly video online for easy cleaning of your used pump. I tried to take really good care of mine with my daughter so I hope it still runs ok this time around! 
  • Options
    @jazzyma14 It really depends on your insurance. I have BCBS and my plan will cover one per pregnancy- up to 2 a year. God help me if I'm ever pregnant twice in one year! LOL
  • Options
    @jazzyma14 Mine covers one per pregnancy. Maybe place a call to your insurance company to find out their specific policy. 
  • Options
    @dizzymom it's not that bad.

I think mine said one a year. I'll have to verify.