December 2016 Moms

Weekly Appointments 12/5

Re: Weekly Appointments 12/5

• -Massage with my doula on Friday - had one last Friday and it was one of the best massages I've ever had period. So excited. I'll schedule one for Wednesday next week then too.
    -39 week appointment Friday. Should be short and sweet. Baby girl is moving well and I'm feeling 'good' so I don't have any concerns.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Michael has his 1st visit to the pediatrician Wednesday! Since it is also DD's pediatrician, our doc is so excited to meet him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope you don't mind @cayaylonglegs ... I figured you might have some baby snugs to tend to...
  • TB cut off my last post womp. 

Just got another call from the office in regards to my cholestasis results. 
    The OB spoke with the fetal-something-or-other (the technical name, of course) and they decided to start me on meds today. I had a regular appt scheduled for tomorrow afternoon that they are now bumping to tomorrow morning as a NST. They are changing all of my appts from here on out to NSTs and I will have a consult and US at the hospital where they will potentially discuss bumping up the delivery date depending on how my liver enzymes are looking. 

So, for now we are in a bit of a limbo. 
  • @slartybartfast jealous of your massages! I've heard that doula massages can work magic on back pain
  • 7:30 am weekly check up with my primary OB tomorrow (37+6). Likely will be a cervix check since the other OB started that last week when she did my GBS test swab. Hoping for progression, all weekend I was getting lightening pains and hip pains. Got the call today that my GBS test came back negative, so that's a plus.

Then I have a counseling appointment on Thursday with my new counselor. I met with her last week and I liked her much better than the PhD that said "well if you already love your baby, you likely won't have PPD." This counselor recognizes my concerns regarding PPD and PPA. All last session we discussed my anxiety and how I can start communicating with those around me that heighten my anxiety so that I can better express why I have the need to write down lists upon lists and letters regarding boundaries.
  • Had my 40 week appt today at 40 +2. Tried to do cervix check and possibly sweep but she said my cervix was so high she couldn't even get to it, but definitely soft. I don't know what that means and didn't think to ask til after...high like that's jus my body, or high like that indicates something about labor/dilation. Anyone know?

I am going back Friday for an NST/AFI/US. Full afternoon!

A little inappropriate but funny...my hubs asked about the cervical check and I was like yeah, she tried, but couldn't reach my cervix. His response: So basically you just got fingered by an old lady?

Sure. That's what happened. Lol
  • @AbriannaO so glad you're feeling comfortable with this counselor. Starting the conversation about PPD/PPA early is so important. I didn't even know what PPA was until after I had my daughter, but once I understood it, it validated why I was having the anxiety I did months before I even went into labor that carried out for over a year after she was born. Transparency is key, so that's awesome that you're choosing to be proactive. 
  • Had my 36 week ultrasound this morning! Except I'm 37+2, but who's counting. ;) this was rescheduled from Friday because the OB decided to go out of town. She called in this morning too and cancelled her appointments for today (angry face) but they went ahead and got me in for the ultrasound anyways. Baby girl is looking good and measuring right on track! I have to go back Friday for the OB appointment. Unless she cancels again, because that's cool and everything. 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• @Christinaruth74, I am so glad I felt more comfortable with this one than the last one. The first one I saw had me leaving her office so mad from her lack of trying. This new one believes that between her, myself, and my medical providers that we will be able to take care of anything that may occur regarding PP issues. I have been working with my anxiety for years, but very few people I've spoken to have given me positive feedback on how to address it. After our session last week I called my mom (whom I love greatly, but she is a big stressor to me and often increases my anxiety) and discussed what I learned. I finally felt like I could calmly tell her some of the things that she has been doing throughout my pregnancy that has increased my anxiety and how, while I need to work on why it bothers me, that I am hoping that she can also work on how she approaches these things to help reduce my stress and anxiety while I am learning on how to handle it. Now if only I could talk to my MIL that way.
  • Boring midwife appointment today, with the added excitement of the GBS swab! Luckily she lets her clients do it themselves. This is the first of my weekly appointments, though, and next week she's doing the home visit. Crap is starting to get reeeeeal.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I have an OB appt tomorrow morning, I'll be 37w + 5d.  I had some sudden, more severe swelling in my feet/ankles last Thursday so they fit me in to see what was going on.  My BP was 134/90 so they ran pre-eclampsia bloodwork and checked my urine for protein to be cautious.  After finding trace amounts they had me do the 24 hour collection and continue to check my BP over the weekend.  Over the weekend while I was laying around my house my BP was back to normal, but when I went to work or had running around to do it crept back up.  Today I'm a little swollen at work, but my BP is normal....so who knows what to expect!  I'm just hoping to get some kind of answer tomorrow.  

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• SaraRose83SaraRose83 member
    edited December 2016
    Had my 40 week today, on my due date. I still have 12 more hours being pregnant to go before I'm technically late, but the doc I got at the appt today is very rulesy and pushy and wanted to schedule me at exactly 41 weeks for an induction. And I'm a FTM - the average is like past 41 weeks!

I said I didn't want to schedule an induction at all, but if I have no choice we can schedule it after my check up again next week - and I scheduled the check up with the more lenient doctor I like. She said I'm only .5 more dilated now - but still better than last week! And the baby has been engaged for about a month now. I think chances are I'll have her this week or early next week but geez, I feel the pressure. 

Oh, and I had the membrane strip, thinking that might lessen my odds for an induction (by only 50%, but still) and it actually didn't hurt that bad for me, if that helps anyone. I mean, it did hurt, but it lasted less than 20 seconds so it was very bearable. I've had gyno appointments to check yeast infections that have hurt way worse. I do think my vagina closed up immediately on her fingers though. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Had one of my 2x weekly BPPs/NSTs today. 3 of the 4 docs in the office today were over at the hospital delivering babies!! So I didnt get to see anyone, which sucks because my next 2 appointments are with rando docs and I had questions to ask about induction/delivery!!!!

Baby B, for the 2nd NST in a row, was a wild man and refused to be monitored- kinda funny since I feel all the extra monitoring is unnecessary anyways!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Toller They sent me to L&D today because baby refused to be monitored and kept moving away. He passed everything at hospital with flying colors! Brats!

i also feel the monitoring is excessive and just makes me anxious!
  • @LandJ13  to me- that means baby is doing EXCEPTIONALLY well haha! Takes a healthy baby to keep avoiding the monitor like that!! I also had a BPP before that though, so that's what has gotten me off the hook of keeping trying/doing more... a trip to L&D would not be fun!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Toller it definately was not fun. I knew 100% my baby was fine before they even did the NST. All I have is controlled GD and a 35th birthday a week after my due date! I know they play a defensive scheme in today's medicine but would prefer the less is more approach!
  • 38 week follow up and BPP tomorrow. Had GBS test last week but my online chart only says "see note" so I'm worried it is positive.  I also need to ask them why it's so difficult to schedule the echocardiogram they want. Hopefully meeting up with my doula right after appt.
  • @christinaruth74 - thank you so much for starting the thread. It was a rough night and I completely spaced!

Me:27   H:30
    Till death do us part: 7.2.2011
    Trying to conceive since 01.2014
    Low AFC and azoospermia
    IVF #1 03.2016 - BFP 03.28.2016
    Due: 12.05.2016

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • penelope4612penelope4612 member
    edited December 2016
    Appt today at 40 + 4.  Had an NST which was normal.  Still only about 2 cm dilated.  Dr did strip my membranes, which caused a really intense contraction in the office, but nothing since then.  Induction tentatively scheduled for Thursday.  Dr is hopeful, said my cervix is "favorable", so I won't need cervadil, and I was having some uterine irritability/small contractions on the NST which she said was a good sign that the uterus should respond to pitocin.  Ideally would like to go into labor before then, but hoping at the very least for a successful induction.  Fingers crossed.
  • 38 week check up this afternoon (at 37+6). OB is on vacation so just saw the NP. BP good. Weight down half a pound but I think last week was inflated because if just eaten a mean right before. Skipped cervix check again. New nurse didn't really like that. She said "but you're 38 weeks...". So? Still not doing it.  :p
  • Appt today at 40 + 4.  Had an NST which was normal.  Still only about 2 cm dilated.  Dr did strip my membranes, which caused a really intense contraction in the office, but nothing since then.  Induction tentatively scheduled for Thursday.  Dr is hopeful, said my cervix is "favorable", so I won't need cervadil, and I was having some uterine irritability/small contractions on the NST which she said was a good sign that the uterus should respond to pitocin.  Ideally would like to go into labor before then, but hoping at the very least for a successful induction.  Fingers crossed.
    Sounds like we are in comparable situations! Had my appt today, 40+2 and only 2cm dilated and 50% thinned. I am scheduled to go tomorrow evening to the hospital to start induction process. I was told it would be an oral pill every 4 hours, of course I can't remember the name of it (anyone know?) to get things moving and could take a couple days. I'm not completely sure why dr is inducing already, though I do have GD diagnosis so that's my only guess. Nervous/excited all at once now! Can't believe it's almost time! 
  • tinattt23 said:
    38 week check up this afternoon (at 37+6). OB is on vacation so just saw the NP. BP good. Weight down half a pound but I think last week was inflated because if just eaten a mean right before. Skipped cervix check again. New nurse didn't really like that. She said "but you're 38 weeks...". So? Still not doing it.  :p
    I'm holding strong against the checks with you! 3rd offer and my 3rd decline today at 38w4d.
  • @cayaylonglegs oh no! Hope all is well and you were able to squeeze in some rest today ❤️
  • Had my 38 week appointment this morning (38+1 today.)  Was hoping I'd hear some good news following my cervical check, but I'm only dilated "about a fingertip."  I am starting to efface, so at least that's something. 

@LandJ13 - I agree with the excessive monitoring.  I too have diet-controlled GD and am nearing my 35th birthday and I've had NSTs done every week since the beginning of November.  Everything has been normal so far.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Had my 37/38 week appointment today (37+6). I've been circulating around the other doctors in the practice to get to meet them, but today I was back with my primary OB. This is the first time that she's seen me since I started measuring ahead around 32 weeks, so she came in with a whole bunch of information regarding what the practice's policy is regarding potentially big babies and at what point they start having discussions with us regarding our wishes (once they start seeing 10 lbs is when they start talking to the parents about choosing between a vaginal birth or a planned c-section). Plus she wanted to discuss with me what the upcoming weeks could be like since at last week's appointment I was 1 cm dilated, 60% effaced, -3 station, with a soft cervix.

During today's exam, I am 2+ cm dilated, still 60% effaced, -2 station, and cervix is still soft. I am technically greater than 2 cm dilated, but not quite 3 cm. Which, it sure felt like she was trying to get that 3 cm...poor cervix, we will be cramping about that all day today. This doctor doesn't like to make predictions like last week's (she guessed I'd be delivering at 38.5 weeks), but this one says she would be surprised if I lasted to my EDD. 

Another growth scan U/S is scheduled on Monday to keep an eye on growth since 2 weeks ago we were in the 82% and 90% range for size. Encouraged to keep walking and to have lots of sex if I am up, which I am, but how to get DH on board (it "feels weird")?!?
  • Had my 39 week appt yesterday (38 + 6).  Cervix at 1cm, finally!  I was beginning to think this baby was never going to come out!  Still have a way to go, but at least I know it is finally starting.
  • @mforinger - you're probably getting induced early due to GD.  I have heard that the placenta sometimes stops working earlier if you have GD or high blood pressure.  I had one friend with GD who got induced at 39 weeks.  I think that's why they do so many NSTs with GD as well - to make sure the baby is doing ok.
  • Had my regular 37 week appointment and an ultrasound to check size because of GD.  BP was elevated, so I went to the hospital for an NST.  I was supposed to start NSTs last week due to my history.  Stayed in L&D for over 3 hours.  Had a hospital pee test (one at office, also), blood test, and then they sent me home.  I have to check my blood pressures regularly now, so as soon as I chug this water and go test my sugar, I have to find my cuff.  :s
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Had my 37 week appointment (37 weeks and 2 days). Heartbeat and bp good. My doctor said I'm "not quite dilated yet", she's head down but not fully engaged. He did a lot of pushing and prodding around on my stomach to see exactly where she was situated. Made my 38 week appointment and that's about it. Pretty uneventful. 
  • I'm just back from my last OB appointment. I'm up to 2 cm and 50% effaced. We look good, but are being induced on Friday (due date) due to my age (38) and history of high blood pressure. My doctor said that I might go into labor on my own before Friday, but otherwise she's being evicted. Only a few more days until I get to meet my little girl!
  • Had my first NST today. Everything looked great and BP was perfect!
    no cervical check today but I was totally ok with that. 
    Tomorrow i go for an US at the hospital, but as of right now I think we are still on board for RCS on the 28th unless something major happens between now and then. 
  • I have my 40 week check tomorrow (really 39+6) and the doctor had mentioned stripping my membranes. Just wanted to hear some other people's experience with this. In particular, how painful was it (I am a huge wimp- cervical checks make me jump off the table), and how long was the actual procedure? I definitely want to do it, assuming she can reach my cervix and it is soft enough and dilated enough to get a finger in there, but I need to mentally prepare. I know success with this inducing labor is very variable and depends mostly on if the baby is ready or not, but feel free to comment on your success or not with the procedure speeding up labor! Final question- I am planning to drive 45 minutes for a dinner with about 25 people straight from my appointment. It's a dinner that I want to go to more than an obligation that I'm looking for an excuse to get out of. If I have my membranes stripped, is the crampiness/discomfort immediate, and is it "stay at home in bed" worthy?  @SaraRose83 your description was very helpful.
  • I have a LC appt. tomorrow, and DS has his 1st ped appt. Thursday, which is with my GP since she does peds and family medicine. I a, happy to be bringing him to someone I know well.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @sarah12 are you driving yourself to this dinner? I would be more concerned about you being uncomfortable and then having a 45 minute drive back home. FTM here so I can't speak to the pain/discomfort associated with membrane sweeping, but I would think you'd have some discomfort afterwards.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• BP a little high again, and just like last week it came down some during the appointment. So no big concerns yet from the NP/midwife but it makes me nervous given my history with DD1. So I am supposed to relax. Baby is in a little better position than last week, still right occiput transverse but head is a little more anterior so I am hopeful I can spin her around. Going to get DH to help me with the miles circuit and if that works tonight we'll make it a daily thing. Forgot to get a weight estimate but baby looks great on BPP!  Also forgot to schedule next week's follow up, so I'm hoping that means baby will come by then- lol 
  • @sarah12 are you driving yourself to this dinner? I would be more concerned about you being uncomfortable and then having a 45 minute drive back home. FTM here so I can't speak to the pain/discomfort associated with membrane sweeping, but I would think you'd have some discomfort afterwards.
    good point. I would be driving myself both ways. That could potentially suck. 
  • Well ladies, had my first false alarm today.  After my cervical check at my scheduled appointment yesterday, I was feeling some discomfort last night but nothing major (just felt like I pulled a muscle.)  Went to work today and as the day progressed, was having a LOT of difficulty moving around, so I called my MD office.  They told me to come back in for a check.  Since yesterday, I am almost fully effaced and went from barely dilated to 3cm, so they sent me off to the hospital as a precaution.  I was at the hospital for about two hours strapped up to the monitor, and while I had some contractions, they weren't regular and didn't dilate me any further, so now I'm back home playing the waiting game.  Hoping Little Miss decides to show up soon because I'm pretty miserable right now!  Trying to move around some to dilate further, but it's really hard when every time you do, you feel like your lady parts are being tightened in a vise grip.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers