February 2017 Moms

GILMORE GIRLS REVIVAL - ***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

13»

Re: GILMORE GIRLS REVIVAL - ***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

• I thought Emily's ending was cute :) And is it just me, or did she (the actress) get TINY?!

I disagree, @MrsDramaK - WE didn't know about Odette but I'm confident Rory did; she didn't even flinch!
  • See I felt like at the lunch when Mitchum shows up and brings up Odette that Rory knew Logan was in a relationship but she didn't know he was engaged to her.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • See I felt like at the lunch when Mitchum shows up and brings up Odette that Rory knew Logan was in a relationship but she didn't know he was engaged to her.
    Yeah, I felt like he knew Logan was seeing other people but did not know he was engaged.  I think she didn't flinch cause she didn't want Mitchum to see her sweat.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Gosh guys, I feel like I finished and thought overall I liked it with some flaws, but everything you point out has me nodding and agreeing. 

+1 to hating the musical
    +1 to the millennial stereotypes
    +1 to Rory knowing that Logan was in a relationship
    +1 to Lorelais elopement last minute being annoying

I can get on board with Emily moving to Martha's Vineyard but not to working in the museum. 
  • I liked how out of character Emily's ending was. I can't imagine being with someone as long as she and Richard were and then having to try and keep living without them. I feel like a change of character is kind of needed in that situation.

Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I liked how out of character Emily's ending was. I can't imagine being with someone as long as she and Richard were and then having to try and keep living without them. I feel like a change of character is kind of needed in that situation.

Me too! I thought it was absolutely hilarious. She was still being herself, but in a new way. It was cool to see the Nantucket Whaling Museum since it's close to home and I have a strange maritime history fascination. 
  • I pretty much agree with what's already been said. I think for most part, we're all on the same page. 

I thought the revival was underwhelming, mostly due to how Rory was written. Ugh, hated her whole storyline.  

It's too bad because I was so excited about it and totally feel let down. I was also looking forward to all the discussions we would be having and now I feel like there's not much to say, lol. 

I'm not saying it was all bad, there was lots of great scenes and I found myself smiling often but it wasn't enough for me to say that I thought the revival was even "good". 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Can we discuss the steampunk dream sequence for a second? That had to have been the most annoying part for me. Those hats? Really?
  • Aww I kind of like the steampunk part. I would totally dress up like that if I could find people who'd do it with me! 
    EDD 11/24/23

• The steampunk sequence really killed the first half of fall for me.  It was way too long.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The steampunk sequence really killed the first half of fall for me.  It was way too long.
    Same. It was cute but just too much. It could be because I was stressed the whole time watching thinking that time is limited and they needed to hurry up to cover everything I wanted to see. 

Thinking back, a lot of time was spent on the surrogacy stuff that ultimately went no where. Kind weird to do all that setup for nothing. I mean, I love everything Paris, but saying they want a baby and then nahh, nevermind at the drop of a hat is kinda unrealistic. 
  • I saw the surrogacy stuff as a way to show that Loreli and Luke were just NOT communicating. It was also that he is happy with status quo and she isnt-- she desperately wants a change, a new challenge.

I liked the steampunk but HATED the musical.
  • I'm so irritated with the cliff hanger! Why would they do this to me?! I agree the baby has to be Logan's, but I'm team Jess, so I'm still holding out hope they'll get together. It seemed pretty clear to me near the end that he's still in love with her when he saw her through the window.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can we discuss the steampunk dream sequence for a second? That had to have been the most annoying part for me. Those hats? Really?
    I was convinced that this was a dream sequence until the very end... I liked it, but it went on WAAAY too long.

I'm so irritated with the cliff hanger! Why would they do this to me?! I agree the baby has to be Logan's, but I'm team Jess, so I'm still holding out hope they'll get together. It seemed pretty clear to me near the end that he's still in love with her when he saw her through the window.

I also didn't like how things were left with Jess. Still hoping they end up together eventually. Also, the surrogacy and musical storylines just seemed like time fillers to me, which is frustrating when you know how little time there is to tell the whole story.

I did have a bit of an "Aha" moment after it ended over Rory's visit to Christopher - it made much more sense after knowing WHY she was grilling him about letting Lorelei raise her as a single parent.

Overall I was happy with the series, but not the cliffhanger ending. Too many loose ends left!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so irritated with the cliff hanger! Why would they do this to me?! I agree the baby has to be Logan's, but I'm team Jess, so I'm still holding out hope they'll get together. It seemed pretty clear to me near the end that he's still in love with her when he saw her through the window.
    But aren't Rory and Jess like step cousins now? I mean I realize that isn't the same thing as a blood cousin but still seems kind of weird to me. I agree though that they want us to think he's still in love with her from the window scene. 
    EDD 11/24/23

But aren't Rory and Jess like step cousins now? I mean I realize that isn't the same thing as a blood cousin but still seems kind of weird to me. I agree though that they want us to think he's still in love with her from the window scene. 

@marriedhamstermom Haha, I guess I'm just immune to the weirdness. My grandma grew up in a small town in Ohio and the street she lived on was (and still is) comprised of entirely her family and one other family. So everyone from the one family basically wound up marrying everyone from the other family. There is no blood relation/incest type thing going on, but it is basically like the Jess and Rory situation times 10.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• Rory was supposed to be 32 correct?  I feel like it would have been a more honest portrayal of her in her 20's just out of college.  Many people flounder initially, but I feel like their 30 something's group was annoying and not accurate.  I had my sh$t together way before then and the majority of my friends did too.  I guess I don't get why the 30 something generation was picked on.  Paris cracked me up, but her laundry list of degrees is just not realistically possible along with a successful company at this point.  (MD- 4 years school, 4 year OB residency, 3 year RE fellowship, JD- 3 year, what else did they say she had???)

• birdiejobirdiejo member
    edited December 2016
    I know I'm so late to this party but I just finished and I have to write down my thoughts! I thought Fall was nearly perfect, so reminiscent of original GG and wonderful in so many ways. I absolutely need more now. I thought the first three episodes were fine, the jokes and bits were a little forced where they used to feel more witty and had a better flow. 

As for Rory , I didn't see it so much as saying 30 something millennial doesn't have her life together. My take on it was the three separate Gilmore girls each dealing with feeling lost and unsure about life and where it was headed and that was just how it manifested for Rory. 

I thought the Wild bit was cute and then I bawled while Lorelai told the story about Richard to Emily on the phone. (Pregnancy hormones?)

I was never sure what team I was on but damn Logan looked good without his shirt on. Definitely Wikipedia'd him to see if he was single (why?) and came up with nothing. 
  • GretchypooGretchypoo member
    edited December 2016
    @homemake I totally cried at the Richard story too!!! Like a big fat baby.
  • I am super late too, but we only finished watching it this weekend. I think overall, I'm just sort of disappointed by the whole thing. I could accept the awkwardness of getting back into the swing of things, and the struggle of Richard's death. But Rory is just an utter hot mess, and I don't get it. Her throwaway relationship, he floundering career, and just general lack of life plan aren't working for me. Now she's pregnant with Logan's baby, and he's still engaged and cheating on the heiress? I feel like they were practically re-writing Christopher and Sherry.

I was very happy with what they did for most of the characters (Dean, Kirk, and Taylor all seemed to be doing well and true to character), but TBH the whole thing left me feeling underwhelmed. 

As for the Luke/Lorelei relationship... I am glad they straightened it out at the end. But, in a lot of ways they played it as if the characters hadn't grown at all in 10 years.

Paris was unsurprisingly one of my favorite parts of the whole thing - she is irrepressible!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • I just finished watching it too and I felt like there were too many start and stop story lines that just kind of fizzled out. It was like they were stretching content. The pool scenes seemed to exist only to body shame people. I would have loved to have seen more of Lane. I am definitely team Jess and the Logan storyline irritated me. I'm also glad they put some things in there showing that Lorelai that kind of brought into focus how spoiled she can be. I don't think it could be the Wookie's baby because of the timeline but I'm wondering if she ended up doing the surrogate thing because she mentioned it and she needed the money.

Most of my employees are pretty much the 30 something gang, just 25-30 instead of in their 30's, so even though that encompasses my own personal age group I thought it was funny.