Re: Symptoms 11/28/16

• @AfKash codeine is a class C drug 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Yeah if you haven't @Afkash I'd talk to your doctor about taking that level of pain medicine. They may have some other suggestions that could help you, or be able to prescribe PT or something like that. There are good reasons for Category C drugs, but it's not something to decide independently.
  • Loading the player...
  • MommaBeanMommaBean member
    edited December 2016
    You know Tylenol is Category C too, right? So is Tums. 

I mean, talk to your doc if you're in that much pain, but just saying re: Cat C. 

ETA: and if it took 3 hours, it was probably not an effect of the codeine. 
  • poofwokpoofwok member
    edited December 2016
    MommaBean said:
    You know Tylenol is Category C too, right? So is Tums. 

I mean, talk to your doc if you're in that much pain, but just saying re: Cat C. 

ETA: and if it took 3 hours, it was probably not an effect of the codeine. 
    Man I pop tums like candy haha 
    +1 on taking at least 3-5 tums a day while being on Zantac too.

I've also taken Tylenol a handful of times due to headaches (mostly in 1st tri) and back pain. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • I think acetaminophen is category B (not a doctor, just read a pregnancy book). Like I said, definitely many good reasons to take Category C drugs, and many that are overcautiously placed in that category (looking at you, Tums), just think any pain that severe needs a doctor visit. 

@MommaBean has good point about codeine though. It acts pretty quickly based on my personal experience taking it. 
  • I've had some pretty painful RLP, but never to the point of requiring medication. I would definitely speak to your doctor about that. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not necessarily a comment about the codeine, but just wanted to mention that the FDA did away with categories last year. Seems like things are a drug by drug basis now?

https://www.drugs.com/pregnancy-categories.html
  • When I broke my nose,  my OB said that codeine is actually the only other drug aside from Tylenol that is safe to use for pain. 
    Also, I was at the hospital this morning to get my rhogam shot and dropped by my OB's office to talk to the nurse about the pain.  She told me there's nothing they can do for RLP. This was a new nurse I've never met before,  and I think she just thought I was exaggerating when I tried explaining to her how I literally couldn't life my foot off the ground, last night.  
    With the UTI and antibiotics I've been trying to drink more water but then I have too pee more often, so it was extremely difficult last night.  She just didn't understand. 
    Anyways,  here I am laid up again tonight.  The pain is not as severe as yesterday but it's too sore. 
    Oh btw, I know it was the codeine that helped because 3 hours was also the time when I finally started feeling groggy (how codeine usually makes me feel). Maybe cuz digestion is slower now,  that's why it took so long? 

• @lfrank12 hang in there girl!  <3
  • +1 to hang in there @lfrank12. The struggle is real, but you're growing a human. Take it easy and relax as much as you can. This too shall pass!
  • @lfrank12 i completely sympathize with you. This week was super rough for me and honestly for no real reason that I can't do all that I usually do. My husband was out of town or at work events most of the week, it rained most of the week, we have a bunch of stairs in our apartment, I went to my ultrasound alone, and Bradley class and doctor's appointment,I had to walk the dogs in the rain, with the stairs, blah blah blah. 

That said when I told my husband I felt really alone this week because he was gone or busy I burst into tears. Again nothing is really wrong it was just very tough to try and do all the stuff that should be super easy and normal. 

Crazy part is, this is only going to intensify when I have another human life to look after. He was very sympathetic and apologized. But it is definitely about to be a different world around here. I guess it's gonna take some getting used to. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • srscott3 said:
    Not necessarily a comment about the codeine, but just wanted to mention that the FDA did away with categories last year. Seems like things are a drug by drug basis now?

https://www.drugs.com/pregnancy-categories.html

SITB

I didn't know this; thanks for sharing!
  • @marriedhamstermom thank you for sharing! I'm on iron for anemia as well, and I'm never sure when to take all my meds. I don't take separate calcium, but the Prenatals has some and I try to eat/drink a lot of calcium due to family history of bone density problems. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Add me to the hip pain/sciatica crap. I got a pregnancy support belt, which is definitely helping. And since I'm lifting 25+ lbs multiple times a day, I have to remind myself to bend with my knees and not my lower back, which has helped a lot. Also, Sara Beth Yoga on youtube has a couple great prenatal videos which have helped some. 

I ALSO have horrid congestion that WILL NOT GO THE EFF AWAY. I'm talking MONTHS. Humidifier doesn't help, Mucinex did nothing, next is Afrin to see if that will help. But I'm over this crap. 
  • Dude, these pregnancy hormones and body aches and shit can go eat a big bag of dicks. 
    What she said. 

I feel you @lfrank12 @heatsparks and @krob. It sucks. 
  • I can totally understand lfrank. I had a complete MELTDOWN Wednesday night. After having Braxton Hicks all day I was supposed to stay off my feet. But with helping out the three kids with homework, shuffling them to yearbook/ballet/cub scouts, all before DH got home i just started bawling at the end of the night when I felt like the house was a mess!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Anyone else see the Pampers preemie diaper commercial? Made me sob. OMG THE TINY BABIES!!
  • Two new symptoms this week: 
    - About two or so hours after getting up for the day, I'm ready for a nap.  Like a full on, two hour nap.  I'm definitely not sleeping well at night and wake up feeling so useless.  On Friday, the doctor said that I could (occasionally) take a Benedryl to try for a solid night's sleep.  
    - My teeth are super sensitive.  My gums are fine, but even the feeling of my lips against my front teeth is bothering me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mlrocha I've never had sensitive teeth like that, but it sounds pretty awful!

I'm not sure this is a symptom, but it just got me today. Right above my left hip bone (if anyone can still find it lol) it hurts. It's hard to explain, it feels like the muscle is permanently being stretched. Like I am trying to stretch but I'm not. Then if I bed over forward, it hurts worse, but more like a pulled muscle or like something blunt is jabbing me right there. It hurt this morning when I woke up, so I'm thinking maybe it's for how I was sleeping, but I really don't know. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 maybe a new kind of RLP?

How weird are the hiccups? I can't ever un-know how it feels to have a tiny person hiccuping into my colon. 
    Maybe, I hope if it's RLP it goes away quick lol

I looooove the hiccups! Plus they are a good chance to let people "feel" the baby move since they usually last a few minutes! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 maybe a new kind of RLP?

How weird are the hiccups? I can't ever un-know how it feels to have a tiny person hiccuping into my colon. 
    Lol! 

• @kswiger06 I think what you are describing reminds me of what I feel after a flare up of RLP. Like after the more intense sharp round ligament pain is felt, I'm left with an achy spot that can be easily aggrevated for a day or two. Its always on my side near my hip.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • +1 to having a hard time not seeing my husband for days at a time. He works graveyard shifts (5:30pm-5 or 6am most Saturday nights and all Sunday-Tuesday), I work days. On weekdays, he leaves for work literally minutes before I get home. And on weekends when I'm home, he sleeps all day. I see him for about 2 hours on weekends before he leaves for work, plus 15 minutes - if I am lucky - on weekdays when I get up in the morning before he goes to bed. It really sucks. At the beginning of the  pregnancy, I would cry every day after he left, or when I got home and he was already gone. He's supposed to be off of graveyards by the end of this month, and that's the only thing keeping me sane.

@AfKash I am surprised you were told there is nothing that can be done to ease RLP - a physical therapist came to my Centering Pregnancy group last month and specifically talked about ways to alleviate it (mainly specific stretches, pregnancy support belt). Can you get a referral to a PT through your OB? And agree w/PPs that if it took 3 hours for the pain to subside after taking codeine, it was not the codeine that helped. By three hours, the effects of the codeine should be beginning to wear off, not just kicking in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kswiger06 I think what you are describing reminds me of what I feel after a flare up of RLP. Like after the more intense sharp round ligament pain is felt, I'm left with an achy spot that can be easily aggrevated for a day or two. Its always on my side near my hip.
    Yikes! I've had sharp pains in my lower abdomen after coughing, sneezing, and rolling over, but not so far over by my hip. I guess I should be glad that this is the only time it has got me over there because it's quite uncomfortable. And it is sore still today, just not as bad as yesterday. I'm sorry you have had it more often. 
    Pregnancy Ticker