June 2017 Moms

HEARTBEAT 174

I had a ultrasounds at 10 weeks the baby's heartbeat was 174. So im wondering how true is it that if you are having a girl heartbeat will be higher than a boys? I know it is a myth but just for fun!!

Re: HEARTBEAT 174

• HB 178, baby is a BOY.
  • Loading the player...
  • Assiram42 said:
    HB 178, baby is a BOY.
    oh shucks!!! I have 3 boys hoping for a girl but as longest baby is healthy it will be ok in the end. 
  • neludelu said:
    It's a 100% right 50% of the time. 
    LOL!!

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • neludelu said:
    It's a 100% right 50% of the time. 
    DEAD. 

I will say that my experience in L&D has shown me that higher rates tend to be girls but that's during delivery and not scientific fact at all.   

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• I know it's an old wives tale but I have one girl and one boy already and it was correct for me. 
  • I have two boys that had high heartbeats. 
  • One of my girls consistently had a high HB, the other was consistently low.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1st baby was 172 @10 weeks and he was a boy. 
    This baby was 178 @8 weeks. We should find out within the next two weeks. 
  • My son was in the 160s and this little girl has been in the 160s. 
  • I'm having a girl and hb has been in the 160s the whole time.
  • This might be the engineer in me...but how does it make any logical sense that a heart between a girl and a boy would beat differently? Especially when they are the same size and in the same condition (adults in better physical condition have lower heart rates). It's fine when this is all for fun like the Chinese gender predictions, etc...but it is concerning when people start actually believing in these tales.
    Me: 28  DH: 30
    Married 5/8/2011
    TTC #1 since 9/2015
    BFP #1 1/14/16, MC 3/23/16
    BFP #2 9/21/2016, EDD 5/30/2017
  • This might be the engineer in me...but how does it make any logical sense that a heart between a girl and a boy would beat differently? Especially when they are the same size and in the same condition (adults in better physical condition have lower heart rates). It's fine when this is all for fun like the Chinese gender predictions, etc...but it is concerning when people start actually believing in these tales.

Yeah this one is especially silly in my opinion...I mean heart rate differs even for the same fetus based on whether it is being active or sleeping, just like it would for an adult human.  So if your scan occurs while the baby happens to be asleep you're more likely to get a lower number.  If your scan happens after you've just drank a large glass of sugary juice, it's more likely to be high.

FWIW, DD's heart rate was high at my 8 week scan, as was this baby's, and it is also a girl.  But my SIL has two boys who also had high heart rates.  Every old wives tale has the exact same level of precision: 50%.  Just like a wild guess.

• I'm assuming it comes from women having a slightly faster resting heart rate than men.  Women typically have smaller hearts that beat a hair faster on average than men.  I still think it's silly to try to apply it to a fetus that's still developing, especially when other factors (like resting or not) are at play, but I'm thinking that might at least be where it came from.
  • 1st baby was 172 @10 weeks and he was a boy. 
    This baby was 178 @8 weeks. We should find out within the next two weeks. 
    Please post here once you find out :)
    I don't believe in this old wives tale, but I believe it stems from female babies being smaller on average and so, their heart rates are faster.
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    edited December 2016

@workingonmynightcheese OOH I haven't checked the Chinese gender chart this time yet!  But it absolutely said Boy last time and was not correct. :-)

EDIT 3 minutes later: yeah that was wrong for me again this time too.

• delujm0 said:
    This might be the engineer in me...but how does it make any logical sense that a heart between a girl and a boy would beat differently? Especially when they are the same size and in the same condition (adults in better physical condition have lower heart rates). It's fine when this is all for fun like the Chinese gender predictions, etc...but it is concerning when people start actually believing in these tales.

Yeah this one is especially silly in my opinion...I mean heart rate differs even for the same fetus based on whether it is being active or sleeping, just like it would for an adult human.  So if your scan occurs while the baby happens to be asleep you're more likely to get a lower number.  If your scan happens after you've just drank a large glass of sugary juice, it's more likely to be high.

FWIW, DD's heart rate was high at my 8 week scan, as was this baby's, and it is also a girl.  But my SIL has two boys who also had high heart rates.  Every old wives tale has the exact same level of precision: 50%.  Just like a wild guess.

Uh...andplusalso the Chinese gender chart said boy for me. Again, they're 100% accurate 50% of the time. :wink:

Im very sure that all this myth's are not 100% accurate that is why i said for FUN!!! 
  • Momofboys said:
    Uh...andplusalso the Chinese gender chart said boy for me. Again, they're 100% accurate 50% of the time. :wink:

Im very sure that all this myth's are not 100% accurate that is why i said for FUN!!! 
    @Momofboys  More precisely, all myths pertaining to sex of the baby are no more than 50% accurate.  I believe the reason you're getting these responses is based on phrasing of the question; "So im wondering how true is it that if you are having a girl heartbeat will be higher than a boys?".  Even if you conclude with "just for fun", you're still asking "how true is it?".  That is what many here are responding to.  I'm guessing you might have seen different responses had you worded it a bit differently.  Perhaps "There is an old wives tale about girls having faster heart rates than boys.  I know that can't predict the baby's sex, but I'm curious to see what others have experienced.  What was the heart rate of your LO and the corresponding sex?".  Just a thought FWIW.
  • Momofboys said:
    delujm0 said:

**snipped**
    I, too, am having fun. Just using sarcasm and kidding around. I didn't mean any offense!
  • Chinese calendar was 100% correct for 50% of my pregnancies. 

So, @neludelu is correct here. 
  • Elyse1384 said:
    The Chinese Gender chart cracks me up as an IVFer.  According to that chart, all my embryos should be the same sex since it is based on conception. I mean... technically all my embryos were conceived at the same time.  Just not transferred at the same time.  Well I've had a boy and a girl from one batch (this LO is from that IVF batch too).    
    You stole the thoughts out of my head! The Chinese gender chart thinks all my embryos are boys :lol: Actually, we ended up with 4 boys and 3 girls :smile:
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Chinese calendar was 100% correct for 50% of my pregnancies. 

So, @neludelu is correct here. 
    Those words are my fave to hear. I wish my husband said them more!
  • For what it's worth, my midwife said if it's a boy, the heartbeat tends to slow down slightly toward the end of pregnancy.

• I don't think the size of the baby determines whether it's a boy/girl and therefore if it has a higher heart rate....I was a 9 1/2 lb. baby. My brother was 8 lbs. So bigger baby does not always mean it'll be a boy.
  • For what it's worth, my midwife said if it's a boy, the heartbeat tends to slow down slightly toward the end of pregnancy.

Makes sense in my experience.  But there is still that phrase "tends to" obviously implying that determining sex via HR isn't accurate.  

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

Makes sense in my experience.  But there is still that phrase "tends to" obviously implying that determining sex via HR isn't accurate.  
    Exactly.