Baby Names

May I have your opinion please? (Letter sound)

AMCsquaredAMCsquared member
edited November 2016 in Baby Names
Hi everyone!

When you see this name: JADIRA.

Do you think it's pronounced with the English J sound or English Y sound? please comment with J or Y.

(The reason I ask this is because I want the name JADIRA with the J sound, but many friends have mentioned that it may be perceived as the Spanish name pronounced with the Y sound. 
If too many people think it's the Y Sound, then I may go with another name so my child won't have to constantly correct people.)

Thanks.
Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017

Re: May I have your opinion please? (Letter sound)

•  I am unfamiliar with this name, and as such given the area I live in would default to a "j" sound. 

If you live in an area that has a high proportion of people who speak Spanish (or even for that matter, many other languages ) ,  then people will probably default to the "y" sound.
  • Odd  or misspelled names will be constantly mispronounced so its really whether you will mind correcting people for the rest of your child's life. 
  • Loading the player...
  • J
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I have never heard this name, but upon reading it read it with a J sound. 
  • J. Not a fan either way. 
  • It's a popular Muslim name I've been in LOVE with for YEARS. I wrote it down on a piece of paper as soon as my husband and I got serious, many years ago.

where I live, most people would default to the J sound . ... but I work in an area with a Spanish population and my friends there assume the Y sound. I'd never have thought of that before.... although Yadira is a popular Spanish name. 

Hence why I'm asking which sound the readers default to.
  • @4N6s it's literally my favorite name in the world 
  • It's a popular Muslim name I've been in LOVE with for YEARS. I wrote it down on a piece of paper as soon as my husband and I got serious, many years ago.

where I live, most people would default to the J sound . ... but I work in an area with a Spanish population and my friends there assume the Y sound. I'd never have thought of that before.... although Yadira is a popular Spanish name. 

Hence why I'm asking which sound the readers default to.
    Again, just be prepared to correct people but that's true with most ethnic names. My name is spelled odd, and my sons name is ethnic, so I speak from experience.
  • Luckily I live in an extremely diverse area! ♡♡
    You should hear the names around here. I'm sometimes stumped when I hear a new one, but I think they are all beautiful.
  • If I could so kindly redirect this thread back to the original "poll" so to speak - which letter sound do you each assume Jadira to begin with?

Thanks all.  :) 
  • I've never heard that name and read it with the J sound.
  • I default to J, but like the sound of it either way.
  • Definitely J. 
  • I grew up in an area with a strong Hispanic culture and presence. even tho I now live in an area that is 98% white, I still see this and think and "yadira". it would be easy for my mind to make the switch, tho, once corrected. I think with this name you will be getting a lot of 'how do you pronounce that?' and a lot of mistakes in pronunciation either way. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • J - I would pronounce it (juh-DEER-uh)
  • emilyalso said:
    J - I would pronounce it (juh-DEER-uh)
    Exactly this ^ that's exactly how I read it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    emilyalso said:
    Exactly this ^ that's exactly how I read it.
    Third this
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • emilyalso said:
    Ditto

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • J. I think it will be frequently mispronounced.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I know a Yadira who is from Mexico, but I don't speak Spanish. But I thought she pronounced her name starting with a "J" sound. Am I wrong??

For your name written with a J, I would assume it sounds like Juh-deer-uh, but again, I don't speak spanish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    edited December 2016
    J

But if you live in an area with many Hispanic people and/or have a Hispanic last name, it might get mispronounced with the Y

I knew a little girl name Janelis who was Hispanic and she often got "yan-EL-iz" when it was supposed to be "jan-EL-iss"
  • Thank you all! I should have posted this as a poll but didn't realize. 
    The results are:
    J sound: 18
    Y sound: 2