January 2017 Moms
Options

due date change?

I had a 32 week ultrasound last week, because my placenta was low at my 20 week ultrasound and I'm at risk for preterm labor. Anyway during the ultrasound the tech said to me that my son was measuring over 2 weeks ahead, but when we got back to see my doctor she said nothing about moving up my due date. I've been told they typically move up your due date if your baby's measuring more than two weeks ahead, but do they do that this late in pregnancy??

Re: due date change?

• Options
    Did you have a dating ultrasound early in your pregnancy? From my understanding, dating ultrasound at around 8 weeks are very accurate because of the rate of cell doubling. So, they base your due date off of that. If you were on track then, you are probably just measuring ahead now because of a big baby. I think changing due dates this late is very rare. 
  • Options
    They moved my due date up at the beginning due to him being a week ahead, which my doctor said they typically didn't do unless a baby measured 2 weeks ahead. So I wasn't sure if they moved it up this late, but it makes sense that he's just big. Thanks 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My "little" guy is also measuring ahead but my due date is the same 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    I've been measuring 2 weeks ahead since my A/S at 20 weeks but they never moved my date. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Like the first comment said, if you were given a due date based off 8 week ultrasound then they probably won't change due date. if you're measuring ahead it's probably a big baby. I know from experience, I measured 2-3 weeks ahead with DS1. he was on the larger side and no they didn't change my due date. he was born 3 days after his due date actually. 
  • Options
    My daughter measured ahead at 30 weeks. She was still induced at almost 41 
  • Options
    Nope. They won't change your due date. Baby is just growing. And US isn't always 100% accurate in terms of sizing. Especially when they get all squished in there, it's hard to get a completely accurate measurement.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • Options
    I did not know that about the 8 week ultrasound. I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks and I was measuring exactly at 9 weeks. At my next ultrasound at 20 weeks, and ever since then, I have been measuring ahead. I wondered if they would change my due date too but they are not! 
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Options
    I actually don't even know my actual due date and I am 35 weeks. It kept changing by a few days after my first two scans but my doctor kept saying we would just leave it at Jan 5. Usually they won't change it this late though because scans are now based on size more than anything and some babies are just big or grow faster than others. 

I was charting so I have quite a bit of confidence in my original due date and I think basing it on ovulation or your cycle is often more accurate than the size of the baby at a scan. 

• Options
    KarliQ88KarliQ88 member
    edited December 2016
    Im measuring 2 weeks behind right now and no due date change either. I was told they go by my 20 week ultrasound because that is the most accurate. At 20 weeks they can see the entire baby and get more accurate measurments. At this point your baby is so squished it's harder to get accurate measurements. But it could be your baby is just bigger. I'm not an expert on this area of course but just what the ultrasoubd tech told me when i had a growth ultrasound at 32 weeks (i was measuring 28 weeks pregnant at that time). I'm now 35 weeks and measuring 33 weeks.