June 2017 Moms

Uncomfortable sleeping

I'm used to being a belly sleeper and haven't  been sleeping on my belly since  finding out. 
I have no bump yet (just made 12 weeks), but can't get comfortable .  When I sleep on my back I eventually turn  to my side. I wake up to sore shoulders. I tried a regular body pillow last night, but that did not work. I ended up throwing it off the bed. I'm wondering  if a pregnancy pillow is worth it this early since I don't even like a regular body pillow.
Any suggestions welcome.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Uncomfortable sleeping

• You need the Snoogle. 

Ive been having trouble sleeping since 5 weeks. Granted I have twins, but the uterus and pelvic discomfort makes it impossible to sleep comfortably without my snoogle. My husband was crushed to see my "boyfriend" in bed so early  :)
  • I second the Snoogle. Last pregnancy, I got one at 4.5 months, and I was like, "Why did I torture myself for so long??" Broke mine out at 11.5 weeks this time.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Loading the player...
  • I find the couch more comfortable than the bed now because I can lean up against something. I can also toss and turn all night and not wake my husband. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @LAMCH1980 I have also resorted to the couch. DH gets a little upset when I'm not in bed in the morning but I argue that I didn't want to wake him up and he's fine. My couch isn't even that comfortable but I think it's the support against my back that I like. 
  • I had to sleep on the couch the last 2 months last time around.  Sleeping on my side produced the worst stabbing pain in my groin, but I couldn't sleep on my back anymore.  So I would position myself so my weight was more on my back but still on my side using the back of the couch as leverage.

Right now I end up on the couch most nights because I have horrible pregnancy insomnia and I wake up at 2:30 most nights.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was a belly sleeper but got a regular body pillow last time for side sleeping.  After a while I got used to it and found it so comfortable that I continued to sleep with it even after pregnancy.  I have low back stiffness and pain, which I think was made worse by the belly sleeping, and using the pillow made it go away (when I wasn't pregnant...with this particular pregnancy the pillow lessens the lower back pain but it is still reasonably unbearable...ugh).  I personally find that a full and firm body pillow is best for side sleeping, as opposed to a really floppy one, but that's all personal preference.

I will offer that while pregnant for some reason, side sleeping would make my lower arm fall asleep after a while, so I'd have to flip sides several times a night.  And then after DD was born, like magic, that never happened again and I was fine on one side all night.  Pregnancy is so weird.

• I am a back sleeper and I'm not sure if it's too early to start not sleeping on your back but I have been trying to sleep on my sides. I am so uncomfortable and toss and turn all night long. My shoulders start hurting and I feel like I have restless leg syndrome. I have a snoogle and all sorts of pillows but it doesn't help at this point. I was super uncomfortable in my last pregnancy too but I don't remember it starting so early... ugh
  • LOL @ " My husband was crushed to see my "boyfriend" in bed so early"
    I love my snoogle right now but I feel bad that hubbie can't cuddle me.  On the plus side, no more pokes in the butt from morning wood hehehe.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • @delujm0 yes to the arm falling asleep!!  The last three nights I've woken up to my arm asleep.  At first I brushed it off.  It's happened before but not normally several nights in a row.  But this morning I woke up thinking, is this a thing now?  And I broke down and bought a Snoogle.  DH's response was 'does that mean I can have your good pillow?'  No.  No it does not.  I get all the pillows and all the blankets!!  MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  But seriously we have two comforters bc I don't mess around when it comes to bedtime. 
  • Glad I'm not the only one experiencing problems - I wasn't sure if it was too early to be having sleep issues! My lower back is so stiff and painful. I'm typically a stomach sleeper but can't really sleep on my stomach anymore because a) my bump is getting bigger and b) my boobs hurt way too much. I don't want to sleep on my back but it's the most comfortable alternative so I usually wind up there after I've fallen asleep. I try for my sides but find it to be horribly uncomfortable. Looks like a Snoogle will be making its way into my bed in the near future....

Since I'm also getting up 2x to pee, that also doesn't help. Most nights I'm able to fall back to sleep pretty quickly, but the last 4 nights I've been awake for an hour after each pee run. 

My hubs is very gracious though, even when I accidentally wake him up when I'm tossing/turning or making a pee run....he just sweetly says "you're going to be a great momma, hang in there." I can only pray I will be!
  • My snoogle and I broke up after my first and never got bad together.  I drool - thanks to mouth breathing - and got totally grossed out by it, even after washing the cover.  I'm not sleeping well at all this time and have thought about getting another snoogle but my kids join us in bed pretty much every night so I bet that would be a waste of $$.  

Making it really cold in the house has helped us (juts need to turn off the heat for the night as I'm in NJ) and I have about three sofa pillows to place in various spots (between legs, under belly, and against back) to make it easier to fall asleep.  My sides also get hella sore and I always wake up on my back, really uncomfortable.  I hate that this is starting so early! 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• As a fellow tummy sleeper, I admit I'm still on my stomach at 10w4d.  I remember knowing last time I had to stop when I could feel my uterus, but so far so good.  Once I cant belly sleep, I'll break out the Snoogle and an extra pillow.  Between those two, I slept decently.
  • I'm a belly sleeper too, but my doctor wasn't too concerned about it. She said I'll stop when it's not comfortable anymore... the worst part right now is waking up with sore boobs!
  • edited November 2016
    Ladies, meet my snoogle:

As a fellow tummy sleeper, this thing has saved my life the last week since it entered my home. I also personally feel that it really completes the look of our bedroom (DH's side of the bed looks so boring in my opinion). Now to figure out how to get it to Disney for our baby moon at the end of January...
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • I had nothing to contribute to this yesterday - but last night I slept like crap. I must have tossed and turned a 100x (ok that's an exaggeration). My back is also been sore all day today. Here's hoping tonight is better. Totally getting a snoogle soon. 
  • After reading that sleeping on your back is worse than your belly, I have been figuring out all kinds of ways to use the snoogie. I am a belly sleeper, and from what I've read, belly sleep is always better than no sleep. right now, I start the night off with the snoogie in sort of a ring shape that I stick my belly on top of an eventually I end up with it kind of proving me up on the right side as I belly sleep. I'm sure it will get more uncomfortable as my belly grows, but as someone who gets up 4x to pee at night, I need all the precious minutes I can get right now. 
  • Fwiw, it is fine to continue to sleep on your belly or back as long as it is comfortable for you.  laying on my belly was uncomfortable for me last time around 16 weeks.  I could lay on my back much longer than that, especially for shorter periods of time.  you will feel uncomfortable and wake up before it's harmful for the baby if you happen to fall asleep on your back.  and this early it's not a concern.

They also say that the left side is better than the right for some reason...please.  I was back and forth every night due to my arm falling asleep.  being pregnant it is hard enough to sleep as is, so any way you can get it, get it.
  • delujm0 said:
    Fwiw, it is fine to continue to sleep on your belly or back as long as it is comfortable for you.  laying on my belly was uncomfortable for me last time around 16 weeks.  I could lay on my back much longer than that, especially for shorter periods of time.  you will feel uncomfortable and wake up before it's harmful for the baby if you happen to fall asleep on your back.  and this early it's not a concern.

They also say that the left side is better than the right for some reason...please.  I was back and forth every night due to my arm falling asleep.  being pregnant it is hard enough to sleep as is, so any way you can get it, get it.

Can't agree more. I got a cold once last pregnancy and slept basically sitting up with pillows surrounding me so I could breathe. Do what you have to.

And the back sleeping thing is because you're cutting off blood through a major artery (vein? whatevs) with the weight from your uterus. You'll feel it--get dizzy, light-headed, sick--and move way before anything disastrous happens.
  • I'm 12w4d with a little tiny bump and still belly sleeping.  They say you will naturally stop when it becomes uncomfortable for you and baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 7/11/09 TTC #1 Since 05/10
    BFP #1 09/20/10 Natural m/c 10/05/10
    BFP! #2 04/21/11... Beta 16 DPO: 437, 18 DPO:1446 Ultrasound 6w6d TWINS!
    Annabel & Sophia Born 11/28/11 at 34w6d
    BFP #3 10/4/16... Beta 13 DPO: 145, 15 DPO: 367 12/1/16 It's a GIRL!

• slssls member
    edited December 2016
    I thought of something else. Ever since last pregnancy, I've had back issues. Turns out I have three bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in my lower back. Anyway, I started sleeping with a rolled up towel in the hollow spaces between my back or waist and the bed. I'm still using it with my Snoogle. Experiment with the thickness. It helps my back pain immensely.