February 2016 Moms

Dentist?

The American Academy of Pediatric Dentists recommends baby's first visit be 4 months after initial eruption and no later than 1st birthday. I've been checking into the cost of visits vs. adding LO to my dental insurance. It's a bit more expensive to add him to my insurance, but it covers 100% of diagnostic and routine visits and sealants and it's easier to pay a few bucks a week than to come up with $200. 

My question is...what are your plans for dental care for your LOs?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Dentist?

• I've been thinking about this recently too. We get free dental care for under 16s in the UK. I need to get round to sorting something. I think that here, you take them to your appointment and the dentist will have a peek to get them used to the process before they have their own appointment. I need to get cracking! 
  • My second son (now 9 )I took to the dentist after a big fall that left his  gums very bruised and that denist told me he didn't need to be seen that young except for that situation. He told me to bring him around 4.I guess I didn't really think about that until u mentioned it!!!! Its amazing how Much changes in a few years w drs.with my oldest they checked his teeth at Dr apts and said he didn't need to be seen till school age as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have also been thinking of this and actually already have him on our insuranceinsu but haven't made an appt yet. He now has 3 teeth with 1 more about to poke through. I will have him seen in the next couple months. Check ups are free so why not. I give him a fluoride supplement daily. 
  • jarob747 said:
    I have also been thinking of this and actually already have him on our insuranceinsu but haven't made an appt yet. He now has 3 teeth with 1 more about to poke through. I will have him seen in the next couple months. Check ups are free so why not. I give him a fluoride supplement daily. 
    Free check ups? On your insurance, I assume? 

H and I talked about it last night and he doesn't really see a point in taking baby to the dentist since a friend of mine said there's nothing they can do if there's a cavity until they're 3. My whole reason for wanting to do this is to prevent him from getting a cavity!

• We didn't start taking our older boys to the dentist until 3-4 years old and now they go every six months. We will do the same with Caleb.

Our family doctor just informed us at our last visit that the they can give him a fluotide treatment once he gets a few more teeth. Our clinic just started this to help with cavity prevention. And it makes it more convenient for people that may not have dental insurance and for parents that don't bring their kids in this young. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• From everything I've heard, its recommended to take your babies in when they're so tiny as more of an educational visit for the parents than anything else. They teach the parents how to brush their teeth and get the kids used to the process to prevent cavities later on. My daughter just turned 3 and we still haven't taken her to the dentist but we take care of her teeth.
  • @DrillSergeantCat yes with our insurance check ups and cleanings are free twice a year. Also vision check ups. They reccomend a vision check by age 1 as well. Jacob has his vision next week and dental in a month. Oh and with my eye doctors office they offer free vision checks without insurance up to a year old too if you don't have insurance. May be something worth while to check into. 
  • @jarob747 Ok. I wasn't sure if you'd found a dentist that offered them for free. I hadn't thought about vision. H has great vision and I started wearing glasses at 20 so that's something to think about. 

With my dental insurance checkups and cleanings are included as well as sealants. I have great teeth, H has not so great teeth. I want to keep Harrison with good teeth as long as possible. My oldest son got my teeth in regards to health, but his dad's jaw shape so he had to have braces, but has only had one cavity in his 20 years. I'd love it if Harrison got just my teeth and mouth.