Infertility
Options

Looking for suggestions to ask the right questions

Hi Gang. I hope you don't mind me starting an individual thread on this.  I apologize in advance if this comes off a little Dear Diary but I could really use your experience, expertise, wisdom, etc. 

IUI #2 was supposed to be this week but yesterday my bw showed that I ovulated very early.  Based on my chart (in siggy) I likely O'd on CD 7.  This is the 2nd time this has happened since I've been consistently charting.  My RE wants me to have all my baseline bw done again after I start my next cycle and I have a phone call scheduled with him on Monday morning to go over what we will do next.  I have no idea what he is going to say or suggest but I know can't afford to be passive and want to make sure I am advocating for myself.  I am hoping some of you here may have suggestions for what questions to ask or if I should ask for any specific testing or treatment.  

This is our 8th cycle (7th month) TTC.  I am 41 and baseline bw in June showed very low AMH so I don't have a lot of time to keep messing up treatment cycles.  I have been on clomid the past 4 cycles.  

Any and all advice is very very appreciated.  
History and blog link in spoiler
2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
May 2020 FET; BFN
July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

Re: Looking for suggestions to ask the right questions

• Options
    @laurad75 I'm sorry you missed out on another cycle. It can be so hard to watch the time fly by. Personally, I think they stick with clomid TOO long and should consider changing to injectables sooner, especially if you are 40+. I wish you luck!
    *TW below*
    Me: 40 DH: 38
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016
    Baby Boy Due Sept 12 2017
    Elias (Eli) born 9/2/17 at 7:07pm weight 8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long!!

• Options
    I think clomid has come and gone for you and second @soontobeshrader. Are you willing to do IVF? If you are of a certain age and have low AMH I would skip IUI.
    I'm 35 with low AMH as well, and we tried clomid and femera for quite a few cycles then skipped to IVF on two separate doctor recommendations.  
    Have you done cycle monitoring to see how many eggs you have on a cycle, and your lining measurements? If not ask for one. It may help guide you into a plan :).
    Me 35, Him 40
    TTC June 2013
    Lap, HSG, Hysteroscopy
    High FSH/ Low AMH
    Endo Mild/ Moderate
    History w/Clomid/Femera/Progesterone
    IVF #1 cancelled poor responder
    IVF #2 two good eggs/ froze both on day 3 rather then lose before blast
    Awaiting sonohystogram to determine if minor surgery needed before FET

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm new here but not to IF.  I am 40 and have low AMH and only one ovary and my RE really discouraged me from "wasting time and money" on IUI.  Each cycle has a less then 5% chance of success.  Have you considered moving to IVF? I know it is a painful and expensive choice.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the suggestions. @cakeforbreakfast and @hsblack7 Yes, we have no problem moving to IVF and that was the plan if 3 IUIs failed.  We are able to cycle monitoring last month and I had 3 good size follicles and my lining looked good. I was okay with trying IUI a couple of more times but I'm not ok with wasting more cycles. 

This has been helpful. Thank you again. 
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog