June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• Anyone having issues with an extremely squirmy and distracted baby only at the bedtime feeding. It's like as soon as he knows it's bedtime, he has issues nursing. He will kick his feet and turn his head and pull ect.  We are in a glider in his room so when he kicks he pushes off the armrest and detaches.  I've tried other feeding positions but they don't work.  It's like 10 min of fighting to get to the feed and because of this I feel less relaxed and my letdown isn't as good and he gets frustrated and it's a pain I. The butt.  I'd hate to have to go on the couch to feed him but I feel that's my last option.
    Damien got super squirmy too and now most bedtime feedings are done with him laying in the crib...not that that would work for Preston...but I totally feel your pain!
  • Anyone having issues with an extremely squirmy and distracted baby only at the bedtime feeding. It's like as soon as he knows it's bedtime, he has issues nursing. He will kick his feet and turn his head and pull ect.  We are in a glider in his room so when he kicks he pushes off the armrest and detaches.  I've tried other feeding positions but they don't work.  It's like 10 min of fighting to get to the feed and because of this I feel less relaxed and my letdown isn't as good and he gets frustrated and it's a pain I. The butt.  I'd hate to have to go on the couch to feed him but I feel that's my last option.

Charlotte is so distracted during all feedings now! She tries to sit up for any and every noise she hears. I used to nurse on the couch but now I have to close the door in her room and feed her in the rocker.
  • Loading the player...
  • Welp, I pumped blood today, so there's that.  :'(
    I know he has a poor latch and I'm guessing he has some lip tie issues, but I wasn't prepared for the blood. Had to poor out 2 ounces because I just couldn't bring myself to fix him a bottle with pink milk. Luckily it hasn't hurt to nurse this evening and I don't think my nipple is still bleeding.
    At nearly 6 months is it worth looking into the ties? He's still meeting milestones fine and seems to be getting at least enough milk to keep him happy, but he's definitely not what anyone would call a well fed baby (13 lbs 11 oz @ 4 months)
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Lizbeth86Lizbeth86 member
    edited November 2016
    Welp, I pumped blood today, so there's that.  :'(
    I know he has a poor latch and I'm guessing he has some lip tie issues, but I wasn't prepared for the blood. Had to poor out 2 ounces because I just couldn't bring myself to fix him a bottle with pink milk. Luckily it hasn't hurt to nurse this evening and I don't think my nipple is still bleeding.
    At nearly 6 months is it worth looking into the ties? He's still meeting milestones fine and seems to be getting at least enough milk to keep him happy, but he's definitely not what anyone would call a well fed baby (13 lbs 11 oz @ 4 months)
    I'm sorry! My right nipple has started hurting during feeding and i can't tell why all of a sudden something changed : (

If I were you I think I would look into the tongue tie just so his speech etc isn't impeded. But I'm not sure if his feeding will get better immediately once you fix it. when we had our LO's tongue and lip tie snipped, they told us she may still have her old habits and need to learn how to nurse with a more open mouth. (In our case the latch was still painful for a while  but LO was less than 2 weeks old so it's not the same as your situation).

Edited to add: if it makes you feel better, our LO was lighter than yours at 4 months. I don't think it's because of a feeding issue, I think she is just a peanut ; )
  • adiaz132003 - YES!!!! But Jack has been squirmy for ALL of his feedings, even with a bottle. Every single noise he looks around, then slams his head into my boob when he's ready to start eating again. He still sleeps in our room so I feed him in my bed then move him to his crib when he is done and asleep. He went through a nursing strike a few weeks ago so at this point I'm just happy he is actually nursing!
  • Welp, I pumped blood today, so there's that.  :'(
    Oh no! That's scary! I hope it goes back to normal today! :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Preston is having a hard time nursing before bed.  Every single night!!! Every night he will fight the breast. Punch it, pull, arch his back and yell out then go back and try and suck.  He not getting milk from me and we have to use a bottle other wise it would take an hour just to feed him.  This is only at bedtime and he is totally fine during the day.  What could this possibly be? I even looked on Google to see if anyone else has these issues but I found nothing.
  • Preston is having a hard time nursing before bed.  Every single night!!! Every night he will fight the breast. Punch it, pull, arch his back and yell out then go back and try and suck.  He not getting milk from me and we have to use a bottle other wise it would take an hour just to feed him.  This is only at bedtime and he is totally fine during the day.  What could this possibly be? I even looked on Google to see if anyone else has these issues but I found nothing.
    I had this for awhile with Savannah and it was heartbreaking and frustrating. We make less milk at night and so I think she got frustrated that it wasn't coming fast enough. 

Try pumping your boob with your hand while feedingto help milk flow faster, you could also pump for a minute or two before feeding to speed up your letdown
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    Could he be getting overstimulated? We haven't changed anything in Jackie's routine but she's been noticing a lot more. Playing with the patterns on her changing pad, looking at the pictures in her room, noticing the wipes container and diaper cream and wanting to play with it. Maybe by the time you get around to feeding him he's overwhelmed?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Has anyone has mastitis? I'm worried that I'm coming down with it.. my left Boob is killing me!!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Has anyone has mastitis? I'm worried that I'm coming down with it.. my left Boob is killing me!!!
    I've had it three times.... The best thing you can do is nurse or pump frequently while massaging the sore area. You can also apply heat or massage the lump in a hot shower.
    I've found that sleeping with the baby and allowing her to nurse all night has worked the best for me  I did that last time and didn't need antibiotics. Hopefully it's just a plugged duct but if you get a fever or notice a.red area on your breast you should see a doctor. 
    Good luck!
    Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014
    BFP - Oct 19 2015- Due July 1 2016!

Pregnancy Ticker
    I've had it three times.... The best thing you can do is nurse or pump frequently while massaging the sore area. You can also apply heat or massage the lump in a hot shower.
    I've found that sleeping with the baby and allowing her to nurse all night has worked the best for me  I did that last time and didn't need antibiotics. Hopefully it's just a plugged duct but if you get a fever or notice a.red area on your breast you should see a doctor. 
    Good luck!
    Thanks! I'm on antibiotics now, I'm nursing as much as possible and pumping the affected side. Everything says to keep nursing but I dont feel comfortable because there is some blood and pus. (TMI sorry) I actually am a nurse but until these things happen to you, you don't know how it will really be.

not fun!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • soulou17 said:
    I've been seeing these tree of life pics on my facebook for the last couple of days. Decided to make one! Turned out pretty cool! 

I saw one too, how did you make that??
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • In an app called PicsArt! It's really easy! 

I followed these directions:

https://adventuresofanovicemum.co.uk/how-to-make-a-tree-of-life-brelfie/

• I made one earlier today too. What a cool way to capture such a special bond.
  • Lately Jackie has been biting me. Granted, she has no teeth yet, but she keeps pinching my nipple between her gums. Any advice on how to discourage this without messing with her eating habits?
  • meggyme said:
    Lately Jackie has been biting me. Granted, she has no teeth yet, but she keeps pinching my nipple between her gums. Any advice on how to discourage this without messing with her eating habits?
    Hi (long time lurker first time poster here!)

I had this problem with my son and was told to just say "no, you do not bite Mummy", unlatch him and lie him down. It took about a week and he has stopped biting me thankfully. Hope that helps :smile:
  • Weird moment today, went to get a personalized baby's first Christmas ornament. As I looked at the options , none of the ones with a baby on them felt right, because they all had a pacifier or a bottle, lol. Nothing against either, they just didn't look like my baby! (I've tried to get LO to take both of them but she refused, although we finally made progress with the bottle yesterday).

I guess an ornament with a baby on the boob would be weird, haha! I went with a rocking horse : )
  • I feel breastfeeding bipolar. I finished my second pump of the day at work and I just wanted to quit. Just under 2 ounces, total, was all I could get out. It's just getting ridiculous, I don't know where my supply has gone and I can't seem to do anything to fix it. I've power pumped, I've made lactation cookies, upped my water, upped my good calories, it's just a roller coast ride of output volumes that I feel is slowing coming to a stop. 

But! by the time I cleaned everything up and got back to my desk, I wanted to cry at the idea of stopping breastfeeding. I love providing for Miles, and I know he prefers eating this way, and it gives us such a great bond. I'm so confused. DH doesn't really help. He just wants me to be happy and less stressed and Miles to be healthy, however the nutrients get to him doesn't matter. And as a guy, I get that he doesn't understand the breastfeeding bond, and probably wouldn't mind the opportunity to feed him more, and I keep getting the reminder that the formula is free so I shouldn't worry about the cost (no hate, but yes our formula is free, DH works at the Mead Johnson HQ), but that's not the point. But again, the disruption to pump everyday is awful, and my output is terrible and I constantly fear that Miles isn't getting enough...

Maybe this was more of a rant than anything else. Just needed to explain myself to fellow breastfeeding women
  • I feel breastfeeding bipolar. I finished my second pump of the day at work and I just wanted to quit. Just under 2 ounces, total, was all I could get out. It's just getting ridiculous, I don't know where my supply has gone and I can't seem to do anything to fix it. I've power pumped, I've made lactation cookies, upped my water, upped my good calories, it's just a roller coast ride of output volumes that I feel is slowing coming to a stop. 

But! by the time I cleaned everything up and got back to my desk, I wanted to cry at the idea of stopping breastfeeding. I love providing for Miles, and I know he prefers eating this way, and it gives us such a great bond. I'm so confused. DH doesn't really help. He just wants me to be happy and less stressed and Miles to be healthy, however the nutrients get to him doesn't matter. And as a guy, I get that he doesn't understand the breastfeeding bond, and probably wouldn't mind the opportunity to feed him more, and I keep getting the reminder that the formula is free so I shouldn't worry about the cost (no hate, but yes our formula is free, DH works at the Mead Johnson HQ), but that's not the point. But again, the disruption to pump everyday is awful, and my output is terrible and I constantly fear that Miles isn't getting enough...

Maybe this was more of a rant than anything else. Just needed to explain myself to fellow breastfeeding women
    I get it! I can't wait to get my body back but the thought of being done breastfeeding is heartbreaking. I never thought I would say that pre-baby!!

Have you tried Fenugreek tabs? I swear they help me!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

I get it! I can't wait to get my body back but the thought of being done breastfeeding is heartbreaking. I never thought I would say that pre-baby!!

Have you tried Fenugreek tabs? I swear they help me!
    That is something that I have not done, no. Do you just take capsules? Any in particular that you recommend?

So sorry to hear that you're struggling. Just remember, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. There is nothing wrong with pumping and nursing as much as you can/want and then using formula to make up the rest. 

I wonder what would happen if you pumped one less time at work. I know it seems counterproductive, but if you're already not getting much, spacing out the pumping sessions a little might help you get more each time and have one less interruption to your day. I know for me the hardest part of BFing is finding the time and motivation to pump at work. It's so discouraging to go to all the hassle and then only get a little bit. 

Of course, I'm not a doctor or LC, so this is just brainstorming, not official advice. I hope things get better for you!
  • @artleaadye

I take these 2 tabs 2-3x/day for 3 days to boost my supply, then stop. I believe they were $10 at Buy Buy Baby :)

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Calvin (who doesn't have teeth yet) started biting my nipples yesterday. Ouch! Now I'm really dreading teeth!
  • Calvin (who doesn't have teeth yet) started biting my nipples yesterday. Ouch! Now I'm really dreading teeth!
    I am dreading teeth. Savannah has started to play with my nipple occasionally, I guess grabbing/pulling is a better way to describe it :s That's bad enough! I can't imagine biting!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • What can I take for a cold while breastfeeding? All I can glean from KellysMom is essential oils to clear my congestions and I'm fresh out. (*sarcasm*) My ibuprofen and Vicks rub aren't cutting it.
  • meggyme said:
    What can I take for a cold while breastfeeding? All I can glean from KellysMom is essential oils to clear my congestions and I'm fresh out. (*sarcasm*) My ibuprofen and Vicks rub aren't cutting it.
    I'm sorry to say that I have yet to come across anything.  As an added no no, menthol had been shown to decrease supply.  I can attest this to be true... during my first cold, I broke down and took some NyQuil, deciding to just pump and dump, along with popping menthol halls like they were candy.  My supply took a major hit.  For every subsequent cold I have stuck to Tylenol and non-menthol throat soothers.  In other words, I suffer through.  You could try saline spray.  I'm personally not keen on shoving junk up my nose, but it does seem to help our little ones.
  • Netty pot or nasal saline rinse and chamomile tea with honey... But I'm not one for NyQuil (personal preference).
  • Does anyone still breastfeed at night but not pump that much during the day? Do our bodies allow this or is it all or nothing?

As I prepare to go back to work, I'm really not sure how long I'll be able to keep pumping. My company is supportive, with lactation rooms, etc, but more pumping breaks means I have to stay at work longer, and less time with LO. But I'm not ready to give up breastfeeding, and I'm not sure if I need to pump a lot to keep it going?
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Does anyone still breastfeed at night but not pump that much during the day? Do our bodies allow this or is it all or nothing?

As I prepare to go back to work, I'm really not sure how long I'll be able to keep pumping. My company is supportive, with lactation rooms, etc, but more pumping breaks means I have to stay at work longer, and less time with LO. But I'm not ready to give up breastfeeding, and I'm not sure if I need to pump a lot to keep it going?
    I take two 20 minute pump breaks a day and that's what I send with Savannah to daycare the next day. I wouldn't be able to keep up with her without supplementing if I didn't pump at work.

Can you get a hands free bra and send emails or make calls during your break so you don't have to stay later? They're expensive but you could try the freemie cups maybe? They're supposed to make pumping very discreet. I need to invest in them but haven't yet.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Does anyone still breastfeed at night but not pump that much during the day? Do our bodies allow this or is it all or nothing?

I take two 20 minute pump breaks a day and that's what I send with Savannah to daycare the next day. I wouldn't be able to keep up with her without supplementing if I didn't pump at work.

Can you get a hands free bra and send emails or make calls during your break so you don't have to stay later? They're expensive but you could try the freemie cups maybe? They're supposed to make pumping very discreet. I need to invest in them but haven't yet.
    Thanks @laurenm2123, i actually do have a hands free bra and I can get through some emails etc during the breaks. But i think my actual pumping time is less than the time it will take to go back and forth to the lactation room, set up and dismantle the pump stuff, etc.
    Two 20 minute breaks is manageable, but my co-worker who just went back said she is doing 3 or 4 half hour breaks. That's up to 2 hours, and I just think it would start to cause problems of I scoot out at 5 pm after being a little MIA throughout the day.

Are you still able to fully nurse in the evenings and nights?

• Lizbeth86 said:
    Lizbeth86 said:

Thanks @laurenm2123, i actually do have a hands free bra and I can get through some emails etc during the breaks. But i think my actual pumping time is less than the time it will take to go back and forth to the lactation room, set up and dismantle the pump stuff, etc.
    Two 20 minute breaks is manageable, but my co-worker who just went back said she is doing 3 or 4 half hour breaks. That's up to 2 hours, and I just think it would start to cause problems of I scoot out at 5 pm after being a little MIA throughout the day.

Are you still able to fully nurse in the evenings and nights?

Yup! Can't get Savannah off of me at home :D Pkus she is in the 97% percentile for weight so I'm pretty sure she's getting enough!

Going back to work is really hard and it's an adjustment. I often feel guilty taking my pumping breaks when we're busy but try to remember how good it is for her and that this is only temporary. Honestly, I'm more productive and useful now than I was pregnant because of lifting restrictions/staying away from sick kids.

I plan on weaning at 1 so I keep reminding myself that next school year I'll be back at 100% without pregnancy or nursing and that makes me feel less guilty.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Lizbeth86 said:

If the pumping is truly going to be cumbersome, you don't have to do it. Your body will adjust to only nursing in the morning/evening, and you can use formula during the day if you like. Our bodies are really smart, they know when the milk needs to be there because that's when the baby, or the pump, usually takes milk, and when it doesn't need to produce much. Some lucky people, not me but I've heard it's been done, are able to sleep through the night without feeding their baby, that's up to 12 hours of not pumping or nursing, and your breasts don't explode or your milk doesn't dry up. And eventually, that's how you'll probably want to wean your baby, by slowly dropping nursing sessions. Your body will still produce milk when it realizes it needs to in the mean time.

I would say though, if you are going to pump less or not at all during the day, make the change gradually. Personally, I might suggest one pump at lunch time or something, rather than stopping entirely, just so that your body can make the adjustment between weekends and work week easier.
  • Lizbeth86 said:

If the pumping is truly going to be cumbersome, you don't have to do it. Your body will adjust to only nursing in the morning/evening, and you can use formula during the day if you like. Our bodies are really smart, they know when the milk needs to be there because that's when the baby, or the pump, usually takes milk, and when it doesn't need to produce much. Some lucky people, not me but I've heard it's been done, are able to sleep through the night without feeding their baby, that's up to 12 hours of not pumping or nursing, and your breasts don't explode or your milk doesn't dry up. And eventually, that's how you'll probably want to wean your baby, by slowly dropping nursing sessions. Your body will still produce milk when it realizes it needs to in the mean time.

I would say though, if you are going to pump less or not at all during the day, make the change gradually. Personally, I might suggest one pump at lunch time or something, rather than stopping entirely, just so that your body can make the adjustment between weekends and work week easier.
    Thanks for your help! Yeah I won't do anything drastic especially my first week back, I'll just see how it goes : )
  • I've been back to work a little over a month and also take two 20 minute breaks a day to pump. I manage to still be pretty productive by using hands free bra. I also have to go to a separate room and set everything up each time. It was a little annoying at first but I adjusted pretty quickly and have gotten more efficient with it. I still nurse Charlotte in the morning and at night before bed. Then I usually pump before bed and those three daily pumping sessions give me enough to send with her to daycare the next day plus provide the 3 ounces we mix with her oatmeal in the morning. I've started power pumping this week bc I'd really like to be able to freeze a 4-5 ounce bag daily as well since I travel for work occasionally and will be gone for 7 days in February. I have a pretty good supply built up but want to make sure I have extra for her when I'm gone just in case. Plus I still would like to have a supply when I get back since I won't be able to transport what I pump while I'm away. It's going to be so painful to get rid of all that!

I've been lucky that night feedings stopped at around 3 months and my body was able to regulate the milk production like @art&leaadye said so I don't leak and am not exploding in the morning as long as I do that pump before bed.
  • lac1252 said:
    I've been back to work a little over a month and also take two 20 minute breaks a day to pump. I manage to still be pretty productive by using hands free bra. I also have to go to a separate room and set everything up each time. It was a little annoying at first but I adjusted pretty quickly and have gotten more efficient with it. I still nurse Charlotte in the morning and at night before bed. Then I usually pump before bed and those three daily pumping sessions give me enough to send with her to daycare the next day plus provide the 3 ounces we mix with her oatmeal in the morning. I've started power pumping this week bc I'd really like to be able to freeze a 4-5 ounce bag daily as well since I travel for work occasionally and will be gone for 7 days in February. I have a pretty good supply built up but want to make sure I have extra for her when I'm gone just in case. Plus I still would like to have a supply when I get back since I won't be able to transport what I pump while I'm away. It's going to be so painful to get rid of all that!

I've been lucky that night feedings stopped at around 3 months and my body was able to regulate the milk production like @art&leaadye said so I don't leak and am not exploding in the morning as long as I do that pump before bed.
    I am so sad about he thought of pumping and dumping milk for the 5 days I'm in Paris. What a waste! I'm hoping I'll drink enough wine that I would have to dump it anyway, that should help to soften the blow.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • That's what I keep telling myself too for my week in Amsterdam!