June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• Thanks, hopefully its that. I will keep drinking my water
  • DS gained weight like a champ the first month, but there has been a steady decline since. A lactation consultant has recommended an ENT to correct a slight tongue tie that she believes is the cause of his reflux and poor weight gain. DS will be 3 months on the 28th.I'm just wondering if any of you had a tongue-tie treated later and if you saw improvements. I'm worried that I will cause his discomfort only to have no improvement because his mouth muscle memory is set. Thanks in advance, ladies! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @MistKeeper I didn't see a big change immediately with our LO but she was so little (9 days) when her tongue and lip tie was snipped. I continued using the nipple shield bc she was biting my nipple, but at 2 months an LC helped us stop using the shield and she is latching well now.

Our LO is also a peanut, she gained fine in the first month and less in the 2nd and 3rd. Her pediatrician is not concerned though. She is doing great with milestones, etc, is very alert, and comes off the boob on her own, satisfied. Dr said she may just be a small baby for a while (neither DH nor I are very big).

I would encourage you to correct the lip tie and have a consultant help you to correct her latch of you don't see improvement right away.
  • So proud of my son- hes finally sleeping through the night.  Last night he went to bed at 9 and he's still sleeping.  I just had to pump (7oz from one side!) bc I woke up soaking wet!  Which breast pads are you lovelies wearing at night to prevent the leakage from getting everywhere??
  • DS gained weight like a champ the first month, but there has been a steady decline since. A lactation consultant has recommended an ENT to correct a slight tongue tie that she believes is the cause of his reflux and poor weight gain. DS will be 3 months on the 28th.I'm just wondering if any of you had a tongue-tie treated later and if you saw improvements. I'm worried that I will cause his discomfort only to have no improvement because his mouth muscle memory is set. Thanks in advance, ladies! 

It took a few weeks for us to see improvement.  There are exersises you can do to change how they use their tongue that really help.  I would be sure to get it done regardless cause lip and tongue tie can cause issues in things like speech, jaw recession and gaps in teeth.
  • Update: The pediatrician found blood in his stool. I've been instructed to exclusively use formula for three days and cut out all dairy and soy. Now I don't know if I should still see an ENT. He's only gained 7oz in a month! 
  • Update: The pediatrician found blood in his stool. I've been instructed to exclusively use formula for three days and cut out all dairy and soy. Now I don't know if I should still see an ENT. He's only gained 7oz in a month! 
    I hope he feels better soon and starts gaining again!! Hopefully a dietary change will make a world of difference.
  • Who else's little one is getting distracted while BFing and pops on and off constantly? My nipples are killing me!!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Who else's little one is getting distracted while BFing and pops on and off constantly? My nipples are killing me!!!
    I think this is going on here, I can't tell if she is finished eating or not but yeah she's definitely looking around more and squirming a lot while BFing. Night feedings go a little better.
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Who else's little one is getting distracted while BFing and pops on and off constantly? My nipples are killing me!!!
    I think this is going on here, I can't tell if she is finished eating or not but yeah she's definitely looking around more and squirming a lot while BFing. Night feedings go a little better.
    Same, night feedings are find. Wondering is taking her into the nursery where there's no TV and it's less bright would help.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • egirl1025egirl1025 member
    edited October 2016
    So I have gotten my first PP period and it is a doozy!  I also got it on the most stressful day i have had in awhile.... Anyways... I have noticed that milk production seems down. I basically exclusively pump with generally feeding at the breast once per day.  Has anyone else noticed a dip in production during their period?  Anything that can affect my milk supply had me thoroughly freaked out.  

ETA:. It's late and swype sucks ass
  • egirl1025 said:
    So I have gotten my first PP period and it is a doozy!  I also got it on the most stressful day i have had in awhile.... Anyways... I have noticed that milk production seems down. I basically exclusively pump with generally feeding at the breast once per day.  Has anyone else noticed a dip in production during their period?  Anything that can affect my milk supply had me thoroughly freaked out.  

ETA:. It's late and swype sucks ass
     I have heard that your period can not only slow production a bit but also change the taste of the milk.  It's temporary and shoukd go back to normal as your period starts to go away.  I know I'm not looking forward to that day.
  • For anyone who is still home during the day and breastfeeding- is your LO mainly awake or asleep during daytime feeds?

Savannah sleeps through most of her feeds and I'm beginning to wonder if that is her "nap time". She is either wide awake and playing around or falls asleep once I start feeding her.

Wondering if I should try to talk to her and keep her awake in hopes that she'll take a real nap in which I can put her down.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • For anyone who is still home during the day and breastfeeding- is your LO mainly awake or asleep during daytime feeds?

Savannah sleeps through most of her feeds and I'm beginning to wonder if that is her "nap time". She is either wide awake and playing around or falls asleep once I start feeding her.

Wondering if I should try to talk to her and keep her awake in hopes that she'll take a real nap in which I can put her down.
    My LO is awake during her daytime feeds. Sometimes if I lay down on my bed to feed her she may doze off but that's only if she is really overdue for a nap. In that case she'll stay asleep after the feeding.

Does Savannah stay asleep after the feeding, or does she wake up as soon as it's over?
  • I normally feed right after he wakes from a nap unless he is doing a long stretch of wake time.  He is always awake then.  Sometimes he will soft off a bit during the first feed of the day cause he hasn't quite woken up yet. Lol
  • Abby "sleeps" during feedings. This used to work out nicely because she'd nurse to sleep with no problems. But now that the sleep regression hit, it's been a disaster. She hardly naps and isn't sleeping through the night anymore. Im afraid it's become a sleep crutch. I've been thinking of rearranging our schedule (it's currently play, eat, sleep) but I have NO idea how she'll nap without nursing. Rocking, bouncing, shushing aren't working. 
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    For anyone who is still home during the day and breastfeeding- is your LO mainly awake or asleep during daytime feeds?

My LO is awake during her daytime feeds. Sometimes if I lay down on my bed to feed her she may doze off but that's only if she is really overdue for a nap. In that case she'll stay asleep after the feeding.

Does Savannah stay asleep after the feeding, or does she wake up as soon as it's over?
    Most of the time she wakes up, occasionally she will sleep on the boppy on my lap for about 20 minutes 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • rmmorris said:
    Abby "sleeps" during feedings. This used to work out nicely because she'd nurse to sleep with no problems. But now that the sleep regression hit, it's been a disaster. She hardly naps and isn't sleeping through the night anymore. Im afraid it's become a sleep crutch. I've been thinking of rearranging our schedule (it's currently play, eat, sleep) but I have NO idea how she'll nap without nursing. Rocking, bouncing, shushing aren't working. 
    Sounds similar to us.. yesterday she seemed exhausted so I tried walking around with her and giving her a paci. She screamed the entire time! So I gave up and put her in her jumper, happy as a clam *eye roll*
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I normally feed right after he wakes from a nap unless he is doing a long stretch of wake time.  He is always awake then.  Sometimes he will soft off a bit during the first feed of the day cause he hasn't quite woken up yet. Lol
    Eating has kind of become our down time when I eat, watch tv, etc. I wonder if she's using it as her recharge time too
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • How many times a day are you guys still breastfeeding? My mom casually mentioned yesterday that she thinks Savannah is eating too frequently, we're still every 2-2.5 hours pretty much all day.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • How many times a day are you guys still breastfeeding? My mom casually mentioned yesterday that she thinks Savannah is eating too frequently, we're still every 2-2.5 hours pretty much all day.
    Up until the past week or so we were on a pretty similar schedule. Just recently, S has started going 3-3.5, or even 4 hours if we're out and about. But again, this is only in the past week and before that we were closer to 2.5. Who know if it will change again. 
  • I found that I had been feeding Jackie before she really started being hungry (every 3 hrs) I started waiting for her to show me she's hungry and it's varied between 2.5 to 4.5 hours.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    I found that I had been feeding Jackie before she really started being hungry (every 3 hrs) I started waiting for her to show me she's hungry and it's varied between 2.5 to 4.5 hours.
    Interesting! I bet I am doing the same thing since it's the only real down time I get... oops!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    I'm back at work now, but Miles will usually nurse 4 times a day as well as getting 3 bottles, only because I make him. This past weekend I had to force him to eat every 4-5 hours. Dude is just not interested in eating right now, it's odd. He will nurse on the weekend 6 times in 24 hours usually
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • He nurses about 5-6 times a day depending on how many naps he takes.  He doesn't nurse at night anymore so it still averages to about every 2-3 hours so that he total calorie intake can sustain he through the night.
  • Wow maybe I am feeding her too much! She still eats 8-10x/day
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Wow maybe I am feeding her too much! She still eats 8-10x/day
    My guess is you could probably stretch out her feedings if you wanted, and she would learn to take more at a feeding, but I'm sure she's not taking more than she wants/needs right now. You'd likely have a frequent spitter or a fussy baby with a stomach ache after eating. When Miles goes the 5 hour stretch (usually because of 2-3 hours of awake time followed by a 2 hour nap) he'll seriously nurse for 30-40 minutes to make up for it. You just have to decide what works for you both and your schedule
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • I'm now feeding Charlotte 4 times a day, roughly every four hours, though sometimes 3, sometimes 5. We also started her on solids two weeks ago so I think that's affected the timing of feedings as she is also napping longer. Though I think I remember you saying your LO just turned 4 months. Mine is closer to 5 now.
  • meggyme said:
    I found that I had been feeding Jackie before she really started being hungry (every 3 hrs) I started waiting for her to show me she's hungry and it's varied between 2.5 to 4.5 hours.
    Interesting! I bet I am doing the same thing since it's the only real down time I get... oops!
    Yeah, we'd been on the go so much I would feed her before we got in the car, expecting she'd be hungry while we were out. Now that things have slowed down I've found she doesn't eat as often as I was expecting. Maybe that's why she's 99% for weight.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • She just turned 4 months, and she doesn't like being put down very often. She constantly wants to be held or nursed.. she is nursing about 3.5-4 hours a day still. It's honestly almost the same as when she was a newborn. I suspect that there is a lot of comfort nursing going on.

My mom says I was the same way with always wanting to be held.

While it is frustrating to not get anything done around the house, DH is so understanding that it's not a huge concern. My fear is her reaction to daycare which she starts in 1 month.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

STUCK IN A BOX!
    Calvin will be 5 months in a few days and he is still eating every 2 -2.5 hours, all day, pretty much all night. Sometimes if he's distracted or we're out he will go 3+, and he usually starts the night with 3 hours of sleep. We are going to start sleep training at 6 months, and his night feeds are usually just nursing back to sleep. From what my pediatrician said, this is all totally normal for EBF babies. Sigh.

STUCK IN A BOX!
    Calvin will be 5 months in a few days and he is still eating every 2 -2.5 hours, all day, pretty much all night. Sometimes if he's distracted or we're out he will go 3+, and he usually starts the night with 3 hours of sleep. We are going to start sleep training at 6 months, and his night feeds are usually just nursing back to sleep. From what my pediatrician said, this is all totally normal for EBF babies. Sigh.
    I'm just so tired! But she's hungry so what can you do? I tried to get her back to sleep last night without nursing.. that was a funny joke!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Before sleep coaching Preston was eating every 3 hours all day and night.  Maybe only a 2 hour ago before bed.  After the coaching I feed him about the same so I suspect those wakings were more that he wanted to nurse to sleep.  He goes a full 12 hours at night and even when he wakes up in the morning, he doesn't get super fussy for food but as soon as he sees the boobs pop out he gets super excited. Lol it's actually really cute.
  • I have to wake up at 3am to get ready to head to the airport. Damien is usually asleep by 8pm at the latest so I wanted to be in bed by 9pm. Well of course that isn't happening. We put Damien down and he slept until 9pm, then he was akway but not fussing. I kept an eye on him and got ready for bed. At 9:30pm he was crying and since he didn't eat much prior to bedtime, I started to feed him. He just nibbled on the nipple for 30min and then when I said, "Okay, he is going back into the crib if he isn't hungry," he started screaming. I tried feeding again and he ate about 4oz but continued to just suck without actually drink until I took the bottle out of his mouth. I laid him back in the crib wide awake but I have this bad feeling that it's going to be a rough night. 
  • Hi
    I usually don't post but I'm getting really frustrated with my doctors. 
    I've had mastitis 3 times in the last 2.5 months. I think it's because of my daughter lip and tongue ties that weren't clipped clipped when she was born. Her tongue tie isn't super bad but I think her lip tie is the main issue. I live in a small town so my options are limited in the care providers I can see but my ob said her daughters lip tie was worse and I shouldn't worry. 
    For those of you that had your child's lip tie corrected do you think my daughters would warrant getting it done at 4.5 months old? 

Thank you! 

Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014
    BFP - Oct 19 2015- Due July 1 2016!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi
    I usually don't post but I'm getting really frustrated with my doctors. 
    I've had mastitis 3 times in the last 2.5 months. I think it's because of my daughter lip and tongue ties that weren't clipped clipped when she was born. Her tongue tie isn't super bad but I think her lip tie is the main issue. I live in a small town so my options are limited in the care providers I can see but my ob said her daughters lip tie was worse and I shouldn't worry. 
    For those of you that had your child's lip tie corrected do you think my daughters would warrant getting it done at 4.5 months old? 

Thank you! 

The longer the better.  It won't be an instant fix because she has gone so long with it and will have to relearn to latch but you can help by pulling the lip back.  I would go ahead and do it.  Find someone who uses laser, less likely to reattach.  Also do the tongue because while it may not look bad in the front, they say the posterior tie is almost worse.  My son had both and I am so happy we did it.  It took a few weeks but my boobs thank me.
  • @adiaz132003 thanks! Her latch sucks. Her top lip doesn't flange at all.
    My friend just told me it will likely get worse once her teeth come in. Her daughter ended up with decay on her front teeth because her lip tie was so tight.
    Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
    My friend just told me it will likely get worse once her teeth come in. Her daughter ended up with decay on her front teeth because her lip tie was so tight.

I myself have lip and tongue tie and I had a big gap tooth and my mom gave up breastfeeding.  They didn't know then what they know now.  Preston's lip also never flanged but that was probably the first thing to improve, then it was tongue movement and finally suction strength.  Idk where you live but in Albany NY is the best dr there is for ties. Dr kotlow I believe.  He has a ton of info online you can look into.

I myself have lip and tongue tie and I had a big gap tooth and my mom gave up breastfeeding.  They didn't know then what they know now.  Preston's lip also never flanged but that was probably the first thing to improve, then it was tongue movement and finally suction strength.  Idk where you live but in Albany NY is the best dr there is for ties. Dr kotlow I believe.  He has a ton of info online you can look into.
    Thank you! I'll look him up. I'm in British Columbia Canada in a super rural town but I know there are dentists in Vancouver that will correct ties with cold lasers or something. I'll research it some more
    Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone having issues with an extremely squirmy and distracted baby only at the bedtime feeding. It's like as soon as he knows it's bedtime, he has issues nursing. He will kick his feet and turn his head and pull ect.  We are in a glider in his room so when he kicks he pushes off the armrest and detaches.  I've tried other feeding positions but they don't work.  It's like 10 min of fighting to get to the feed and because of this I feel less relaxed and my letdown isn't as good and he gets frustrated and it's a pain I. The butt.  I'd hate to have to go on the couch to feed him but I feel that's my last option.