Baby Names

Less common boy names?

Found out we are having our second son yesterday, and I was thinking and hoping it was a girl all along. I feel like naming him might get me more excited. Please don't shame me for gender disappointment or correct my use of gender, just help with naming or keep scrolling.

We like less common (I don't believe anything is "unique"), correctly spelled names not beginning with R, L, or Z. Our last name ends in -son and clashes with many n-ending names. 

Examples of what we like : Graham, Ivan, Marshall, Gavin, Evan 

Re: Less common boy names?

• Dean
    Bennett 
    Garrett 
    Troy
    Reed 
    Drake
    Tate
    Brock 

• Malcolm
    Alistair or Alister
    Grant
    Tristan
    Bennett
    Garrett
    Caleb
    Blake
    Jared
    Oscar
    Theodore
    Walter

• Loading the player...
  • SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited November 2016
    Arthur
    Ewan
    Alan
    Ronan
    Philip
    Timothy

What's your first son's name?
  • I really like Marshall

Urijah
    Trent
    Curtis
    Edwin
    Arlo
    Dimitri
    Bryce
    Vaughn
    Cedric
    Roman
    Ian
    Garrett
    Henrik
    Alaric
    Alec
    Micah
    Jasper

• Arthur
    Ewan
    Alan
    Ronan
    Philip
    Timothy

What's your first son's name?

My first son's name is Zane
  • Great suggestions! Keep them coming! So many great names that we can't use because family members or close friends have them like Drake and Troy. I'm especially intrigued by Garrett, Tristan, Trent, Arlo (getting trendy?), and Henrik. We'll see what hubby thinks.
  • Nobody minds a preference for a son or daughter, unless you're being dramatic about it. 

Suggesting Cole, Hugh, Hugo, Clint, Vance, Cade

• Vincent
    Ewan
    Conrad
    Colin
    Adrian
    Jasper
    Cullum
    Tobias
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't see it mentioned but we have an Asa and get compliments all the time on his name. We also considered Eben. As a mama of five boys in a row, I understand your feelings and can guarantee that raising brothers is amazing! congratulations and finding the perfect name does help a whole lot :)

Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• @lovelongdog06 I love that u mentioned gavin! that's the boy name I love.  I agree with you about using less common names. I personally actually really hate common male names.
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • @AMCsquared I would use Gavin in a heartbeat if it weren't so popular!
  • Anders
    Abel
    Jace
    Lachlan
    Frank
    Brock
    Jack (more common)
    Hank
    Oskar
    Erik

• Hollis
    Mercer
    Brock
    Tate

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • @lovelongdog06 aw, if u love it, use it. :)
    I've never met anyone with that name!
  • I'm married to a teacher and apparently there are lots of little Gavins :/. He wants to stay off the top 100 and Gavin is around 70.
  • Wow that's cool to know! it's so interesting how different areas have different popular names!

Let us know what names you're leaning toward as this thread grows :)
  • How about Gordon? kinda like Gavin.. (I love gavin but my husband said no and we went with Nicholas)
  • Corbin might be another option
  • KMck27KMck27 member
    edited November 2016
    Davin  - very similar to Gavin. not so popular. I wanted to name our first that if dh didn't want our son to be a third.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • You could name him after one of the best movie characters Steve Martin ever played.. Navin from The Jerk.  :p
  • @KMck27 I love that u suggested davin! that's the one name I've written on my boy list. :) it's irish
  • Other than Gavin, our front runners right now are Graham (the one we keep coming back to), Pierce, and Ivan.
  • Names that I have proposed and my husband has vetoed:
    Henry
    Elliot
    Bennett
    Emmett
    Dalton
    I also like Evan and Graham (which he has also vetoed).
    "For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." ~storypeople.com   

My Blog - Taking You Home

• I'm about 96% sure we're going with Graham at this point. It's the only one we really agree we both really like. We're still open to being swept off our feet by another name, though. It feels better to have a "probably" name picked out. I've even allowed myself to fall in love with a personalized "going home" outfit that we can't afford.
  • Graham is a great choice! Congratulations. Side note, you might feel more comfortable splurging on a personalized blanket that he can use longer  :)
  • lovelongdog06 my son is Graham, as it was my maiden name. I have lived with it and knew I would like it - we get complements on it all the time.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Great choice!  I've always loved Graham (never been able to sell DH...damn crackers).  I have a nephew named Gavin and DS Pierce so I love a lot of your choices!  If this next one is a boy we will most likely name him Grant or Rory.
  • @BethPSU we figure we're doing ok if the worst he gets called is Graham cracker. After all, you have to have graham crackers to make s'mores, and s'mores are awesome. Kids are cruel...they will find a way to make fun of someone for anything. If not his name, then appearance, clothing, etc.
  • That's true and you could always go with the spelling Graeme.  I actually prefer the Graeme spelling, but it is less common in the U.S. 
  • I prefer the spelling and pronunciation of Graham in spite of the cracker, but you're right, Graeme is a legit alternative!