February 2017 Moms

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• @leslie1331, I used a boppy pillow for that kind of thing if I wanted them propped for something. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh good call, I already have one of those. Thanks ladies!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone thought about getting/purchased/used an Owlet monitor or any other form of oxygen/heart rate monitoring device for their baby? Part of me says I totally don't need it and not to stress out about it and then my dear old friend 'anxiety' creeps up and informs me that this is very necessary. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My co-worker swears by the Angelcare mat & sound monitor.  She said that the few false alarms were worth the trouble because it helped her worry a lot less and sleep better overall.  Plus, she said the light on the monitor base is perfect as a night light for the nursery.  So, that's the one on my list.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If the baby is going to be in their room in a crib I would totally get one of those. I will have her next to our bed and I'm one of those that rolls over constantly to put my hand on the baby or watches for her breathing. But if she wasn't right next to me I think those are great!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Has anyone thought about getting/purchased/used an Owlet monitor or any other form of oxygen/heart rate monitoring device for their baby? Part of me says I totally don't need it and not to stress out about it and then my dear old friend 'anxiety' creeps up and informs me that this is very necessary. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions? 
    My friend has one and didn't like it.  She said it was constantly going off whenever the baby moved in his sleep and it was freaking her out.  Her experience made me feel like it wasn't worth the hassle. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My friend has one and didn't like it.  She said it was constantly going off whenever the baby moved in his sleep and it was freaking her out.  Her experience made me feel like it wasn't worth the hassle. 
    My friend had the snuza hero and she loved it, she said they never had any false alarms. That's the one that clips to their diaper and picks up on their breathing. She had a pretty active/chubby baby and used it until she was about 10 months old. (I just saw they are 20% off today too!) 
    My friend had the snuza hero and she loved it, she said they never had any false alarms. That's the one that clips to their diaper and picks up on their breathing. She had a pretty active/chubby baby and used it until she was about 10 months old. (I just saw they are 20% off today too!) 
    I hadn't heard of this one but I think I like the idea better than the Owlet! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CurlyCupcake21 I agree... the reviews on the Snuza look great too, and I feel like it's much easier to just throw in a bag and go if you're traveling and such! It also probably won't annoy the baby as much as a nighttime sock might. Thank you @leslie1331!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has anyone had to get an odd sized changing pad? We got a crib with the changing table attached and it came with a pad that fits it but it's so thin it's basically nothing. I've been looking for a regular pad that's just shorter in length and I found 1 that's $46! I even looked at the cribs manufacturer's website thinking if they make something you'd think they'd make the accessories to fit it, but no luck. Any other ideas of where to look?
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Anyone have experience with the baby k'tan? I just got one and I saw good reviews but I don't know if I'm overdoing it with also having a ring sling and an ergo.
  • becbec28 what size do you need? I'm in Canada, so can look here in case we have odd sizes (I had the same issue with my first and found a cheap European sized one).
  • homemake I have to be honest, I didn't love mine and ended up selling it. I will be getting a ring sling this time instead. Although the baby k'tan is "easy" in that is doesn't wrap, I found the fabric kind of uncomfortable/stiff. That said, I am not a huge baby wearer, so I'm sure the fabric would have softened over time.
  • @homemake the k'tan basically sucks after 15lbs. It's really easy to use and the fabric wasn't rough at all. I mean it was jersey knit how much softer do you get?  

I got a ring sling this time because I'd like it to last more than two months and hoping I can nurse in it. I don't think you need both but I may end up hating  a ring sling. 
  • @Shawlls I need one that's 27 inches in length. The width is standard but standard length is 30-32 inches. 

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• @FerForShort the length looks good but it looks like it's as thin as the pad that they sent with our crib :(

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• X-post from deals thread. ..

If anyone is looking for a swivel glider,  BRU is having 50% off this one right now.  

• @becbec28 I had the same issue last time. The one that worked was from a Dutch company called Luma. They are 29" long. 
  • homemake said:
    Anyone have experience with the baby k'tan? I just got one and I saw good reviews but I don't know if I'm overdoing it with also having a ring sling and an ergo.
    I don't so much see it as over doing it, more like having options! We have a baby k'tan, ergo, and a moby. I plan to use the ergo while out shopping or something where I'll be up and walking. The k'tan and moby will be for sitting down things like church when I won't want to let her out and play "pass the baby" but will need to be sitting with her.
  • For anyone who bought a mobile on etsy or something similar, were you able to find an arm/attachment that works well?  My mobile only has a small ring to attach...  but I have no idea what will work best to attach it to the crib.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MLRocha you could also hang it from the ceiling. Major hardware stores would sell a ceiling hook (typically for hanging plant baskets). 
  • Can anyone recommend a cosleeper?  I feel like that's our best bet.   We have a king sized bed,  and having baby in the middle sounds like a good thing for early on.  With the others we had a pack and play by the bed,  but with the room the way it is, it would be awkward. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Partyof6? We got a snuzpod, its a cosleeper but the sides are like a mesh & can be up or down. Ftm so havent gotten to try it out yet but after looking into them this is the one we liked the best bit was between this and the chicco
    cosleeper.

• leslie1331leslie1331 member
    edited December 2016
    @Partyof6? One of my friends has used this and she really likes it!! They have a king sized bed also and a small dog and everyone fits! 
  • Are car seat canopies safe/necessary? I get the concept of keeping baby bundled up....but wouldn't a winter pram, hat, gloves with a blanket tucked over her after she is securely fastened in be just as good and safer? 
  • @BlondePeanut a canapy/cover has been a wonderful convenience for us. It's so much faster to put baby in seat, tuck a blanket around them, then zip the cover than to try and add more layers of clothing or even more blankets. It's important to keep the wind from hitting their face. (Especially since you live in a cold climate) The wind can take the baby's breath away, and they will gasp. It's important to remember that in the summer too if you roll the windows down. Make sure to check that the wind isn't taking their breath away. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Are car seat canopies safe/necessary? I get the concept of keeping baby bundled up....but wouldn't a winter pram, hat, gloves with a blanket tucked over her after she is securely fastened in be just as good and safer? 
    The car seat lady says you've should only use ones that go over the seat (like a shower cap). If it is between the baby and the car seat it's not safe. Here's a good article about keeping babies warm in the seat:

https://thecarseatlady.com/warmandsafe/?utm_source=babylist&utm_medium=email&utm_content=newsletter
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BlondePeanut too many layers on baby affects the safety of the carseat buckle tightness in the event of an accident. Using a carseat cover like @CurlyCupcake21 mentioned is much better
  • Do I need some sort of contraption to weigh the baby at home? Currently our only scale is a kitchen scale. 
  • Do I need some sort of contraption to weigh the baby at home? Currently our only scale is a kitchen scale. 
    I actually never weighed DD. We just kept tabs at her doc appts. 
    You can go see an LC who can do weighted feedings, you can probably find a breastfeeding support group that will do weighted feedings. You'll go to your pedi any time from 2 days until 2 weeks after birth and then pretty regularly after that. I wouldn't get one. 
  • Has anyone used a boppy lounger? Did you kiddos like it or was it just kinda meh? 
    With my DD, I was able to rent a medical grade infant scale from the hospital. I only rented it for 2 weeks but it helped ease my mind. 
  • @Xstatic3333 Totally agree with @PerraSucia regarding not tracking every little thing unless you really think there is a concern. You will develop good mommy/parent instinct. Also, not sure how it works where you ladies live, but here we have Public Health Nurses that will come to your house in the first couple of weeks (and bring their scale), and then there are also weekly community drop-in programs (with different discussion topics), and there is a scale there too.
  • Unless your baby isn't gaining weight I would not track weight or feedings because it is just another thing to make you insane. 
    This. 
    Dont borrow trouble. 
  • Shawlls said:
    @Xstatic3333 Totally agree with @PerraSucia regarding not tracking every little thing unless you really think there is a concern. You will develop good mommy/parent instinct. Also, not sure how it works where you ladies live, but here we have Public Health Nurses that will come to your house in the first couple of weeks (and bring their scale), and then there are also weekly community drop-in programs (with different discussion topics), and there is a scale there too.
    Thanks everyone! I'm normally a go with the flow person and have no desire to track weight just wasn't sure if we were supposed to. What a great service @Shawlls! We don't have that (my city may for certain populations but not mine) but I do have a doula who will come by once and our pediatrician is just down the road so not too worried.