January 2016 Moms

Meal idea

just curious what you all make for LO? I'm doing BLW and just get so stumped for ideas. I know they should eat what we do, but usually i have a bowl of cereal for breakfast or some nachos for dinner when hubby works late so she doesnt always eat what we do. And i don't always eat lunch. So just wondering what everyone feeds their LO. Lunch is my main head scratcher! 

Re: Meal idea

• I'm stumped for lunch also because I usually have a cold cut sandwich. Breakfast is yogurt 99% of the time and dinner is what we eat but on the days I don't cook, I'll usually make her some pastina. I need new ideas! 
  • Meat balls cooked in sauce, grilled cheese, toast with hummus, English muffin, diced up fruit, veggies, and cheese, shredded chicken, pasta. I'll usually do a breakfast food when I'm stumped or want to keep her fairly clean. I'm a big fan of breakfast for dinner when my husband isn't home. 
  • Loading the player...
  • KFrob said:
    Meat balls cooked in sauce, grilled cheese, toast with hummus, English muffin, diced up fruit, veggies, and cheese, shredded chicken, pasta. I'll usually do a breakfast food when I'm stumped or want to keep her fairly clean. I'm a big fan of breakfast for dinner when my husband isn't home. 
    Great ideas! And breakfast for dinner is the best! Thanks!
  • @cali1710 you're welcome! It's pretty much my favorite but DH gets sick of it 
  • My LO loves beans, so we do a lot of those haha. I also usually make some type of soup/chili every week and he loves that. Hummus and avocado are go tos as well. I feel like he eats the same thing over and over! 
  • mestokes said:
    My LO loves beans, so we do a lot of those haha. I also usually make some type of soup/chili every week and he loves that. Hummus and avocado are go tos as well. I feel like he eats the same thing over and over! 
    Me too! thats why I'm trying to get new ideas. I feel so boring and repetitive. Good idea with soup and chili!
  • l4rkl4rk member
    edited October 2016
    Squash is in season so my LO eats a ton of those in lots of varieties. I just chop in half, scoop the seeds and then toss it in the oven 45-60 minutes before dinner. 

I also just try to plan our meals to include things she can eat because she eats so healthy and it helps us be too! Haha. I found that coming up with a meal plan for the whole week before Saturday shopping  helps us stay on track and avoid impulse junk, and it's actually reduced our grocery bill quite a bit too. Without meal planning we are way more likely to impulse eat crap like Kraft Dinner or Panago that isn't baby friendly.

ETA: our lunches are often dinner leftovers (squash!), lentil soup, or whatever random fruit or vegetables I can find.
  • @l4rk when you feed her soup, do you spoon feed her or just take stuff out of the broth and let her feed herself? 
  • cali1710 said:
    @l4rk when you feed her soup, do you spoon feed her or just take stuff out of the broth and let her feed herself? 
    It's Amy's soups that we share, so I just spoon out the lentils and let LO pick them up with her hands! 
  • Just thought I would refresh this thread. Anyone doing anything new or exciting for meals? I'm still so stuck on lunches. What do you guys do for lunch?
  • I'm definitely stuck on lunch too! LO wants nothing to do with baby food anymore and I think my daycare person (home daycare) babies her.  I need ideas to deversify what I send and that's also easy for daycare to deal with.  My daycare person always has trouble feeding her and I think it's cause we did BLWing at home. The hardest part for me is worrying about salt in everything. I picked up some Kidfresh chicken meat balls and nuggets since the sodium is so much less than adult food. I tried both and they're pretty yummy. So lately I'll send that with peas or carrots. I'll also send some sort of combo of baby yogurt, cheese, cheerios, fruit, plum organic fruit bars, or no sugar added apple sauce.
  • My LO is also done with baby food. I need ideas too! Tonight I made lasagna for dinner which she liked but she has a few pieces and then she's done with it. I then give her a snack which she has no problem eating. I feel like she is more into her snacks then actual food. Anyone else have this issue?
  • My LO eats anything. Lasagna is one of her fav's but I find the acidic content of tomatoes gives her a bit of a diaper rash. For lunches we do a lot of avocado and cracker and berries. Sometimes ill do grilled cheese but I get paranoid about her getting constipated because I usually give her toast for breakfast. Other things I've done: homemade pizza on a whole wheat wrap (use a tiny bit if pizza sauce but also worry about the salt, and a bit of cheese), leftovers if we have any, Ive premade chicken meatbAlls and given it to her with some veggies, cottage cheese. Does anyone give raw veggies? If so how do you serve it? I just feel so boring with lunch and repetitive. 
  • We do oatmeal every morning, and lunch is almost always a combo of dinner leftovers  (meat/veg) and some fruit and maybe some cheese. LO loves avocado so I'll dice up half of one for him, also loves roasted sweet potatoes or squash. and apparently black beans are a hit tho they result in a lot of farting haha. the other day we had burritos for dinner and I just  gave love all the ingredients individually (beef, avo, rice, beans, cheese) and be absolutely devoured it! we're a pretty standard meat/veg/carb dinner house so LO just gets appropriately chopped versions of whatever we have. he loves rice and quinoa. I always keep rice or quinoa cooked and frozen so if I'm stumped I'll mix some packaged fruit/veg puree with one of those and there's a reasonable meal. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I feel like I'm always rushing to put something together for lunch because it's also our main "out of the house" time of day between his two naps. I often give him things that others have mentioned: avocado, cheese, applesauce (the only "puree" he still likes), raspberries, toast with a little olive oil or very thinly spread peanut butter, turkey deli meat, cuties, banana, and/or leftovers from dinner the previous day. Oh and pears. Boy does he love pears! 
  • We also do a lot of what other people have said here.
    For breakfast: Oatmeal, organic "purely-O's" (like Cheerios), baby yogurt, egg yolk, toast, blueberries
    For lunch: LOTS of chicken (LO loves chicken), avocado, grilled cheese, quesadillas, a variety of veggies, sweet potatoes, squash
    Dinner: Whatever we're having! We eat a lot of Mexican food (we're in San Diego, so Mexican food is a way of life here). So, LO eats a lot of beans, rice, meat, and tortillas. We also grill a lot, and like I said, LO loves her meat.   
  • I made LO a ham grilled cheese yesterday, just cut up in tiny squares. She gobbled that up. She also loves meatballs, nuggets, and meat in general. Also quesadilla with beans/meat cut up. I'll roast butternut squash or sweet potato chunks (with coco oil and a dash of cinnamon). She loves all fruits. My struggle is veggies (aside from the aforementioned), she won't eat veggies so we resort to a pouch when I feel that she needs it. 

This is also a favorite: broccoli cheddar quinoa bites

Her new thing is wanting to eat whatever I eat. So I'll sit on the floor with food and just feed her whatever I'm eating and she'll climb all over me between bites (we love honey nut cheerios together).

Any veggie ideas please send my way! 

@cyanope - yep, carne for dayssss ;)
  • @grkgdss00 those broccoli cheddar quinoa bites sound delicious! 
  • KFrob said:
    @grkgdss00 those broccoli cheddar quinoa bites sound delicious! 
    I agree! I think I might make them, and if LO doesn't eat them then I will!
  • They sound so good!! It says "serve immediately ". Can you freeze/refrigerate leftovers or are they best eaten fresh? 
  • @cali1710 yes I refridge for a few days and re-heat as needed. My husband and I like them too :) Just break apart in pieces for babe, but they are soft in general.
  • Does anyone make any sort of muffin for their LOs? Just trying to think of some new things for her to eat!
  • Omg I know it's like the same thing everyday except for dinner. I make banana muffins/bread that she likes.  I'm stumped for lunch .. talk about repetition! 
  • Omg I know it's like the same thing everyday except for dinner. I make banana muffins/bread that she likes.  I'm stumped for lunch .. talk about repetition! 
    Right! So repetitive! When you do banana bread do you just make a normal recipe or do you try and eliminate sugars? i make it all the time but am afraid to give it to her because theres a lot of sugar in my recipe lol 
  • @cali1710 this is the recipe I use, I use a 1/2  cup and I also add a little cinnamon:

2 to 3 very ripe bananas, peeled1/3 cup melted butter1 teaspoon Pinch of salt3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you would like it less sweet, 1 cup if more sweet)1 large egg, beaten1 teaspoon vanilla extract1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

So hard to think of new things to give them! 
  • @JanuarysBaby1 thank you! So hard to keep things interesting!  
  • This week, I just got a big help on this front. Birdie moved up to the one-year-old room (a little early) at day care. Once they're there, they get to eat school lunch. (There is a private school on campus.) They just cut it up really small and then serve it. If something is completely inappropriate at this age, they have some substitutes. Tuesday, she had pizza, peas, and vanilla wafers, and yesterday, she had mini ravioli. So at this point, she's eating better than me. I forget at this age that other than honey and milk, I don't have to avoid anything. Just make it size appropriate.
  • Any new meal ideas ladies? I still struggle with lunch. It's either grilled cheese, Pastina, cream cheese and jelly or leftover dinner, if I have any. I did make stuffed French toast that she really seemed to enjoy! 
  • I have to keep reminding myself that LO is older now and can handle more foods! I made her a quesadilla with some ground turkey w the low sodium taco seasoning in it, some veggies, and a ton of cheese and she ate a ton of it. 

I also finally made the quinoa bites and LO won't eat them!!! DH and I LOVE them though. I think it might be the texture since she's not a fan of rice either. 
  • We do a lot of leftovers still, but LO really likes a toasted flour tortilla with refried beans on it. The kid will eat 2 in a sitting.
  • Soups (already made from the store) are my new favorite go to
  • Peanut butter sandwiches cut into small strips and grilled cheese cut into strips and open up the pieces once its cooled. 
  • Reviving this thread for snack ideas. We have gotten by with just cheerios to hold him over between big meals, but now we are transitioning to one nap, which means we definitely need an afternoon snack and I am stumped. All I can think of that is filling is peanut butter toast. And to be perfectly honest he doesn't seem to prefer peanut butter. He also has egg and dairy allergies so this is becoming even more difficult for me. Thanks for any ideas you have.
  • @Cricket99
    What about upping the Cheerio game? Instead of just cheerios, could you transform that into a trail mix with raisins or cranberries, and some small nuts?
    We also do a lot of fresh fruit--usually berries, or sometimes half of a banana. We also do diced peaches, pears, and mandarin orange fruit cups.
    Other things that seem to be a big hit with us are some turkey lunchmeat (the all-natural,) and Babybel cheese. (I know this one wouldn't work for you.
    My sister always made hummus sandwiches for my nephew, too, which is a good protein source.
    I also plan on giving this a shot this weekend...
    https://www.superhealthykids.com/crunchy-roasted-green-peas/

• I didn't go back to reread but David likes raisins, string cheese, and lots of different fruit for snacks. Lately kiwi has been a hit. He doesn't drink a lot of cow's milk but for us that's a snack time drink too. He does like peanut butter a lot so that's a good snack for us. Good luck! I'll be following this for more ideas too. 
  • @stephanienjer and @mamadcb thanks for the suggestions. We already eat sooooo much fruit, hummus sandwiches might be a good idea though. I haven't tried raisins yet, but that's a good idea. I keep forgetting to get some kiwi. This is a good jumping off point. 
  • For those that don't have diary issues, we buy those cheese sticks or snack size cubes. My son loves them, especially the stick version. unfortunately he wont touch fruit or cereal at the moment. not even bananas so we resort to the applesauce and fruit pouched from the store..he loves yogurt too but only the stoneybrook brand 
  • We do a lot of fruit, cheese, yogurt and graham crackers for snacks.  Meals are usually pasta or soup of some kind.  He mostly refuses to eat meat unless it's disguised in something else, so that's a fun challenge.
  • Mary has been eating a lot of cuties lately. She also loves:  cottage cheese, cheddar cheese cut up into small cubes, beef tenderloin in tiny pieces, peas,  cheese sandwiches, scrambled eggs, strawberries, and muffins. I found a lot of different  healthy muffins for babies on Pinterest, some have spinach and things like that in them. None of them have any added sugar and if they do I just substitute banana or apple sauce in the recipe. 
  • @SBH041815 I hadn't thought of substituting applesauce for sugar in recipes! LO loves banana bread and muffins so I may have to try this. Do you find you have to bake the muffins a little longer with the extra moisture?