March 2015 Moms
Options

When to turn the car seat

My daughter is still using a rear facing car seat. The doctor said not to turn it until she is two but some people say go ahead and turn it because she's over the weight requirement. Just wondering if anybody has turned the car seat or are you still waiting?

Re: When to turn the car seat

• Options
    We are waiting until 2 weight limit or not. Our son has very long legs and can already kick the seat but  Most of the research I have read says to keep them until  they are two. But I am a first parent and very paranoid about everything. Haha. 
  • Options
    I agree, my little guy's legs are already getting a bit scrunched but I am also going to wait until he's 2. He likes kicking the seat anyway lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor actually told us to turn him when hes about 20 months because he is really tall - said it is dangerous if he can push his feet on the seat and use it as leverage so that his straps are no longer positioned correctly. We have yet to do so but just throwing it out there.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    We turned ours when she turned One. She hated being in her car seat since she was born.  She would scream and I would feel bad for her so my husband would sit in the back seat and she would calm down,  she just wanted to see someone's face lol.  And it didn't get better over time so we looked into car seats and found one that was for her weight for front facing and switched.  She's a little chunker so that might be  be why she was at the weight for her front facing.  But follow your instincts.  Don't let anyone put you down you know your baby best. 
  • Options
    The car seat lady (link) has some really good information.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The AAP agrees that waiting until age 2 is safest, preferably age 3-4 is best!  The physics and science behind it doesn't lie.  It is a myth that the feet hitting the back seat is unsafe, very untrue.  Your child is more likely to have broken legs in a forward facing accident.  Even if it wasn't true, broken legs is better than a broken neck.  Look up internal decapitation.  Car Seats for the Littles is a great resource to use as well.  My 20 month old is still rear-facing and will continue to do so until she outgrows her seat.  It will rear-face her until she's 45lb, so it will be a while.  I'll find you some good links.  

https://csftl.org/rear-facing-car-seat-myths-busted/

https://csftl.org/why-rear-facing-the-science-junkies-guide/
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!