October 2016 Moms

Re: Weekly Randoms 11.21.2016

• I posted this in the FB group, but I just discovered an excellent stain treatment for baby poop stains- Dr. Bronner's Castile soap! I thought we were going to have to throw away 2 sleepers because I couldn't get the stains out, but Castile soap worked like magic.
  • Does it help with stains that are already washed in? @ball4768
  • Loading the player...
  • @AllyTheKid Yes! These sleepers had been through the wash several times with other stain treatments (blue Dawn and then Shout).
  • We just had a major shart mid-diaper change. Nothing like a before dinner bath real quick!  But of course he was starving so the poop covered onesie is sitting in the sink while he eats. Gross. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Question for Mom's that are exclusively breastfeeding: Do you also pump and freeze your milk currently? 

I have only been breastfeeding and haven't pumped at all yet. Not sure when I should start pumping and introducing a bottle? I go back to work the beginning of February and the day care we chose requires I have breast milk in bottles for the entire day, even if I plan on stopping by to breastfeed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My baby is 6 weeks old today and I started pumping when she was 3 weeks. I pump on one side while the baby nurses on the other (I do the left, then switch to the right at the next feeding). I typically get 2-4 ounces per side. My baby only eats on one side at a time though, not both. I didn't introduce a bottle until last week (5 weeks old) and will be going back to work in January. I plan on using a bottle 1-3 times a week until then to ensure that she will be use to it and take it. 

When i I was researching when to give a bottle, I read to introduce it between 4-6 weeks otherwise they might refuse it.
  • @Pupatella I'm 5 weeks PP and EBF. I've been pumping minimally and only have about 8 oz frozen and have pumped and given him 2 bottles over the last few weeks. I plan to increase pumping this week and a little more each week to build a stash. I figured I'd give myself a month or so to establish a supply and a good bf relationship and then increase pumping. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Thanks @fitlady21 and @MRSCORKER!! Good to know that EBF without pumping is fine this early on. :)

• Anyone know if it's normal for a baby to sound congested? LO sounds like she has snot in the back of her throat or maybe way up in her nose, it happens at night when she's been on her back a while. She'll also randomly make weird squeaky sounds sometimes, which I took her to the doctor for last Thursday. Doc checked her nose , lungs, etc and said everything was clear. I used saline and the nose frida on her this am and that seemed to help some.  Having a LO is great, but my anxiety over every little thing is out  of control lol. 
  • @kmyers228 My baby is congested like that too. Saline drops and NoseFrida is about all you can do, as far as I know.  :/
  • @kmyers228 Ditto on the Snot. I haven't used the saline yet. He hates having it sucked out so I know he's gonna freak out with the saline. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• mothernorthmothernorth member
    edited November 2016
    @kmyers228 That describes Johnny perfectly. Nose drops all the way. Can't STOP it, but it helps.
  • Okay, yea I will continue to saline and snot suck. Luckily, so far she doesn't seem to mind the drops or the nose frida, hope it stays that way. Poor little babes and their tiny airways :/
  • jek2016jek2016 member
    edited November 2016
    My fix said the squeaky sound was because her eustachian tubes aren't fully developed yet (no newborn's are) and it'll go away with time. 

• I shared this on FB but in case anyone here needs a reminder that we're all doing the best we can and that it'll get better. Here you go!

https://www.coffeeandcrumbs.net/blog/2014/7/25/when-love-feels-heavy
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • I just want to say that I still read the Bump (trying not to abandon you guys entirely) but just as on Facebook, I mostly just "like" things because I hate typing with one hand. Maybe I should get a new keyboard because the letters are worn off some of my keys which makes it harder (but it still works fine, so I hate to spend the dough...)

• Lurker here. Anybody else dread nighttime?  My baby isn't the best sleeper but it's not enough for me to feel the way I do when it starts getting dark. Maybe it's the getting dark early thing. During the day I'm good but when I think about nighttime it's not a good feeling. 
  • Lurker here. Anybody else dread nighttime?  My baby isn't the best sleeper but it's not enough for me to feel the way I do when it starts getting dark. Maybe it's the getting dark early thing. During the day I'm good but when I think about nighttime it's not a good feeling. 
    I was like this for the first few weeks. I had a lot of nighttime anxiety! Talk to your doc. It turns out mine was related to the "baby blues" and eased up by the end of week 3. I don't know how far PP you are but you don't have to suffer!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Yea I had nighttime anxiety and baby blues for about 3 weeks as well, it's like as soon as it was dark I'd get upset about something random and be a crying mess for a little bit and also just more anxious, and we have a great night time sleeping baby, so I think it just happens.

I'm now super anxious about a new thing, DH has come down with a cold and I'm so afraid baby is gonna catch it! he has bad allergies so we thought it was just that for most of the day, so he carried on with feeding LO and holding her. Well now he feels like crap and it's definitely not allergies . He's sleeping on the couch tonight and gonna have to not hold her or feed her til he feels better I guess :/ FX baby doesn't catch it
  • My LO is 4 weeks old and I have not started pumping yet.  There is just too much other stuff going on for me to even think about pumping, cleaning bottles and pump parts, trying to get him to take a bottle, ect.   I have one of the Milkies milk saver things and am going to give him a bottle with what I collect in that probably tomorrow just to introduce a bottle to him since he has been exclusivly BF.    good luck! 
  • I've been pumping randomly since 2 weeks. I've started a small freeze stash. I did start introducing a bottle at 2 weeks. He gets a bottle a day. With DS, I had stopped giving him a bottle for like 2 weeks and he started refusing it. I wasn't able to go anywhere and was only able to leave him with my mom or DH for 2 to 3 hours. He would rather starve than drink the bottle. My mom would have to feed him with a medicine dropper. It sucked! So I'm avoiding this since I have to go back to work this time around.
  • We had some bfeeding troubles at first (too painful) and so introduced a bottle pretty much right away, but DH did a bunch of research and got something called a "Munchkin latch" bottle that's supposed to mimic the breast- it doesn't pour into the mouth like most conventional nipples. Luckily we managed to do EBF at around 1 week of life but we occasionally give him a bottle now of breast milk, like 1-2 times a week and he seems okay with it. I have DH do it so DS can get used to it and it's adorable watching them. 

Does anyone's baby cluster feed at night? He'll wake up every 2-3 hours in the night until about 4am when he will wake up and want to eat every 30 minutes to an hour until I give up at 7am. Whenever I try to wake him up to eat some more (in the hopes that he will sleep longer), he cries like I am torturing him. Good thing these tiny humans are cute is all I'm saying...

WORF: I did not come here to admire the scenery. 
    DAX: If you say so. I guess we should just go home. 
    WORF: Well maybe. I would not be so hasty. 
    DAX: I take it the scenery has improved? 
    WORF: A few months ago, when I was commanding the Defiant on a scouting mission in the Gamma Quadrant, we encountered a protostar cluster, a swirling mass of colour set against a background of glowing clouds and burning sky. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, until now. 
    DAX: I've got to take you on vacation more often. 

• Is anyone else's TB app not showing a bunch of threads anymore? like this past Weds HDBD thread is missing from mine now and some others...
  • It's not just the app, it's like that on mobile too
  • I thought I was going crazy when I didn't see some of the recent threads.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was wondering what happened to the layout of the threads too, how bizarre 
  • kmyers228 said:
    Is anyone else's TB app not showing a bunch of threads anymore? like this past Weds HDBD thread is missing from mine now and some others...
    I thought they had just unpinned the sticky posts at the top. But if there are others missing, I agree that's weird. 
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Need to vent... Absolutely hating my PP body, can't fit into any clothes except pj's and my maternity shit which is now awkwardly fitting. went and got my hair done last weekend and the girl didn't highlight it light enough and then she left my bangs really long and they were in my face, so I went to  a walk in place to have them trimmed and they totally ruined them. Now I not only feel gross cause of my flabby body, I despise my hair.  I have to go back to work next week and need to get a whole new wardrobe, uggghh. 

Also this may be selfish of me but it bothers me that my family no longer cares about how I am, they only care about the baby. Like I carried her for 10 months, got ripped open to have her, then just get overlooked. 

Ok rant over.
  • @kmyers228 ::hugs:: I'm feeling pretty body negative right now too. I lost a fair amount of weight the first two weeks, then started gaining. I'm working out and dieting now, but I never had such trouble with my weight with my other two pregnancies. My entire winter wardrobe is size 3/4, and we just had to go by me some new pants to wear to court yesterday I'm up to a size 8... I don't think I'm even going to be able to fit my warm clothes this year, so I feel like I'll be spending all my time in the house since we don't really have the money to be spending on clothes. 
    I'm also having a terrible time because my step-son's bio-mom got caught with drugs and got SS put in foster care the day before Thanksgiving, she told CPS a bunch of lies, and now our home is under investigation before we can have him back. Big long story there thst I don't feel like tyoung out right now, but FI is heartbroken.
    And last but not least, aunt flow has returned. Boo.
  • Thanks @AllyTheKid. Yea I can't afford to buy much either, sucks. I only gained around 15 lbs during pregnancy and lost it within 2 weeks but for some reason pre-prego stuff still doesn't fit and my stomach is a deflated balloon at this point, ew. 

Sorry to hear you guys are dealing with all that with your SS's mom, I hope it all works out soon and that she can steer clear of everyone if she doesn't have her life together.

• @AllyTheKid I'm so sorry to hear about your stepson! I hope you all are able to see him soon. @kmyers228 When I went back to work after DD, I continued to wear my maternity pants for a while. I went to places like Ross and TJ Max to buy loose-fitting tops and open cardigans to wear while my body continued to adjust. I'm hoping that will work out this time as well. I can't believe that my maternity leave will be over in less than 2 weeks. 
  • Ditto to feeling icky about my body! My maternity clothes are too big and awkward fitting but I'm no where near fitting into my normal clothes. I was a 6/8 pre-pregnancy but at my heaviest a few years ago, I was a 14/16. I'm TERRIFIED to get on the scale. Having to start my weight loss all over again is my worst nightmare. I'm feeling really defeated. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I think I'd feel slightly better about things if my bangs weren't hacked off, I understand my body won't be great 5.5 weeks later so I thought getting my hair done would make me feel a little bit better, but no. DH is like oh don't worry you can get back into a routine soon, but it was hard enough to lose weight and go to the gym before a baby so we'll see. I don't really have a choice though, I'm the MOH in my sister's wedding in July so gotta feel better before then.
  • I also feel so - blah - about my body. I've lost almost 20 pounds since giving birth (I gained about 30 pounds during pregnancy). You would think I should feel great about the weight loss so far, which I do, but my body is just not the same as it was pre-baby. My stomach looks like a deflated balloon, so I can force fit my pre-pregnancy shirts, but they show off my stomach and make me feel self conscience. I cannot fit into pre-pregnancy pants at all. And the maternity pants don't fit right at all. I am wearing yoga pants or sweat pants constantly as they are the only pants that are comfortable, especially after a c section. Also, my feet and ankles are still swollen, which I am told by the doctors should go down soon. Because of the swelling, I don't fit in any shoes other than my crocs. It's just frustrating.

Also, what happened to our board and all of the threads. I feel like threads have disappeared or have been reorganized in a way that is so difficult to find anything. :( I miss all of the conversations and how active this board was.

Quick off topic rant: My Mom was here for 8 days. While I greatly appreciated her cooking, cleaning, and dusting, it was exhausting having her here. I am up constantly throughout the night as I am breastfeeding. She wakes up at about 8am, and expects me to visit with her, eat breakfast with her, etc. If I tell her I want to nap during the day she says okay, but keeps talking and wanting to visit. She'll follow me into my bedroom and want to chat. It's so hard to tell her to just leave me alone as she is visiting from out of town, and I really do appreciate her help. She wants to visit all throughout the day and goes to sleep at about 9-10pm, just in time for me to start my night shift. UGH!!! She left yesterday, and I took a nap today and oh man did it feel so good. My Mom wants to come back here in a couple weeks to help out again, and I am dreading it.

• @Pupatella I know what you mean about feeling like you have to entertain your mom while she is there to help you. I'be had that problem for the past 6 weeks, between my mother and my in-laws. It's exhausting, even though the help is appreciated. 
  • I'm having my own little pity party over here.... LO is 6 weeks and entering that phase of major development which is great, but it also means he cries all day long. He forever wants to be held (and only by me) so I'm struggling with getting any kind of routine. Between trying to parent and be present for DS1 and the incessant crying I feel like I'm having an episode from Groundhog Day every single day. My H works nights so he's gone for bed time and all of that chaos and I feel like a zombie. I spend my days trying to make sure our boys don't wake up H while he's trying to sleep during the day, but I can barely get a nap. And since LO is so attached to me, I let him sleep on our bed (I know, I'm a horrible mom) until his first feed then fuss with him in his bassinet all night.... dS1 was never like this. He LOVED sleeping and being swaddled and sleeping on his own but this kid is just not satisfied if he isn't touching me. Please tell me I'm not alone in all of my frustrations!?!?!?
  • @christinab0722 If co-sleeping makes you a bad mom, I'm a bad one too. The way I see if, we have to sleep too and if the baby won't sleep unless he's touching you, then that means you have to co-sleep. I see nothing wrong with that. I tried making my LO sleep in the bassinet and he was not having it. I don't think I should have to fight with him all night. We're trying various things to help him sleep in it and I'm confident we'll figure it out eventually but until then, we do whatever we have to do. The first few months it's just survival mode. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @allythekid I hope the CPS stuff is straightened out asap so you can have your son back. I'm sorry his mom had to go and make things worse for you. 
  • @kmyers228 @ball4768 @ashleyp625 Thank you, We go to court tomorrow at 8:30am with his caseworker to see when we can get him out of foster care. I hope they press criminal neglect and abuse charges against his mom... this is a nightmare.