January 2016 Moms

Dropping to one nap

just curious whats "too young" for one nap. Everything I read says they drop down to one nap between 12&24 months but my LO seems to fight her last nap. She usually has a 2.5 hour morning nap and sleeps through the night. Her second nap sometimes takes an hour for her to fall asleep (not crying but chatty and sometimes a bit whiney) and will sleep for 45ish min (sometimes an hour or so). When she does finally wake up shes messing up her bedtime. Example she wakes in the morning at 630, nap is from about 930-12, her second nap is around 3/330 but she wont fall asleep until 4/430 and if it is an hour nap she wont go to bed at her usual 630/7. Is 9 months too early to drop that last nap? 

Re: Dropping to one nap

• mamadcbmamadcb member
    edited October 2016
    I don't know! We're still on two naps here. But one thing I've read is to either cut the morning nap short if it's preventing the afternoon nap, or to push it back by 15 min at a time until it IS the afternoon nap. I think if they only do one it's "supposed" to be in the afternoon... but I don't know why, ha :) Good luck!
  • Brynlee fights me to even take one nap! I'm so envious right now! She went to bed at about 10 last night, woke up 3 times during the night, got up at about 8 am, and only took ONE half hour nap today...

And this is totally the normal for her. This child does not sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What are naps? 

haha just kidding we just finally switched over to two consistently but I would say do what works for you and your babe! Have you tried one nap to see what happens? If it's working for you I say go for it or give it a try you can always change it back! 
  • We are on 2 naps here and I don't plan on changing until 12 months when DS goes down to a one nap schedule at daycare.
  • I would just try to not make her take the afternoon nap and see what happens!! I feel like all the typical "rules" we read are just guidelines so she may be ready. My guy consistently takes 45 minute naps but he falls asleep on his own and wakes up happy. Everything I've read says that's not a restorative nap, so he definitely doesn't fit that mold. As long as she's averaging 13-15 hrs in a 24 hour period, I think it's fine! 
  • DS only takes one nap most days he's at daycare.  It's usually about 2 hours.  I think lack of naps is one of the biggest reasons he's up at 4:30 in the mornings.  He still doesn't two naps when he's home with us and seems much less cranky in the evening
  • Koen is fighting naps everyday. I'm lucky if he takes a nap. If he does it's usually for maybe 20 min. This mamma needs sleep! 
  • We are still at 2 naps, but getting the second one in is a nightmare. If he doesn't get a second one, even 20-30 minutes, it's 2 hours of a screaming overtired baby at bed time...
  • Cricket99 said:
    We are still at 2 naps, but getting the second one in is a nightmare. If he doesn't get a second one, even 20-30 minutes, it's 2 hours of a screaming overtired baby at bed time...
    See thats my problem. Second nap is a struggle and if it ends up being a short nap shes miserable because shes still tired. If we miss it shes still miserable. Like she doesnt cry and fuss with the second nap. She just lays there chatting for over an hour, and then naps for 30 min. Some days she fall asleep quickly but its 50/50
  • Two naps were going great last week, all of a sudden the past few days he is fighting tooth and nail for that second nap.
  • Anyone down to one nap yet? Graham has been fighting his first nap for the past week. When he finally does nap (after lots of kicking and screaming) it's usually not for very long - an hour max. I decided to try one nap today and he went down like a dream at 1 and is still sleeping 1.5 hours later - that never happens! I'd love to be on a one nap schedule so we can get out more/longer but don't want him to miss out on sleep
  • It depends on the day for us. I'd say we are 50/50 on the second nap.   For us it really depends what time she wakes up and how long her first nap is. Her first nap is usually 2 1/2 hours but if it happens to be an hour and a half then she will get a second nap in the afternoon but if she wakes up at seven and then she has a 2 1/2 hour nap there's no way she will have a second nap.  Days she only has one nap we try and keep her very occupied late afternoon and depending on how she is we either put her to bed at the same time or half an hour early. She's kind of in a weird stage right now where she still sometimes needs a second nap but timing wise it does not work out. But I agree I would love to be on a one nap schedule 
  • 2.5 hour nap and sleeps through the night? I'm lucky if she naps once and she does not sleep through
  • My LO is on a napping strike, well sort of. She was taking 2  1 hour and a half naps but Since Saturday she takes 2-3 45 minute naps! Maybe I  should try just napping her once to see how long she naps for? But after being up for 3 hours she starts to get cranky so I can't see her napping only once a day.
  • 2.5 hour nap and sleeps through the night? I'm lucky if she naps once and she does not sleep through
    She sort of sleeps through the night.. she wakes up but she puts herself back to sleep. Sometimes it takes an hour of her chatting to herself to go back but we don't get up for her. Your LO sometimes doesnt nap at all?! You poor thing.. is she happy at least or clearly tired? claire gets so clingy when tired so I feel for you if yours is that way all day! 
  • Am I ahead of the game or seriously behind considering that Brynlee has never taken more than one nap?! This child is such a handful! Her naps are usually so short (maybe 20-30 minutes) and she wakes up so cranky! Last night was honestly the first night she slept through the night in probably close to 6 months AND she's napping right now! Growth spurt? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I could run a marathon today...
  • @BarrettJ89 you poor thing!! I couldn't imagine. We will say you are ahead of the game!
  • Violet has short cranky spurts if she doesn't nap. She might get a short 45 minute nap for me. She naps great while I'm at work for my parents. She's mostly a very, very happy baby. Her sleep is just crap. She's just a master at fighting sleep. Monday night we hardly slept. She has a cold. The only way she would sleep was on the couch, laying on my chest. And i love the snuggles, it makes me nervous and was not restful sleep. She went to bed at 5 Tuesday evening. Woke about 5 times and slept until 8 this morning. Aside from sleep she's an easy baby. She's usually patient and can play sitting in her jumparoo or her high chair so i can get chores done.
  • She's really remarkably happy. You would never know She doesn't nap
  • She's really remarkably happy. You would never know She doesn't nap
    Well at least that good! Nothing worse then a miserable baby And no break from it 
  • Well last night wasn't terrible so the one nap may work for us sometimes if he's fighting the first one too badly. He was tired this morning so today will be a 2 nap day. Thanks for the responses! 
  • Ahhhhh! Brynlee slept 12 hours Tuesday night. Glorious. She even took a 2 hour nap! Wednesday night? ONE HOUR. She was just miserable, rolling around, pinching, screaming... can't hold her, can't put her down, damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of night. I'm so exhausted... Ugh, I really hope this is related to the food allergies and that we can reach a "fix" soon.
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited November 2016
    Ahhhhh! Brynlee slept 12 hours Tuesday night. Glorious. She even took a 2 hour nap! Wednesday night? ONE HOUR. She was just miserable, rolling around, pinching, screaming... can't hold her, can't put her down, damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of night. I'm so exhausted... Ugh, I really hope this is related to the food allergies and that we can reach a "fix" soon.
    Great news about the 12 hours and 2 hour nap! Its the worst when they don't want held but dont want to be put down. Ughh! I hope everything ends up sorting itself out!
  • We went through a phase of only 1, one hour naps for a week. She was overall pretty happy (shes such a happy baby usually), but I could tell she was tired. Thank goodness we are back at 2 naps a day now. Often one of them is only 30 minutes, and the other ranges from 30-90 minites, never more, so I wouldn't be surprised if LO goes to 1 nap soon. LO has never been a good napper... oh well. 
  • I'm in the same exact boat. We're at 2 naps and sleeping 11-12 hours at night. But sometimes the first nap will be long, which then stretches the next awake time until 33-/4pm which then interferes with bedtime. But if she doesn't get a 2nd nap she's cranky as heck by 530pm and def can't stretch to 7pm bedtime! UGH!
  • Has anyone tried dropping to one nap yet? I'm going to try tomorrow. This is day 6 that she refuses her second nap. Well she had a second one yesterday but her first was only 20 min at my parents so I don't count that. I'm going to try keeping her up until 11am (its usually 10) and then see how it goes. The stretch between nap 1 and bed is getting too much for her.. 
  • DS only has one nap on days he's at daycare.  he usually starts it around noon and sleeps for two hours.  We start bedtime between 6-6:30.  He has recently started handling the one nap schedule better, but still happy does two naps on the weekend.
  • @cali1710 what was the stretch between nap 1 and bed originally? Just curious. My LO currently only takes 3 40 minute naps. Her last one for the day is about 3 and her bedtime routine starts about 730. So there's about a 4 hour stretch between last nap and bed. 
  • My baby just cries instead of naps now doesn't matter if he's taking one or ten. It's a real fun time haha 
  • @cali1710 what was the stretch between nap 1 and bed originally? Just curious. My LO currently only takes 3 40 minute naps. Her last one for the day is about 3 and her bedtime routine starts about 730. So there's about a 4 hour stretch between last nap and bed. 
    Well before, she would have a second nap around 330 but it would be until 415. At that point we would start bedtime routine around 715 and she would be asleep by 8. But now that she wont nap her second nap shes up from about 1230/1 until 6. Which I'm ok with a 630 bedtime, she wakes up at 630am regardless of when she goes to bed so earlier means she gets more night time sleep. But going from 1pm to 6/630 is Way to long for her I think. Shes just been so tired these past few days. Not sure if its weather or getting dark earlier. Maybe the 10 month regression has something to do with her last nap? Or maybe shes just ready to drop it. This morning she woke at 8 so i thought perfect! Ill put her down for a nap at noon and she will be fine until bed. Nope. 1030 she was rubbing her eyes and putting her head on my shoulder. So she was having a nap 2.5 hours after she woke up which she hasnt done in months. She goes 3.5 hrs generally. 
  • JanuarysBaby1JanuarysBaby1 member
    edited November 2016
    They are so hard to figure out lol right when you think you have a routine down then they switch it all up. My LO usually only stays up between naps about 2.5 hours too. Sometimes 3 but that's rare. 
  • So no luck the last few days. I cut her first nap short yesterday in hopes she would nap for a second. She did have nap #2 but for 30 min and she was so miserable when she woke up. So today I just let her nap however long she needed. She woke from a nap at 1 And was asleep by 630 with no issues. She started getting fussy around 5 but other then that she was fine. Hmmmm! Babies!!! 
  • @cali1710 same here! The last 2 days, Graham has napped from 11:30-1:30ish and has gone to bed around 7. I've tried putting him down for his morning nap earlier and he fights it tooth and nail. I thought he would be an overtired mess at bedtime, but it surprisingly hasn't been too bad
  • Well today was weird... LO fought her nap all day until 4:30, had a 30 min nap, and that's it. She was in a fairly good mood most of the day too. I'm not ready for one nap, let's hope this is just her going through a leap. 
  • How's everyone doing with naps? My guy was taking pretty regular easy to go down two naps for a while (by a while I mean maybe like a week or two lol) and then the past 4 days his morning nap has lengthened and he's refused his second nap big time. I think I'm just gonna let him sleep as long as he wants in the morning and then just keep offering the second nap in case he needs it. If he keeps refusing for a while consistently I guess I'll try to push the morning nap back a little since now it usually starts by 9/930 He's been tired and cranky at bedtime but actually not as crazy as he's been in the past after refusing his second nap haha What's everyone else's babies up to?! 
  • @kaym6 Claire was the exact same. She kept refusing her second nap and is taking a 2.5 hour nap. Usually when she wakes from her nap the second nap is too late to have anyways so we just push her until bed. We managed to get her morning nap to be around 10/1030 so she will sleep until 1230/1 and then she's usually asleep by 630pm-630 am. I figure shes ok with it so far so I'm going with the flow!  Of course if her first nap is short or shes overly tired Ill offer the second nap but 95% of the time she doesnt want it. We tried waking her after an hour and a half and giving her a second but she was so miserable so we just kept the first as long as she needed. 
  • We are at 1 good long nap (usually 1.5 hours) and one short one (30 min). Maybe one or two days a week she refuses one of her naps. She has started waking up earlier and earlier over the past couple weeks (goes to bed at 7/7:30 and went from 7:30am wakeup and now she wakes up at 5:30 ahhh), and I'm afraid it's a sign she wants to drop a nap. 
  • @fishee333 my girl does the same. Why do you think it's a sign she wants to drop a nap? Just out of curiosity cause I know nothing hahaha. My girl wakes around 7am usually but lately it's been 530/6. I just give her a bottle and rock her for a minute and put her back down and she goes back to sleep until 7/730. But she's been hit or miss on the afternoon nap lately. I still offer it though.
  • @grkgdss00 going through a nap transition is listed as one of the reasons for waking early on this website: https://www.weebeedreaming.com/my-blog/early-wakeup-help

I try nursing her that early and she's happy to eat but she still doesn't want to go back to sleep. The next thing I'm gonna try is putting her to bed earlier... Ill have to wait til Thursday though because I work til 7 both tonight and tomorrow. 
  • Just thought I would revive this thread and see if anyone is soley on 1 nap a day? Gina has been fighting her morning nap (about 1030) big time. I mean screaming and jumping in her crib! I've been trying to see if she goes down for that nap for a few days but it's the same thing every time. I give it awhile to see if she eventually falls asleep but nope she doesn't. I put her down for what should be her second nap about 2:00 and she sleeps for about an hour, hour and a half. I don't know if I should keep trying that morning nap or just scratch it and just put her down for an afternoon nap?