July 2017 Moms

Cloth Diapers

Snyone else cloth diapering? I use cloth diapers on my 1y.o and looking forward to getting. For cloth veterans I currently have 45 to 50 diapers i am planning to buy anout 35 more, do you thibk that will be enough to was 1 to 2x a week with 2 in cloth.

Pic of my fluff butt

Re: Cloth Diapers

• Yep. Just ordered some more newborn fluff today. I'm not sure how many one size I have but my 2.5 year old should be out of diapers before this little one needs them. 
  • I only have 25 diapers so I wash every other day. I just plan to double the stash and keep the same wash routine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • jlripl said:
    Yep. Just ordered some more newborn fluff today. I'm not sure how many one size I have but my 2.5 year old should be out of diapers before this little one needs them. 
    How many newborn diapers  do you have? I did sposies last time, but I want to buy a used newborn lot this time.
  • I did cloth with both my girls. I think I may use diaper service this time to save myself from the laundry! I do have quite a stash in my garage though. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • @GoogleMD 18 fitteds and 7 covers. and 24 all in ones.  I got rid of all my prefolds because my husband wouldn't use them.  we prefer the all in ones. 
  • Is cloth diapering possible if you work part time and have a family member helping?  The idea sounds great for the environment, I'm curious how feasible it would be for us.
  • Definitely plan on cloth diapering. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot of trial and error, so we will probably buy a couple different kinds to see what we like. Hoping for mostly all in ones so we don't have to keep buying different sizes. We likely will only have one child, so I also want to buy something I can hopefully resell.
  • I have about 60 diapers right now,  but I had both of my girls in them at the same time and was doing laundry every 3 days.  Remember ,  the older kid will use less diapers than a newborn will,  so your new one will need a slightly larger stash than your older one. Luckily my girls are now potty trained,  so my diaper stash is just for my newbie . 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cloth diaper via delivery service here.  Mostly because they changed our garbage pick up to every other week.  I'm not going to house poopy diapers for two weeks at a time in July.  No effing way, no effing how.
  • Lolo427Lolo427 member
    edited December 2016
    @GoogleMD ?!?!?! Hiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!

We have a stash of like 12 NB I think,  definitely are going to want to pick up more as I remember doing laundry everyday.  Uh uh, don't have time for that, maybe I'll go for 12 more.

ETA: So out of our full stash of like 40-50, some of the AIO do say that they can do newborn (or the weight would be as light as like 7 lbs),  but I felt they don't sit right. But, maybe I will grab a couple AIOs that I know can go across the spectrum with 2.
  • FTM considering cloth diapering here!! I've heard/read 24 diapers is enough to start if you're planning on washing EOD like I am...is it? How many newborn size should I buy? Also do any of you use disposables at all (nighttime, child care, etc.)?
  • Hi! FTM here as well like @kat0607...curious about what the benefits are of cloth diapering or why people do it. I am genuinely interested because I really don't know anything about it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm getting 24 all in ones. I know I'll have to do a lot of laundry, but I would rather do that then buy even more. First time mom though, so I guess I'll find out if this works. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • So, for me at least cloth was more money upfront but far cheaper in the long run. With #2 on the way, I will have to spend virtually nothing on diapers unless I choose to for confidence or whatever. My daughter gets little to no rash, and they are 'customizable' so I don't need to worry about leaks. Also, from an environmental standpoint I'm a big fan of a lower carbon footprint and less chemicals having contact with my girl. Also, cute to boot! So many colors and patterns. 
  • All three of my sisters did cloth diapers. I just don't think I can. I am sure they will try to convince me between now and July. I also just can't see DH doing it, so I know if we did it I would be changing/washing pretty much every diaper. 

They are so stinking cute though. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We did cloth for our twins the first time around and I'm planning to again for this one.  My reasons for doing so were primarily cost and reducing waste.  That being said, we only did cloth during the day at home and used disposables overnight and if we went out/traveled.  We had nannies for the first 2 years and they used the cloth diapers while with the girls.  It was part of our routine so they did it too.  

My preferred type is covers with inserts so that they can be reused for multiple changes if they aren't wet/dirty.  I have a stash of probably 30-40 covers in Thirsties, Flips, and Best Bottoms.  I liked those brands because they are adjustable to fit from like 6-36 lbs.

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

Pregnancy #1, IUI, MMC, D&C Feb 2012

Pregnancy #2,IUI, MMC, D&C July 2012

Pregnancy #3 IUI, BFP 10/25/12 - Two heartbeats on the U/S!

Twin Girls! C (6/24/13) and E (6/24/13-5/20/15)

Surprise BFP! 10/23/16, EDD 7/2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @LimeKrazy so there are inserts? Ok- so it's not like you're washing a diaper every time the baby does something, which sounds manageable. 

Also....ummm about how many diapers a day (or changes since we are talking about cloth) does and infant go through? Clearly I'm a total newbie. Lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @irishrose54 Yep there are inserts in the covers.  I have a lidded trash can with a laundry bag next to the changing table.  Dirty inserts get put in the laundry bag.  The cover gets wiped out if it's not dirty and used again.  If it is dirty, it goes in the bag too.

I don't remember exactly how often we were changing since it's been a few years but I would guess probably 8-12 per day as newborns. And no worries because we all started out as newbies!  Glad to help if I can :) 

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @irishrose54 you will be my hero if you cloth diaper your twins haha
  • I would really like to - but DH and everyone else thinks I'm nuts.  I've started doing research, but there is sooo much out there (and so many options) it seems a bit overwhelming at this point.  But it has been interesting to see my internet ads change over time as I have been Googling so many different things (strollers, car seats, wraps, etc.).  Google is enabling my crazy "research"...
    * TW *
    Me: 34  DH:38 (Married Sept 2014)
    TTC since May 2015
    IUI #1: July 2016 - BFN
    IUI #2: August 2016 - BFN
    IVF #1: Stims 10/21/16, ER 11/02/2016 (5 follies, 5 fert),
                ET 11/07/2016 (2 blast xfer, 3 frosties)
                BFP 11/11/2-16!! (4dp5dt) Beta #1 (7dp5dt) = 30  Beta #2 (9dp5dt) = 66  Beta #3 (11dp5dt) = 130

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I felt overwhelmed when I first started looking into it too. With a friend's advice, I opted to go for All in Ones and pocket diapers. (AIO are covers with liners sewn in so they don't require any prep; pockets you stuff with an insert that is separate). I used disposables for the first two months or so so I never bought newborn size. I also use disposables at night. We have 25 and I wash every other day. It takes about 5 minutes to sort/ get laundry started, another 5 to hang to dry the next day, and then 2-3 to put them away. One of my friends machine dries hers and that saves some time too. It really is manageable!

One suggestion is that you consider purchasing some used diapers if you're not sure what kind you want. Then if you feel compelled you can get new ones in your favorite style. The mom who sells them to you will be a good resource for how to use them and a good wash routine too! Just make sure the elastic on the legs isn't all stretched out. 
  • I would really like to - but DH and everyone else thinks I'm nuts.  I've started doing research, but there is sooo much out there (and so many options) it seems a bit overwhelming at this point.  But it has been interesting to see my internet ads change over time as I have been Googling so many different things (strollers, car seats, wraps, etc.).  Google is enabling my crazy "research"...
    FWIW I was insanely intimidated but honest- it's not nearly as rugged and intense as it's made out to be. Initially prepping can take time and the occasional stripping, but it's so second nature now that I don't bat an eye. Maybe if you talk about money saved DH would be more inclined??
  • @LimeKrazy thanks :)
    @Rae. It's that tough eh?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @irishrose54 Even though my sisters have all done it, I don't know THAT much about it. But I know it's definitely a lot of work. I don't mean to scare you from it, because I think it's awesome for those that do it. But with twins, you will be doing a load of diapers every day. especially early on when they need to be changed more often. 

• When my first daughter was born in made and sold hybrid fitted cloth diapers,  but stopped once my I got pregnant with my second due to exhaustion. If this one is a boy,  I will definitely make him some in cute boy prints.  I started cloth diapering for the environmental impact and money saving,  but fell in love with the cuteness of them! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mamadcb thAnks for all the great info!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @irishrose54 We had twins.  It is totally doable!

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is cloth diapering feasible if little one will be in childcare? Both my DH and I will. E back to work roughly a month after he/she is born. Pros/cons of cloth?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Lolo427 DH isn't saying no - he is my biggest supporter.  I think the person that will refuse is my mom.  From what I've read, it doesn't seem like that much more work.  Like @mamadcb suggested, I may get some second hand to decide what will work best for us. 
    * TW *
    TTC since May 2015
                BFP 11/11/2-16!! (4dp5dt) Beta #1 (7dp5dt) = 30  Beta #2 (9dp5dt) = 66  Beta #3 (11dp5dt) = 130

• @Lolo427 DH isn't saying no - he is my biggest supporter.  I think the person that will refuse is my mom.  From what I've read, it doesn't seem like that much more work.  Like @mamadcb suggested, I may get some second hand to decide what will work best for us. 
    Ohhhh Gotcha, got confused with the 'thinks I'm nuts' thing. 

For people who who are looking for a couple resource links, I'very used these:

https://www.kellyscloset.com/Cloth-Diaper-Information_ep_34-1.html

^^ also a great store that has a points system 

and:

https://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/cloth-diaper-information/

• Is cloth diapering feasible if little one will be in childcare? Both my DH and I will. E back to work roughly a month after he/she is born. Pros/cons of cloth?
    Yes! my little man has done home daycare and daycare facility bith were totally on board to do cloth. Just make sure to ask when you tour.

Also you will want to do AIO or pockets. they can not resuse any part of the soiled diaper, so you cannotnuse covers. 

The cost was a big one for us. we were spending over $100  a month in disposibles the first few months. i spent about $300 on my stash total, so it quickly paid for itself. the laundry is honestly not bad even when I had a small stash ans was doing it every other day. there are BST groups on FB and you can get great deals on diapers. I have some that are like new that came out to $7/diaper, but are $24 retail.
  • Thanks @Lolo427, I will check those out.  Yes, DH thinks I'm nuts - but is still by biggest supporter :)  He's "on board" with whatever I want...but there is still some eye rolling.
    * TW *
    TTC since May 2015

• @mamadcb I suggested buying some used ones from a family friend, as their daughter is potty training right now, and will almost definitely be done by the time we need them. My husband was a little grossed out by the thought of using someone else's diapers. In your experience, do they retain any evidence (stains, marks, etc.) of the previous baby? I think I could convince him to try it if they looked new, but I'm not sure. I haven't brought it up again since the first conversation.

@Knottie1430947838 The preschool in which I work allows cloth diapers. As far as I know, the little girl I referenced above is the only one that uses them, but we do have a system in place for them. We require that you bring in a personal pail for the used diapers, and we cannot reuse them throughout the day, even if they have inserts, so just make sure to have a good supply to stash at the school. I second the advice to ask at your tour, as it may be different from facility to facility, but I would venture to guess that you will be welcomed to bring whichever kind you prefer.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • https://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/08/mother-load-everything-you-need-to-know/

I found this blog post ^ really helpful when DD was born.  It explains the different types of cloth diapers, favorite brands, how many you'll likely need, etc.

The best advice I got was to buy a few of different types of brands and then see what you like and what fits baby.  I love Grovia AI2's and Rock n green detergent.

Also- ain't no shame in using disposable for the first month to get your bearings!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sehp8b I know you asked the question to @mamadcb so sorry for stepping on toes if I am!  I have purchased inserts second hand.  We have a natural baby products store here and they do a semi annual re-diaper sale where I've found some great deals!  Depending on washing rituals some diapers may retain some staining just like clothes can.  But usually parents that are reselling do their best to get the stains out.  When I get pre loved fluff, I make sure to do wash with only those diapers and add bleach to the load to make sure they are good and clean before using them and mixing them with the rest of my stash.  I know that other mommas do a process called 'stripping' when they get pre loved fluff as well.

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone have suggestions for reputable places online to find used cloth diaper supplies? I loved cloth diapering, but gave my entire stash away years ago.
  • akbride09 said:
    Does anyone have suggestions for reputable places online to find used cloth diaper supplies? I loved cloth diapering, but gave my entire stash away years ago.
    I've only every bought used from Facebook groups . 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Rae. said:
    All three of my sisters did cloth diapers. I just don't think I can. I am sure they will try to convince me between now and July. I also just can't see DH doing it, so I know if we did it I would be changing/washing pretty much every diaper. 

I'm a STM and still debating on cloth diapering this coming up baby. I honestly just don't think I can?! I'm already so busy and can't fathom having to rinse/wash/dry diapers on top of everything I already don't get finished?! lol I'm hug in recycling and reallllly wanted to but I think I'm already at my sanity limit. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    Rae. said:
    All three of my sisters did cloth diapers. I just don't think I can. I am sure they will try to convince me between now and July. I also just can't see DH doing it, so I know if we did it I would be changing/washing pretty much every diaper. 

I'm a STM and still debating on cloth diapering this coming up baby. I honestly just don't think I can?! I'm already so busy and can't fathom having to rinse/wash/dry diapers on top of everything I already don't get finished?! lol I'm hug in recycling and reallllly wanted to but I think I'm already at my sanity limit. 
    Honestly I  don't   really even  notice the extra load, u fell the extra 15 min of work is worth saving $100 a month.
  • @LoveLee85 I was worried about that too but for me it is just an extra small load every other night after DD goes to bed.  Once you get a routine you hardly even notice it!

BabyFruit Ticker