Infertility
Options

Lack of response from RE

Does anyone else experience this?

I barely hear from my nurse let alone my RE. This is now my second cycle and after not responding well to the first IVF cycle (only 5 follicles matured, 4 eggs removed, 2 that survived 24 hours and the other two deteriorated later), I agreed to complete another cycle and I asked her specifically for more support, I was told 'absolutely, email me your concerns and I'll call you when I've reviewed those daily charts'. I am now experiencing the same slow response, am extremely concerned and just want someone to talk me through the what they are seeing.

If I email (it's only been twice) they are forwarded on to the on-call nurse to call me back, who don't have any more information than I do and just tell me to ask the physician I see for my monitoring.

The Drs doing the u/s monitoring each morning always differ and are so busy going from one patient to another that they don't have time to give me any more information.

Im just feeling a little lost and wish that the experts I am trusting with this process would give me a little more guidance as to what is going on, I actually feel like I've learnt more here on the boards than from the experts.

Anyone experiencing anything similar, or is this normal behavior?

IVF#1 Sep 2016 (4 eggs retrieved, 2 matured, 0 transferred due to DNA breakdown)
IVF#2 Nov 2016:  Estrogen &  Ganirelix.   Stimming: Loprun, Follistim, Menopur. (7 eggs retrieved. 3 matured. 0 transferred due to PGD results)

IVF#3 Feb 2017: Estrogen priming. Menopur, Follistim and HGH

Re: Lack of response from RE

• Options
    I feel the same as you, you're not alone. I'm not to IVF but doing IUI - and my clinic is the same. All nice people but sometimes I want a doctor, not always a nurse or resident, one that actually looks at my overall progress not just that day. I left to with a prescription and no direction when to start it or how much. They rush so much I didn't even remember to ask. Had to call and leave a message to get a response! I push them - always asking for my levels, why something seems different from last time etc but same, feel like I learn way more on these boards! 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    Yuck I think that you're right to be upset by that treatment- these procedures cost so much money anyway, without the RE acting like they care I would imagine you feel like you're just a money making machine for them :( that was my biggest worry entering this process.

We haven't done an ivf or IUI cycle yet but we've been going through various procedures and surgeries with our RE for about 6 months now. He personally calls me with results, after hours and on weekends, and always remembers every single thing we've talked about, even small personal details. And this clinic is the biggest one in south Florida so it's not like he's just sitting around. This process sucks and is heartbreaking but I feel like he really cares and it's made it a lot easier. I think everyone deserves that kind of treatment.

Like I said though, i haven't done an Ivf and I know from listening to you guys that things get a lot more chaotic during ivf and iui cycles, with everyone in the group doing it all at the same time, and sometimes daily testing so maybe it's just harder for the REs in those situations?

thinking of you. Thank goodness for the support from these boards.

xoxo

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry this is happening to you but from everyone I've heard IRL and for me, personally, my doctor is barely in the picture. My nurse, though, has been great so far- always responds to my calls- and I do call on average once a week with some question or torment I'm dealing with. She's very patient. My gyn on the other hand I really am done with. But that's another story!
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Options
    I'm sorry it's like this for you.  The place we did our IUIs with was like that. We saw the re for the initial consult, and then for all the IUIs, it was someone different.  I felt like I was herded through like cattle, to be honest. The re I see now is completely different. They are smaller, only two RE's. I saw one or the other every monitoring appointment. Can you schedule a phone consult with your re to discuss how unhappy you are with the current arrangement?  
    Me:32 DH:36
    Me: DOR, poor egg quality, MTHFR
    DH: MFI
    TTC since 3/2014
    2015: 3 IUI's-BFN
    12/2015: 1st IVF cycle-(9 follicles retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI, transferred 1 excellent and 1 good embryo on day 3)-chemical pregnancy
    3/2016: 2nd IVF cycle- canceled (3 follicles retrieved, 3 mature, all fertilized w/ICSI, 1 fragmented, 2 arrested) 
    3/2016: RE suggested donor eggs- taking an ivf break and to supplement 
    9/2016: 3rd ivf cycle-cancelled due to early ovulation
    Oct./Nov 2016: 4th ivf cycle- EPP-AFC:5, retrieved 10, 10 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 blastocysts biopsied and frozen. 3 CCS normal embryos
    1/9/17: transferred 1 embryo-BFP 1/16
    1/18/17: beta #1-104
    1/20/17: beta #2-174
    2/2/17: first u/s, heartbeat of 107 at 6w1d
    7/20/17: baby boy born at 30+3 via emergency c-section 

• Options
    @natalie4oscar I also was at a place like this where I felt like we made poor decisions because of limited contact with the doctor. I switched to a smaller clinic where all ultrasounds are done by my doctor or the lab tech. I would complete this cycle and then look for a new clinic. Or call you doctor directly if possible and ask her to speak about your questions. I agree with a previous poster that IVF is bad enough without that hassle, and it's hard to have gone through a bad cycle already and to be nervous about your next. I hope this one turns out better and you don't need any more IVFs!
  • Options
    natalie4oscarnatalie4oscar member
    edited November 2016
    Thank you ladies for all of your feedback and so sorry to those that are feeling the same way.

We are all going through one of the most traumatic events in our lives and all we need is someone, the expert that we are paying, to provide us with support and give us updates on what is going on.

My daily monitoring results just get updated to a portal, so I don't even get a phone call. Plus, I don't know what the blood level numbers relate to and just want someone to walk me through it 

It's an isolating enough experience as it is, we should at least be informed by our doctors 

big hugs to you all and wishing you well on this journey xx

IVF#1 Sep 2016 (4 eggs retrieved, 2 matured, 0 transferred due to DNA breakdown)
    IVF#2 Nov 2016:  Estrogen &  Ganirelix.   Stimming: Loprun, Follistim, Menopur. (7 eggs retrieved. 3 matured. 0 transferred due to PGD results)

IVF#3 Feb 2017: Estrogen priming. Menopur, Follistim and HGH

• Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    edited November 2016
    @natalie4oscar - I really hope you are able to get them working with you or find a new RE - hang in there and keep asking questions. I hope it will all be worth it for you and this IVF round works.  FX for you in your journey. :)

Edited to make a typo correction. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    Reading all these responses, I have realized we have a different style clinic. Ours is a chain with 5 locations, but each location only has 1 doctor. He does all of our procedures personally. I wouldn't ever meet or talk to another doctor, simply because he's it for my location. I wonder if there's something around you like that? I hope you don't have to worry about finding a new one though and that this cycle works!! 

((hugs))

• Options
    My RE has two clinics he does cycles with so he's in and out. I live an hour and a half from my main clinic. But I saw him at least once with each of my cancelled cycles, twice before my retrievals with both of my full cycles. His partner did both of my retrievals but he did the transfers. Anytime he's in the office when I have an appointment he comes by and at least says hi. I talk to one of the nurses in person after each u/s to go over the plan. The one of the nurses calls me after every visit to go over my labs and talk about the plan again. If I call or send an email they get back to me quickly. When my beta was negative in May the nurse called me and then my RE called me from out of town to make sure I was ok! I'm extremely pleased with my clinic. If I were you I might consider moving to another clinic.

TTC for 8 years.
    Started in 2008 with timed intercourse, ovulation testing, no official monitoring.
    OB-GYN recommended Clomid and timed intercourse, attempted for 6 straight months.
    First surgery June 2009 (OB-GYN): diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis and large hydrosalpinx on right tube.
    Second surgery (July 2009, RE performed this): Right tube had to be removed, lots of adhesions removed.
    Attempted "trying on our own" as per RE recommendations, unsuccessful 5-6 months.
    HSG performed December 2009: left tube open.
    February 2010: started Femara and timed intercourse, attempted 6 months, no BFPs.
    Took a break for a while.
    January 2011: started IUI process, ovaries never properly responded to medications, 6 failed attempts, never actually completed an IUI.
    Took 2012-2014 off due to depression and frustration (side note: did complete grad school to become a nurse practitioner- great distraction).
    2015: started seeing RE again, went through tons of testing and HSG, left tube now blocked, only option is IVF.
    September 2015: Started first official IVF cycle, cancelled in October due to large cyst on left ovary.
    October 2015: started on birth control for 2 months.
    December 2015: attempted to start another IVF cycle, cysts on both ovaries on initial ultrasound, left was huge, cancelled to aspirated cyst.
    January 2016: Cyst back, surgery for ex-lap, cyst and adhesions removed.
    March 2016: Attempted second IVF cycle, estrogen way too high, cyst back, cancelled again.
    April 2016: Third attempted IVF cycle, 7 eggs retrieved, 2 mature (but not great) embryos made to fresh transfer, neither implanted.
    May-Sept 2016: Break to regain sanity.
    Sept-Oct 2016: Attempted fourth IVF cycle, very successful, cyst still on left but we ignored. 7 mature "great looking" eggs retrieved, 4 mature embryos made it to day 5 transfer. Transfer aborted due to large amount of endometriosis fluid in uterus.
    FET of 2 embryos completed on 12/12/16.
    12/22/16 1st Beta 179 BFP!!!
    12/24/16 2nd Beta 449!!
    EDD 8/30/17 with two girls!!!!!

Audrey (4lb 8oz) and Olivia (6lb 6oz) born 8/10/17!!

• Options
    My clinic is a chain but my branch only has one doctor. She also has one on call weekend in Philadelphia. I mainly see her or the nurse practioner for us. I can call or email her directly and she always gets back to me personally. She has called me up Til 9 pm at night. The people there always ask about my life and my partner. It's a shame not everyone doesn't receive answer based on the cost of these procedures. 
  • Options
    I have not done IVF but multiple rounds of IUI. My last clinic I saw my RE for every visit and he did all my ultrasounds. I also had a specific nurse who was amazing, any questions or concerns I had she got right back to me. In fact she still emails me to this day to see how I am and I have not been there for more than 2 years. Unfortunately we have since moved and will be starting treatments again with a new clinic which I hope is as good as the last.
        This is such a hard process you need to have someone you click with and who you feel is responsive to your needs. I would push more any if they don't give you what you need than I would look into another clinic. GL
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    I would also search for a new clinic. My RE was fantastic. He called personally many times and did so much research calling clinics all over the country to try and figure out my specific issues. Whenever I called the office with a question someone got back to me the same day. Everyone at the office down to the front desk people were so compassionate. There are great offices out there...if they aren't meeting your needs I would shop around. We spend way too much money to be frustrated!
  • Options
    I agree with previous posters, if I were in your position I might look for other RE options in my area.  Last thing you need is any additional unnecessary stress, this process is so hard as it is!  Sending hugs.
  • Options
    When I first started with my RE, I only saw her. Lately, I have just had the NPs doing my ultrasounds/calling with results or treatments. I have been disappointed with the office organization and I actually made an appointment for a consult with another RE in my area. I just think that if I am paying out of pocket and since this entire process is so stressful, I should be with a doctor that makes me feel confident.

I think you should get a second opinion - even if only to be sure that your current doctor is the one to go with.