March 2017 Moms

Numbness in thigh

I thought about posting this in the symptoms thread, but it's freaking me out enough to pose the question to the general population. On two separate occasions I've experienced a pins and needles sensation/numbness in the outer thigh of my left leg after standing for a long period of time. Has anyone else experienced this? Sciatica maybe?
DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Numbness in thigh

• I've had this since 14 weeks!  It's normal but i don't think it's the same thing as sciatica (I googled and asked my doctor at the time and I don't really remember the cause, just that it's not anything to worry about).  It doesn't happen to me when I'm walking, really, but it happens to me when I stand up without walking for any period of time.  It's only in my left leg, and it still happens, although I just have to sit down for a couple of minutes for it to go away.  It started around the time I started having horrible back pain, but the back pain went away and this remains, unfortunately.  
  • I wouldn't worry about it as long as it goes away after you've moved around a little.  I haven't had it in my thigh, but I get tingling all the time when I haven't moved in a bit -- assume it's from the extra blood flow / sitting or standing just right. And is a common problem the farther along you get because of added swelling 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey there--I've got it going on too. it's called meralgia parasthetica, and it's pretty much just reverse sciatica. A nerve in the front is being compressed by extra weight/pressure on your ligaments, causing the weird sensations. Mine alternates between numbness, pins and needles, and sometimes completely unsatisfiable itching. If you're a yoga person, triangle pose (reaching toward the opposite leg) sometimes helps me. otherwise, my doc says it should resolve pretty quickly after baby is born. Kind of annoying, but as long as there's no swelling or rash, nothing to worry about :)
    Me: 30, mild DOR
    Him: 31, totes fine.
    IUI #1: 5 follicles, cycle cancelled :-/
    IUI #2: 1 follicle, BFP, chemical
    IVF #1: 12 follicles, 9 eggs, 1 fresh 5dt and 4 on ice. BFP, beta #1: 326, beta #2: 841 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's a huge relief to read that others have experienced this. The first time it happened, I was wearing some jegging style maternity pants and thought maybe they were cutting off circulation, but that wasn't the case when it happened again yesterday. It went away when I started moving around, so that was good. I didn't experience this with DS, but pregnancy is filled with oh so fun surprises like this, I guess. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Its ok

Happens to me too

• Hi! Lurking from April.. I've had this off and on for the last few years. Pregnancy made it come back.. joys of pregnancy. Regular visits to the chiropractor fix it - but for those who don't want to go that route there's a really weird trick I was taught in physical therapy. You use a sink plunger, and gel (aloe works for me) and suction where your hip meets your leg joint (on the side of your hip where it's most wide). They would have me suction straight out, and then around in circles, and to the sides. If it's not working, sometimes rubbing the area (not directly on the joint, but around) with one of those massage balls first helps. It sounds weird - but it's totally saved me.
    Hope you don't mind me butting in. :)
    Me: 29 DH: 31 Married: 9/17/2014
    1st child, 2 fur-babies
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker