June 2017 Moms

Help!

I have had severe pain in my shoulder/arm/neck for 2.5 weeks. I have not been able to drive and therefore, have not been able to go to work or school. I had an MRI so we know what's wrong and I start physical therapy tomorrow. My OB okayed a cortisone shot but then after I googled it, I got three other opinions, all of which were big fat "NO"s!!! I don't trust my OB anymore, obviously. Cortisone is a category D in the first trimester. Anyway, as anyone with any real pain knows, Tylenol does absolutely NOTHING. I have tried: heat and ice, Tiger Balm, Biofreeze, lidocaine patches, epsom salt baths, we even bought a new mattress. Does anyone have any magical pregnancy safe pain solutions? Thanks! 

Re: Help!

• I feel like you explored so many different pain options. I had severe cramping at first, but my only comfort was warm baths with lavender and chamomile. The only other thing I can think of is maybe massage? Not sure if touching it makes it worse for you though. 
  • I feel like you explored so many different pain options. I had severe cramping at first, but my only comfort was warm baths with lavender and chamomile. The only other thing I can think of is maybe massage? Not sure if touching it makes it worse for you though. 
    My boyfriend is actually a massage therapist so he has been working on me, I forgot to mention that. I've explored everything that I can think of, it's severely impacting my life. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Not trying to cast doubt on your research, but just wanted to confirm that your search yielded results that differentiated between different steroid formulations. Just meaning systemic steroid treatment vs. cream vs. injections. From what I understood, the injections act locally and have very little risk for the baby. Were you other opinions from other OBs? I hope you find some relief!
  • Not trying to cast doubt on your research, but just wanted to confirm that your search yielded results that differentiated between different steroid formulations. Just meaning systemic steroid treatment vs. cream vs. injections. From what I understood, the injections act locally and have very little risk for the baby. Were you other opinions from other OBs? I hope you find some relief!
    My aunt is an ob/gyn who owns her own practice and she was one of the other opinions. One came from a friends mom who has been an ob/gyn for 40 years and the other was not an emergency room surgeon, not an ob. 
  • Whould chiropractic help? When I have arm/neck/shoulder pain, chirp tactic and massage worked wonders. Also, some essential oils can assist as a topical pain reliever, but some are not considered safe to use during pregnancy. 

I hope you you are able to find some relief!
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Maybe see a chiropractor, acupuncturist or massage or sports massage therapist. Also, rather than deem your OB as incompetent, you should ask questions about why he/she is recommending this treatment for you and ask to know the risks and benefits as they relate to your pain experience and your state as a soon-to-be mama! In any case, I hope you find relief soon!

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• You could try acupuncture as PP said.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • slssls member
    edited November 2016
    I have three slipped discs and a degenerative disc disease diagnosis in my back, and I've been going to an osteopath. He suggested reading the book 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back, Neck, and Shoulder Pain by Robin McKenzie. The "first aid" exercises helped immensely when my back went into spasm this summer and I couldn't hardly walk. It is not, of course, a replacement for medical advice, but I did both the back and neck exercises while continuing to see my osteopath and I feel they made a huge difference. Now when pain flares up, I do the "first aid" exercises along with my strength building and feel better within a couple days.

I haven't had shoulder pain, so I can't attest to that, but this guy does seem to know what he's talking about.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Physical therapy can do wonders for pain. What was your diagnosis from the MRI?
  • Thank you all for your suggestions! 
    My doctor wanted me to do dry needling, but the physical therapist won't do it because there is a slight risk associated with pregnancy, she said it's like a .0000001% risk  or something ridiculous but she still won't do it. I asked about acupuncture, she said that would be up to acupuncturist. 
    Physical therapy and massage seem to be helping somewhat. 4/6 nights I have been able to sleep for more than three hours total, so that's a huge improvement! My boyfriend is a massage therapist so I've had him at my disposal, haha. 
    I have been incredibly worried about falling a month behind in school which I think was adding to the pain, as we carry stress in our shoulders/neck. I have worked it out with my professors to do all of the work from home and still get A's so that was a huge relief, although now I'm stressed about doing a months worth of work in two weeks before the semester ends. 
    Hopefully I continue to feel better and can start enjoying being pregnant instead of angry that I can't take medicine! 

@NurseSHS13
    The MRI showed a ton of scar tissue build up on all rotator cuff muscles, as well as a tear in the subscap. I also have an unfused bone that should have fused by the age of 16, I'm 27. The doctor thinks there is a pinched nerve somewhere, he just doesn't know what's pinched or where/by what. He also diagnosed me with tennis elbow. He said normally he'd prescribe painkillers and tell me to take NSAIDs, but alas, I'm pregnant and can't take either!