July 2016 Moms

November Randoms

Re: November Randoms

• @arhodes6 We stopped swaddling a little while back because she kept consistently rolling on her side and I was paranoid she would roll over. We did the Halo swaddles with the arms out and she transitioned very well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm always hesitant to do tummy time because I feel like it makes her spit up so much.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• KASG said:
    I'm always hesitant to do tummy time because I feel like it makes her spit up so much.

Stuck in box
    Same! So much spit up. Although I also find tummy time to be helpful if he's got a stubborn burp that I can't get out any other way
  • @KASG- I try to do tummy time right before I feed her or right before nap time. If I do tummy time within an hour of feeding, DD2 spits up too. 
  • HeathereaddyHeathereaddy member
    edited November 2016
    what's your opinion on gate checking car seats? We're traveling home Tuesday and the plan was to gate check LO's car seat but I'm second guessing doing this bc I read that in flight it could get tossed around or handled roughly thus making it no longer safe. We could rent a car seat but who knows if that was involved in an accident or what crap it's covered in from previous use. 
  • what's your opinion on gate checking car seats? We're traveling home Tuesday and the plan was to gate check LO's car seat but I'm second guessing doing this bc I read that in flight it could get tossed around or handled roughly thus making it no longer safe. We could rent a car seat but who knows if that was involved in an accident or what crap it's covered in from previous use. 
    We gate checked M's car seat (and stroller) a few weeks ago. I bought the gate check bags on Amazon (they're red and $10) and we didn't have any problems. I read the same thing you did and was nervous but I didn't like my alternatives. Renting or having someone buy one where we were headed. So we took our chances and it all worked out. 
  • Thanks@LDSJM123 I just picked up some gate checked bags also. 
  • We've gate checked our car seat 7+ times and haven't seen anything wrong with it. Granted it could have internal damage, but I hope they are careful with it! I feel safer gate checking than renting. 
  • Gate checked ours too. They actually let us bring it on the plane and store it in an overhead bin....so it was never out of sight. But we had the travel bag (off Amazon) just in case.
  • My best friend is allergic to basically everything and so she's awesome at allergen-free baking. My birthday is this week and she made me soy and dairy free (and gluten free, so she could eat them too) chocolate espresso cupcakes that were frickin amazing. I have been missing cake.....

I'm sure you other moms dealing with allergies have already found good alternatives, but with Thanksgiving coming up I just had to share that mashed potatoes made with soy-free Earth Balance (good butter sub), unflavored coconut coffee creamer (not coconut cream, that tastes too coconutty), almond milk, and a bit of lemon juice is almost exactly like the normal dairy heavy mashed potatoes. I made some test potatoes this week and that was the final recipe that worked! Anyone else basically bringing their own meal to Thanksgiving?
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @winnie1122 I am bringing a few dairy free things for myself, but I'm kind of looking forward to not over eating terrible stuff and not gaining weight during the holidays! I never have self control during the holidays so I always go into the new year gaining weight and having to diet. But now I have no choice but to have control! 

I think im going to make an apple crisp and zucchini brownies that are both dairy free. I might try dairy free mashed potatoes, but I'm not sure yet! Thanks for the mashed potatoes tip! 
  • @winnie1122  I'm hosting thanksgiving, so everyone is going to have to suffer with me :) thank heaven for soyfree earth balance! 

Also, yes to the missing cake!! I was throwing myself a real pity party on my birthday bc all I wanted was vanilla cake. There is a bakery near us that actually does dairy/soy free goodies, but my husband did not pick up all my hints. On my birthday, I was a huge baby and told him that cake would have been better than the necklace he got me! Haha. He ended up surprising me with a cake this past weekend from there, and I stand by my original statement that cake is better than jewelry!! Give me all the cake!! 
  • Anyone else gotten their period? Mine arrived yesterday! Ugh. I'd blocked out what dealing with that is like. 
  • There's been a couple months where I have felt like it was "brewing" but it's not actually come yet. Not sure if it's because of my birth control or breastfeeding. But I don't even care. 

@TiffRox81
  • @TiffRox81- I got mine about 3 weeks ago. I'm not on birth control and I'm EB. It was heavier and longer than before DD2. I'm hoping it was just because it was my first one and it will be better next month. 
  • @TiffRox81 I thought I had gotten it back around 3 mo PP but that was just breakthrough PP bleeding. I sadly woke up to the real thing this morning, but I've had PMS symptoms for a couple weeks now. 
  • STM+ please tell me my boobs will shrink at some point! They were already huge, but now they're humongous and getting wildly out of control lol 
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• @FTM53 I'm so happy to read your positive moments!! And I second what a few extra hours sleep can do for a person - WONDERS!! Good for you!! 

Hahaha - deflated pancakes. I had a friend tell me that also! I was a solid C pre-babe. I'm expecting to be a very flat saggy C post-BF. I now understand the whole Mommy makes over!! 

Good to hear I'm not alone. I was a bit surprised since I'm basically EB'ing.
  • I guess one good thing about smaller breasts is there isn't much room to deflate! Lol! I was barely a B, BF for 18 months and then my breasts seemed exactly as before. 
  • I am envious of all of you who are just now getting your period back or still have yet to get it. I have been BFing and pumping since the beginning and I got mine back at 3 1/2 weeks PP  :/ It's come every month like clockwork...the first one was awful but since then they're pretty much back to what I was used to pre-pregnancy.

I loled at the flat pancakes comment. I can definitely see that. Just looking at my boobs I can already see the little bit of perkiness I used to have is goooone. It's ok though, C is worth the sag :D And I'll have a valid reason to invest in some pretty new bras once we stop nursing.
  • Jodi1980Jodi1980 member
    edited November 2016
     @john5111  Right?!.... I said deflated, national geographic...  :D 
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let's talk turkey! 

What are your thanksgiving plans? What are you cooking or bringing to the festivities? Any fun traditions?
  • Is anyone else so paranoid about your LO getting sick since we are getting deeper and deeper into "sick season"?  I feel like I bring home so many germs from work and all of the holiday family functions...every time she coughs I worry it will turn into something horrifying. 
  • We're going to three Thanksgivings that day since my hubs has extended family coming in that haven't met LO yet and this is the first holiday season since my parents separated so they will be in two different places. Sooo I'm bringing my own dairy and soy free versions of sides to my in-law's house: mashed potatoes, some sort of green bean dish, maybe some sort of roll. Then I'm bringing pecan pie, berry pie, and millionaire pie to my dad's. Mom is just having me and my siblings over in the evening since she has no family nearby so we're all bringing leftovers and just hanging out with her. If you need a to-die-for pecan pie recipe, The Pioneer Woman recipe is seriously the best pecan pie I've ever had/made, and it always gets rave reviews. Super easy to make too!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Also, I am still losing TONS of hair. Please tell me this doesn't last, it is ridiculous.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • @winnie1122 My two friends said it stopped around 6 months post partum. let's hope so because I'm surprised I have any hair left. 

@LDSJM123 My hubby handles the turkey. He hates pumpkin pie so I'm trying out a pumpkin cheesecake instead. We don't like green bean casserole so I am making parmesan roasted carrots. We're also trying out our stuffing from scratch this year. 
  • We had planned on traveling 6 hours to see my family for thanksgiving.  But...it seems like E has ether a little cold or trouble adjusting to recent weather change.  The thing is he is his normal happy self!  If he were sick and crabby, I'd easily cancel.  Am I crazy for still thinking of going?
  • I originally was going to stay home and have a small intimate dinner with C because DH has to work, but I felt bad not having her spend time with her family, so we are making the 6 hour drive home tomorrow with my dog. DH will be joining us on Friday. Wish me luck with all the crazy drivers and traffic I know will be facing.

@winnie1122 my hair is also falling out! Between the dog hair and my hair I don't know how our vacuum still works. It also doesn't help C really likes to pull on my hair :)