February 2017 Moms

Family Matters November

I'm thinking about making this a monthly thread,  now,  since we're getting into 3rd trimester and are probably going to have other types of threads come up.  Anyone opposed to this?

Re: Family Matters November

• I think monthly for this would be good. Sorry this is not a sunshine and rainbows one. My dad always manages to find a way to remind me why I haven't had anything to do with him in the past couple years now. Every time I start to feel badly about it, it doesn't last very long when I find out the latest shit he's pulled. He's such a toxic piece of crap. 

He hates my H and loves to talk shit about him to anyone who will listen. His latest target was my sister's fiancée's parents (who I haven't met yet but are very nice people from what I've been told.) My dad rambled on and on to these people about how much he thinks my H sucks to the point that they came up to my sister afterwards and said, "your poor brother in law to have had to deal with your dad all these years." He also sat there and made fun of gay people during their visit (not realizing one of my sister's fiancé's brothers is gay.) 

My H is the type who will call anyone out on their bs and always speaks his mind and my dad can't stand him because of that and many other ridiculous reasons. Luckily for my sister's fiancé, he's the complete opposite so he can do no wrong in the eyes of my dad. I warned my dad countless times years ago that until he could learn to have some basic respect for both my H and I as parents and as people, he will not get to be a part of his grandchildren's lives. Very sad, but he made his choice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My little sister got transferred to an new psychiatric facility last Wednesday, and I'm really upset with the previous facility she was at. They have been telling me for the last two weeks she needed to be transferred to a longer term facility because they only offer "acute care", primarily focus on regulating medication, and don't keep people past a month (she would have been there a month on Wednesday). They felt like she needed at least another 2 months in a more intensive care facility that offered more therapy. So this new facility opened up like 45 minutes away and they decided to go ahead and transfer her there. I was told by her therapist that this new facility would be more long term like she needed.

Come to find out, it's not. I talked to the new facility today and was told I was given wrong information, that they are an acute care facility that focuses on medication regulation and don't keep people past a month....are you freaking kidding me?! Her psychiatrist went on to tell me that they may even discharge her this week....WHY DID THEY EVEN TRANSFER HER IN THE FIRST PLACE?! I'm so mad at that other facility. We have nowhere for her to stay right now because we thought we had at LEAST another month to figure that out. I've got my in-laws coming to visit next week, so I have no spare rooms available. She's going to have to sleep in the game room on an air mattress. And now my mom is having to scramble to try and buy a plane ticket and get time off work so she can come get her and take her back to CA as soon as possible (because having her home alone while DH and I are at work makes me nervous, someone is always home at my mom's).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad my sister is doing better. But it does make me nervous that just a week ago she was threatening to kill herself as soon as she got out and her therapist was recommending longer, more intensive care....and now this new facility thinks she's fine? I just don't know what to think and I'm irritated no one at either facility has been more open with me as I am the ONLY family she has here and the only one able to help her until my mom can fly in.

I also feel super guilty because I keep finding myself feeling upset that I'm not able to enjoy my first pregnancy because my whole life has been consumed by this. Which is the most selfish thing ever, but I keep thinking it and I feel bad for thinking that way, because she's my sister and her health and safety is way more important than me basking in a pregnancy. It's just such a shitty situation.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @scifichick09 please don't feel guilty for thinking that. I think anyone in your situation would if they were honest with themselves. It's totally normal to think that and the fact that you have done so much to help your sister and are still working hard to try and figure out a long term solution means that you are being the furthest thing from selfish. I hope your sister really is doing better and that you guys are able to come up with a good long term solution! *hugs* 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @scifichick09 that is so frustrating. She may be fine being discharged but it would be helpful if there were outpatient programs to help her adjust. I'm sorry the facility isn't being more helpful.

Also, I dont judge you at all for your feelings. This is suposed to be a magical time and you arent able to fully enjoy it. I hope you are leaning on your support systems and trying to enjoy some baby-related things!
  • yogadevilyogadevil member
    edited November 2016
    @scifichick09 I don't blame you one bit for feeling resentful, then feeling guilty for the initial resentment. Caregiving is an emotional rollercoaster and there are LOTS of fluctuations of emotions that go along with it, and guilt usually (at least for me) ties in to many of them. I'm sorry you're having to face such a big mountain to climb in this situation, especially while pregnant. My heart goes out to your sister and your whole family right now. It's ridiculous that this new treatment facility wasn't explained to you better, and I'm really hoping their assessment of your sister is credible so everyone can have a little peace of mind. If she does need further treatment for stability purposes I'm hoping that's a much smoother transition for you all!

If you would like to chat or vent about the caregiving aspect of it, please don't hesitate to PM me :) (obviously I know she is in treatment right now and you're not physically caregiving, but the emotions/stress levels are the same and you're at the same risk of burnout, especially with the added stress of pregnancy)

(((Hugs)))
  • @scifichick09 thinking of you and your sister. It sounds like you have so much on your plate right now and you do deserve to enjoy your pregnancy! I hope you can figure it all out and get some relaxation time as well. Wish I could send you some brownies right now.  <3
  • @scifichick09 that is so frustrating! I hope the facility/therapists step up and come up with a strong plan for your sister. I don't blame you for not wanting her to be alone in your home if shr is still not stable.

Ugh. Mental health services are not what they need to be in this country.

Please continue to vent here. We're here for you. And you can PM me anytime too.
  • @homemake, how did it go with your dad today? 

@scifichick09, everyone pretty much nailed it, but even though you see it as just what anyone would do if they were in your shoes right now, the fact is that many people wouldn't. The kind of sister you're being to her right now is incredible, please don't forget that. It's okay to give yourself a little pat on the back for doing all that you are for her right now too especially while pregnant versus feeling guilty because you aren't thrilled about being in the position you are right now with her. You have every right to feel frustrated, drained and disappointed for both you and your sis. You are being anything but selfish. I really hope things work out so that your sis is where she needs to be for her care and so that you can just get to relax and enjoy the remainder of the pregnancy. 
  • Hey guys, so my sister got discharged Wednesday night. It was a freaking nightmare. Long story short, she's not what I would consider stable, she's totally not herself, tried to run off with some guy that she's apparently in love with that she met at the mental hospital (she tried to do this just as I was heading to bed, so I got like no sleep Wednesday night), and is refusing to eat. So I've been busy dealing with that and will be for the next 2 weeks, as she is staying with us until the end of the month. I've also got my brother in law and his fiancé coming to stay with us Wednesday - Monday for Thanksgiving, so there's just a lot going on. Just wanted to explain why I might be MIA for a while.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09 So sorry you're dealing with all this. Hang in there, and remember you can only do as much as you can do. Showing up is what counts -  and you are showing up for her in a big way right now. Try to take it one day at a time, and remember that your mom is coming to help! 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • I'm so very sorry @scifichick09. Please take care of yourself the best you can as you help your sister.
  • @scifichick09  I'm sorry your dealing with all this. I hope that everything calms down.
  • I am so sorry to hear all that @scifichick09. You are unbelievably strong for supporting your sister and your family through this, and someday when this is all over, I hope you celebrate what an incredible human you are. 
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • <3 You guys are giving me all the feels.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• I'm so sorry to hear this @scifichick09. Just know you are doing a great thing by helping your sister and we are all here for you!
  • @scifichick09 ((((hugs)))) I know it may feel like you're drowning in so much stress, but I see a woman who is stronger than steel. Everything you're doing WILL make a difference, little by little adds up to a lot!!

<3
  • @scifichick09 This is such a hard situation but you are doing so well and you are so strong! I hope you get to relax and enjoy some time with family. I hope your sister starts to stabilize soon. *hugs*
  • @scifichick09 man you deserve a medal and a vacation. 
  • @scifichick09 I'm sorry to read that you are still having an ongoing battle to get your sister the help she needs. I know it might be hectic with the holidays, but maybe the people coming in will be able to offer some more help and support. You are a great sister, she is lucky to have you. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PerraSucia that is a really good technique you posted.  Thank you very much for that! 
    Not to take away from @scifichick09 issues going on right now,  I've had my own family issues this week that also involve a family members mental Healthcare. 
    I can't even talk about it because it's stressing me out so much.  that's why I've avoided this thread all week. 
    But I just wanted to say, @scifichick09, please make sure to take care of yourself. You're doing an amazing and impossible job,  helping your sister. And at the end of the day, you may not get the thanks that you deserve,  which makes it even harder. But always know that you did everything you could for your sister.  And as much as we hate it,  sometimes we can't do it all and have to let them figure it out. And that's probably the worst feeling,  but just remind yourself that there's only so much you can do for her before the stress starts affecting your mind and body and BABY.  However, I hope and pray that things don't go that far and that your sister starts getting better extremely soon.  (Btw, you may want to notify the facility that she was at that she tried to run away with someone she met there.  They are supposed to watch for patients getting too attached to each other and they should still be able to help somehow.)

Good luck to you and try to do something special and rewarding for yourself every day.  

• @scifichick09 - hugs your way! and a medal of honor for being such a supportive and STRONG sister. i hope things get better soon, and that you also find time to take care of yourself during his stressful time

• Omg @becbec28 my MIL is like a fancy brand hoarder so first she fucked up my entire linen closet "hiding" her purse from my kids bday guests but then she went through all the presents andnany that came from a store she considered fancy she put the box in our closet. Wtf do I need 5 Janie and Jack boxes for. 
  • @PerraSucia Hahaha that's so annoying! If she wants the boxes tell her to take them with her! My MIL wanted to take all of my plastic tote boxes that I emptied out. I was like umm, no! I have an attic now, I paid for them, and I might need them. I don't want to have to get my boxes from your house!
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• I told my MIL the name weeks ago and then she asked me the other day what name we'd chosen. I ignored the fact I already told her and then ignored when she made an alternate suggestion. Then she called my husband yesterday and asked him if we'd picked out a name yet? 
  • @homemake we have more or less decided on 2 names & are waiting to see which suits her best when she arrives. I have told my mum & dad both this several times now & my mum seems to have gotten it & stopped asking. My dad however continues to ask every time i see him. Whilst my mil offers her alternative suggestions when i see her. Back off lady, you got to name 4 of your own!
  • Omg @becbec28 my MIL is like a fancy brand hoarder so first she fucked up my entire linen closet "hiding" her purse from my kids bday guests but then she went through all the presents andnany that came from a store she considered fancy she put the box in our closet. Wtf do I need 5 Janie and Jack boxes for. 
    But did she keep my Dollar Tree bag?? 
    she 100% did.