April 2017 Moms

BTDT moms- Advice on baby monitors?

Hi ladies! I can't remember if we have had a thread relating to baby monitors yet, I know there was some talk about it in a registry thread a while back but I thought maybe a specific thread could be helpful. 

We started slowly adding things to our baby registry over the last few weeks but I feel kind of lost on where to start with monitors! Any advise? Do you recommend one with video? Does yours have the wi-fi connectivity? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: BTDT moms- Advice on baby monitors?

• Following because we'll need a new one and were never quite satisfied with the many we went through with DD.

We started with a Sony Baby Call, which is no longer made. I got it for the voice activation because I think that is a nice feature when you are asleep, BUT the white noise we used kept it activated all the time anyway.

We got a video monitor later on (6 months?) because we had so much trouble with frequent wakings so it helped to see if she was really awake or just making noise. I think it's probably best to just go that route from the beginning.  I've heard too many horror stories from friends about their wifi being hacked and strange men talking to their baby....we wouldn't go that route. 

But our video monitor only lasted about a year so now we have a cheapie sound only I got at a second hand store. DD is 3 but we still use it because we can't hear her at night. 

Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • We had 2 monitors, a cheapo one I picked up at a garage sale and Infant Optics DXR-5 Portable Video Baby Monitor. Here's why we didn't really use it besides naps or travel for a few times.

1) The Infant Optics when it was on, it would mess with our wi-fi making it slow and not work and we couldn't stream Netflix or stuff like that after baby was asleep. 
    2) Dogs barking (we have tons in our neighborhood), storms, strong winds would set off the monitor and then wake me up even though the baby was sleeping. It seemed to be very sensitive.
    3) Noise carries through our house so I can hear right away if the baby's awake.
    4) The first 3 months I shared a room with the baby and didn't need the monitor.

So I'm in the camp where it was nice to have for peace of mind but really didn't get enough use out of it to justify the cost.
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Infant Optics DXR-8 is great for us and is the best I've seen from other friends.  Clearest picture and can use 2 cameras.  We had no issues with our wifi with it and it travels across 4 floors (we had a townhome) and into basement/garage/deck.  Worth it!
  • We spent a pretty penny on a Verizon video monitor for my DD3, but it stopped functioning well after only a few months and I ended up buying a cheap sound-only one by vtech for DS4 and I love it. My sister got the same one and I have a second set to easily take with me when traveling. I do keep mine plugged in at all times bc the battery only lasts so long and I hate having to remember to charge it. For us, simple and reliable has worked out better. 
  • We have a levana Keera video monitor and love it. haven't found one thing we dislike and we've had it for over a year now. No WiFi connectivity is important to us since they're pretty easy to hack into. 
  • Thanks ladies! I had heard creepy stories about wifi so I think we are avoiding that route!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Has anyone tried the Puretech Baby Wifi Video Camera? This is the one I am thinking of trying out but wanted to see if anyone has tested it our personally. 

Also, @wagnerw and @Koukonei what are the issues with using a Wifi connected monitor? People hack them? To watch the baby??? Eeek!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a huge Angelcare monitor fan. We will use it again. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • MWoodside said:
    I'm a huge Angelcare monitor fan. We will use it again. 
    How long has it held up?
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • I have the summer infant WiFi monitor. I love it! It's a video monitor and it also connects to my phone. I've used it daily for my 10 month old since the day she was born and the only problem I've had is that sometimes the app doesn't connect to the monitor (but I never use the app anyway so it's not a problem for me, I just use the actual monitor).
  • We used a hand-me-down baby monitor from the 90s with DD. We used it for a couple of months and then stopped for the most part. It drove me crazy to hear every little noise she made all night long. Our bedroom shared a wall with her's so it was really necessary. They just annoyed me for some reason. We got by with no problem on a 20 year old used one and then nothing. So, we will probably just get the cheapest one out there for this next baby. I would definitely never get a wi-fi one, because of the creepy factor. 

I'm a weirdo, the odd man out, I know. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cafedisco said:
    MWoodside said:
    I'm a huge Angelcare monitor fan. We will use it again. 
    How long has it held up?

6.5 years so far. Still works perfectly.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I've been using a summer infant monitor for 3 years.  Added on a second camera when DD was born.  Zero complaints.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • We've been using a Motorola video monitor for 2.5 years and we've had no complaints.  Now we're just trying to debate what we will do when this little one gets here since the Motorola only has 2 cameras and I like having one downstairs and up in their room when they are little. That way I can go grab a shower no matter where they are napping.  We're debating just getting DS a sound monitor that way we can hear him at night and using the Motorola for the baby. We'll see how DS does with transitioning to a big boy bed in December and decide from there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We used an Avent audio monitor... that is until I accidentally ran the parent unit through the washing machine...  :D After that I just bought a cheap audio monitor where the parent base couldn't be carried around. We're going to use the same cheap audio monitor left over from DD.

However I do think we are going to purchase the Snuza to attach to DS diaper for the first few months for peace of mind because we put DD in her crib in their nursery after being home just a few days. We plan on doing the same with DS, so I've heard good things about them. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker