Baby Names
Options

Proper Spelling & Girl Names

I decided to do this thread two-fold so that I'm not popping up all over the boards haha! 

I am quite fond of the name Anya but I'm also concerned about spelling it the "original" way so I'm not sure which is "right." Aanya or Anya? 

We already have a boy name and we didn't have to go through separate lists to figure it out. I knew what I liked and DH is on board so that was easy. Thankfully. :) These are my favourite girl names. DH is surprisingly harder with girl names. *sigh* LOL He might even kibosh all these then I'm back to square one. 

Evelyn (have a cousin with a girl named Everly. I don't think that would stop me however as I feel they are different names. I think this is my fav so far although maybe too popular?)  
Anya
Arya
Ava 

Not sure why I gravitate to A names and especially ones that sound similar, but apparently I do. Do you feel any are overused these days? I work at a recreational facility and handle events which also includes booking birthdays so I come across a LOT of kids names. 

TIA! 
Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie

Re: Proper Spelling & Girl Names

• Options
    KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited November 2016
    I have never seen Anya spelled with the double A. on behind the name it says it's user submitted (the double A spelling), which I generally take to mean it's not considered a legitimate name. 

Both Evelyn and Ava are pretty popular right now, but they are still solid name choices and I feel if you really like the name to go ahead and use them. Anya is very nice, I haven't heard it often, so it's refreshing.

please say no to Arya. it reeks of fan girl trying to be cool. and while all of the other names are classic and will age well, this one will date her and everybody will know she was born while GoT was big. 

Edit, clarity
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love Anya. Skip the double A. Evelyn and Ava are nice as well, but Anya is less popular and lovely. I've never watched GOT so I don't get the reference. I'm also unfamiliar with Arya. How is it pronounced? Uh-ry-uh or Are-yuh?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love Anya; it's so refreshing. I've never seen the double a spelling.

Evelyn, Ava, and Arya/Aria are all pretty popular in my area right now, and Arya/Aria has the double whammy against it in it being trendy because of GoT and PLL.
  • Options
    I love Anya... very pretty and underused
  • Options
    I have never seen Anya spelled with the double A. on behind the name it says it's user submitted (the double A spelling), which I generally take to mean it's not considered a legitimate name. 

Both Evelyn and Ava are pretty popular right now, but they are still solid name choices and I feel if you really like the name to go ahead and use them. Anya is very nice, I haven't heard it often, so it's refreshing.

please say no to Arya. it reeks of fan girl trying to be cool. and while all of the other names are classic and will age well, this one will date her and everybody will know she was born while GoT was big. 

Edit, clarity
    True.  I worry about the GoT reference with the name Arya.  I did discover that both Evelyn and Ava are pretty popular right now.  Booo!  Evelyn is still my first choice though as I think it is a lovely name.  Agree about Aanya too.  There is only a few places I have seen it with a double A and it does look a little funny haha!  Thanks! :)
  • Options
    nurse714 said:
    I love Anya. Skip the double A. Evelyn and Ava are nice as well, but Anya is less popular and lovely. I've never watched GOT so I don't get the reference. I'm also unfamiliar with Arya. How is it pronounced? Uh-ry-uh or Are-yuh?
    Are-yuh.  It's a name of one of the main characters which is not why I chose it, but I agree with other posters that it might be seen as such since GoT is really popular.  
  • Options
    Yes I agree that Anya is very beautiful and I don't think I have ever come across it myself.  It's a Russian form of Anna.  I am not a fan of Anna at all haha!  But Anya just sounds so lovely.  Hopefully DH won't kibosh it haha! *fingers*crossed*  Thankfully Anya reminds me of absolutely no one  which is the hardest part when picking names.  I like a lot but they remind me of people I'd really rather not be reminded of haha! 
  • Options
    Anya for sure
  • Options
    I agree with those saying Anya is a refreshing choice. I know 6 Avas and 4 Evelyns under the age of 4. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anya seems correct to me and it's a great name IMO. 

Evelyn and Ava are very popular and maybe trending out - I'd avoid although they are beautiful names. 

Arya - frankly I think of Aryan and white supremacists upon first thought. It also seems made up to me...potentially by a white supremacist. Sorry this is where my brain took me.  I am not familiar with GoT so didn't know the reference.  Then I thought oh, it's a misspelling of Aria. Hard no to Arya. Aria is a beautiful, musical name though IMO. 

• Options
    DH kiboshed Anya.  It was actually really funny.  He was unsure of how to pronounce it at first and said "onion." I laughed pretty hard.  Maybe he will come around.  I'm of the opinion that he just has to say it a couple times to get the hang of it haha!  I do love it.  I think it has bumped Evelyn from the top of my list. 

Arya (or Aria) was a little less of my favourite and I have now noticed how popular Ava and Evelyn are.  
  • Options
    I think I'm the only one, but not a fan of Anya for some reason.  My mind thinks of the word "anal" when I see it.  I love Aria (with that spelling)!
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited November 2016
    Guess what?! DH asked me about Anya today, he said he's been thinking about it :smile: We were discussing spelling so we looked it up and the original spelling, and what you would most often see in those countries is "Anja." I am not a fan but DH is on board if we spell it that way. I'm going to try to get him to come around but if he doesn't, I'm willing to compromise. (It does look funny. Pray he comes around haha!)  

A nicer thing we found out is that it is common in Germany as well which is more in line with my ancestry. It's not overly important but I figured people might ask why I gave my kid a Russian name when I'm not Russian. Now I can say it's German too! 

P. S I just told him I really don't like that spelling and he seems to be okay with that.  BONUS! :smiley:
  • Options
    Yay! I like Evelyn (it's my LOs name) but I agree it's popular right now - although classic not trendy in my opinion so it won't be regretful for me at least. I'd go with Anya, which is pretty and unique but recognizable.
  • Options
    kimikimi said:
    Anya seems correct to me and it's a great name IMO. 

Evelyn and Ava are very popular and maybe trending out - I'd avoid although they are beautiful names. 

Arya - frankly I think of Aryan and white supremacists upon first thought. It also seems made up to me...potentially by a white supremacist. Sorry this is where my brain took me.  I am not familiar with GoT so didn't know the reference.  Then I thought oh, it's a misspelling of Aria. Hard no to Arya. Aria is a beautiful, musical name though IMO. 

Arya is completely legitimate and a different name from Aria with a slight pronounciation difference (ARH-yah). It is an Indo-Iranian name that is unisex and means noble. It has nothing to do with white supremacists. Just so you know :)

I love all your name choices though, OP. I've only ever seen it spelled Anya or Anja. Though I personally love Anya and Arya most.

DH: 29 Myself: 26
    Married November 2012
    DD: Born Dec 7 2014