February 2017 Moms

The official breastfeeding thread

Re: The official breastfeeding thread

• @gretchypoo Thank you for the warning.  Will back slowly away from the Google.
  • Question for STMs.  One of my girlfriends suggested starting to use the pump a week or two before my due date for a couple of reasons - to get the nipples used to the sensation, and to help your milk come in faster once you have the baby.  Is this a thing that anyone did or would think is useful?  Or is this just silly?   
    That sounds like a terrible idea to me. I mean, you wouldn't want your milk to come in yet and you'd want to save the colostrum for your newborn. And at the same time you also wouldn't want your nipples to hurt before the baby is even here too! But I've also never heard of it. Did she do it herself? Did she run into any issues?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • So...ummm...FTM here. I have no clue about pumps or breastfeeding. I've asked my friends who have kids and BF and have pumps but no one has been super helpful. I understand that I can talk to a lactation consultant in the hospital to help me. Should I just wait until then or is there anything I should do ahead of time?

Second, how does one acquire a breast pump through the insurance? I've told my husband to call (his insurance) and he has no idea who to direct the call to. Is there a specific person or a third party one calls? If it matters, we have BCBS and are in MI.

Lastly, any resources that you'd recommend for a FTM? I'm planning on BF unless there is an issue, but I'd like to have some pumping ability to have DH feed him. I'm planning on being a SAHM but with a couple hours of part time work a week of it works out.

Thanks!
  • @purplewriter I went to Aeroflow breast pumps website and put in my insurance information. They then sent me an approval email with the covered pumps, and even called my OB for me to get the prescription! I got a shipment notification within an hour of selecting my pump and giving them my OBs phone number... so I highly recommend them!!

Asking for the LC in the hospital is the best advice I can give, and I'd also recommend a breastfeeding class ahead of time if you can!
  • @Starfish113 my friend didn't do this herself, but her sister who is a doctor had recommended she do it before she had her baby.  She didn't do it, and said that she regretted not doing it because the pain from breastfeeding was so great that she wished she would have prepared herself a little more for it (and that's why she recommended I do it).  I think this is in line with all of the "toughen your nips" stuff.  She just felt like she had no idea how much it would hurt, and if she had previously felt the sensation with the pump, maybe it would have been a little easier to adjust to it.  But I don't know - I agree that it sounds like you would just have sore nipples prior to even starting breastfeeding which might be even worse. 
  • So just to go back to the notion of pumping before baby- it might only be good for inducing, if your body is ready. If you do pump colostrum, you're not taking any away from the baby- your body continues to produce colostrum until the placenta detaches and then prolactin kicks into high gear and starts making milk. People also used to recommend using sandpaper to toughen up nipples/ crazy lunatics. You have to remember- your body usually knows what it is doing so try to just enjoy the last few weeks prebaby and get some rest. 
  • @purplewriter For the breastpump from insurance-- I called the customer service # on the back of my card and asked about coverage for breastpumps. they directed me to about 5 websites where I could order a breastpump once ive given birth. At the websites i just put in what type of insurance i had and they had a list of what was covered and how much it cost. It was actually pretty easy
  • Thanks @Gretchypoo and @homemake! I appreciate the advice & suggestions. 

Toughening nipples sounds painful. And with sand paper!? I...can't even...omg that sounds horrible.

Also apparently both BF and pumping is more painful than previously anticipated. I assumed with wasn't pleasurable and maybe even a little painful at first. But boy...to a FTM, formula feeding sounds so enticing. But I'm determined to give BF a fair shot!
  • Kellymom.com is an amazing site with tons of information! I used it so much when I had DS.
    Same! 
  • The only reason I've heard of to try to pump before giving birth is to try to cause yourself to go into labor.

With DD, I used a PJ's comfort by Limerick and didn't know that it wasn't working very well for me until I had DS and used the PISA.  The comfort level and output difference were huge!

With this baby I'm between the PISA and the Hygeia Enjoye.  I had good results with the PISA so I'm hesitant to switch it up, but I really like the closed system of the Enjoye.  @cinderin What did you prefer about the Hygeia over the PISA?
    I thought it had slightly better suction. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • As a ftm and completely unsure what to expect, im kinda worried about my milk supply. I have quite big boobs to begin (ff cup) with but they havent gotten any bigger since becoming pregnant & am still wearing all my pre pregnancy bras. I feel like this is probably a silly concern but the fact that they havnt increased in size means that i will have trouble with supply & being able to breastfeed. Im going to mention it to my midwife at my next appointment but feel a bit stupid.
  • Thanks @homemake im a bit paranoid about it as everyone seems to talk about the increase in size from early pregnancy & whilst they were very painful in the early days theyre just not any bigger.
  • Janefelicity said:
    Thanks @homemake im a bit paranoid about it as everyone seems to talk about the increase in size from early pregnancy & whilst they were very painful in the early days theyre just not any bigger.

STUCK IN THE BOX!!
    Mine have gotten bigger both pregnancies, and I did not produce much milk at all last time. So there may not be a strong correlation between the two!
  • OK, FTM here so two random questions:

1. My hospital offers BF classes that my OB said she would recommend.  I am due 02/21, would you do the class on 01/04 or 02/04? Those are the days offered.  Wasn't sure if i should go as close as possible so it's fresh in my mind!

2. What exactly do you use a shield for?  It seems like it avoids any pain, so I am wondering why you wouldn't start out with it.  Is it just annoying to use? Is it hard for the baby and is more a last resort thing?

• The shield could help for a variety of reasons but I was given one because my nipples were bruised from an initial bad latch. I found it more of a nuisance to use and ended up forgoing it. I don't think you want to have to use one but it's a nice thing to have if you are having issues that would warrant one. My LC sized me and showed me how to use it so I would probably do a wait and see type thing. @leslie1331
  • thanks!! I dont know why that part has me confused :) I will just wait and see what the LC at the hospital says and go from there. (I am trying to stock up on stuff beforehand, so I wasn't sure if that something I should be looking for.)
  • I used the shield because DD wouldn't latch without it. There must be something wrong with my nips! I agree with homemake that it's a pain though. 
  • I used the shield because DD wouldn't latch without it. There must be something wrong with my nips! I agree with homemake that it's a pain though. 
    Same here. 
    As soon as she latched without it BFing was so much easier. 
  • I had to use a shield with ds the entire 14 months I bf because he couldn't get a good latch because of semi inverted nips and then he refused to wean from it. It was such a pita. Granted it was nice to never feel little teeth try to bite. But seriously I could never nurse in public descretly because I'd have to pull out my entire boob, position the shield then have him latch. Then afterwards there was inevitably milk in it that would go everywhere and then my whole boob would be out. It made nursing more stressful for me. 
    Dd latched really well and I didn't need a shield and it was a total game changer for bf for me. Like I didn't mind with my son but didn't get the whole I love this thing. But I definitely got it with dd. Like I could nurse in public easily etc. didn't have to worry about where I put my shield and if it was clean. Freaking out if I couldn't find it because I knew my kid wouldn't eat. If you don't have to use one, definitely avoid it! Also I found out later- it didn't affect me, but supposedly it can your supply. Almost like the difference between the pump and a baby. I guess the baby not straight latching- they can't necessarily suck as hard? Idk really. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • another vote for avoid the shield if you can. 

another vote for a vast difference of expertise between LCs. find a really good one you trust (like any medical professional). 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • @Janefelicity - there is no correlation between size and supply. My mom had major over-supply and is/was a AA (no change in size during pregnancy either). That said, there can be issue related to size/shape of nipple, and I see others have recommended nipple shields, so you may want to look into that.

• @leslie1331 - I'd say do the earlier class because honestly, what if you go into labour earlier and miss the class? I'd play it safe.

Same here. The shield saved me with two of my children. I think I may have smaller nipples or something...I had trouble getting my last two babies to latch. Once I used the shield- zero problems! I really don't understand why they discourage them. If it hadn't been for the nipple shield, I probably would have given up on breastfeeding. I eventually (after probably 3-4 weeks) was able to stop using it. I went on to EBF for a year! 
  • Should I stock up on nursing pads before I give birth? I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow, and haven't had any leaking yet, or at least none that was noticeable. 
  • I ordered a box that just came yesterday from Amazon of the nursing pads that I had used before. I also clearly remember stealing as many as I could from the hospital because I really liked the ones they had there.  

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are there brands of reusable nursing pads you all recommend? My cousin just started BFing (her babe is 7wks old) and she's liking "Baby Bliss" reusable pads.
  • Are there brands of reusable nursing pads you all recommend? My cousin just started BFing (her babe is 7wks old) and she's liking "Baby Bliss" reusable pads.
    I bought the Medela ones with DS. They're still in great shape and I much prefer re-usable to disposable. I bought at least 20 of them and you can just throw them in the wash with your clothes. So easy!
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • @Gretchypoo my cousin has recommended avent nipple shells to me which are like nipple sheilds but also collect leaks. Will update when i actually start using them.

• @Gretchypoo Obviously FTM here but I ordered these off Amazon after reading the reviews and I think someone posted similar ones on here before? I figured for the cost they were worth a shot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FTXGDP8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484248881&sr=8-2&keywords=m&y+nursing+pads
  • Aussie45Aussie45 member
    edited January 2017
    @Gretchypoo I can't remember what kind I have but I (obviously) second the buying of re-usable. It of course depends on a persons preference, but they're super easy to throw into the wash with other clothes!
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • kirstynikolekirstynikole member
    edited January 2017
    I used some re-usable breast pads called "Bamboobies", mostly because I chuckled at the name, and secondly because they were so soft! The overnight ones were great, and I did like the normal/day ones as well. Definitely nowhere near as bulky as others. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bamboobies-Super-soft-Washable-Nursing-Pads/dp/B004H60BZW/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484252488&sr=8-3&keywords=bamboobies
  • @lfrank12 I ordered the same ones and they're totally on par with my previous bamboobies which arenstill in perfect shape after 18 months of heavy use. 

Those sheild ones that catch your milk leaked ALL OVER for me and you have to be nuts careful not to bend over ever